Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ISP

Dusty May - FAU HC - Former IU student manager

15 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Not sure how that makes us “wrong.” Cinderella coaches get hired by P5 programs all the time. The ‘skepticism’ is skepticism that said coaches can actually replicate their success at the P5 level. Take Porter Moser, for example. Does great at a mid major. Goes to Oklahoma and he’s 34-32 overall and 12-24 in the Big 12 during his first two seasons. 

I was more referring to the part where you stated “if he didn’t have an IU connection.”  I think many people with no IU connection realize he’s good.  And I get the comparison with Porter Moser but, respectfully, there is no comparison. I’ve certainly not followed FAU to the extent I’ve followed IU, but I’ve done much more than just spend a few seconds looking at his record.  If you want to compare him with coaches who have made magical runs, think more Brad Stevens and less Porter Moser, Archie Miller, etc.

29 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Not sure how that makes us “wrong.” Cinderella coaches get hired by P5 programs all the time. The ‘skepticism’ is skepticism that said coaches can actually replicate their success at the P5 level. Take Porter Moser, for example. Does great at a mid major. Goes to Oklahoma and he’s 34-32 overall and 12-24 in the Big 12 during his first two seasons. 

Or, ya know, Archie Miller.

1 hour ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I was more referring to the part where you stated “if he didn’t have an IU connection.”  I think many people with no IU connection realize he’s good.  And I get the comparison with Porter Moser but, respectfully, there is no comparison. I’ve certainly not followed FAU to the extent I’ve followed IU, but I’ve done much more than just spend a few seconds looking at his record.  If you want to compare him with coaches who have made magical runs, think more Brad Stevens and less Porter Moser, Archie Miller, etc.

So you're saying that even if he didn't have an IU connection there would still be a thread, now at 6 pages, dedicated to him with IU fans saying they want him as the next coach? This even though IU just had its most successful season in over half a decade? There was a thread about Porter Moser but that was a different situation since IU had just fired Miller at the time. 

It's too early to tell if he's closer to Stevens than Miller or vice versa. Time will tell that either by FAU remaining good and having deep runs with him at the helm (or not) or by how he does at his next stop.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree whether or not he would have a thread about him right now clamoring for him to be IU's next coach  if he wasn't connected to IU. I'm not buying it. 

I'm not ready to anoint him the next big thing or say he should be IU's next coach; as I said about Miller I want to see more.  He's done a good job there so far and getting to the Final Four with FAU is impressive.  How do they do next year etc?  That's a wait and see.

I'm skeptical of getting back to the Final Four, that's difficult to do anyway, but tourney appearances etc.  And him going to the Final Four with a team he assembled is not a comparison to Mike Davis going to the title game with a team Bob Knight built.

This is obviously premature but  I will say one of the reasons I like Dusty more than say Porter is his system. They play modern basketball and he's shown at least this year that he can coach an offense and defense good enough to win a title. Porter was so one sided and I didn't have much faith a defense only coach would translate to higher level competition. If Dusty manages to keep everyone next year, they could be even better. They only have one senior on the roster. 

13 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm not saying we should bring him here now; the timing may not work on this one. But we also can't write off coaches having success at mid-majors because we're afraid we might get another Archie Miller. 

I imagine if any of the us on the board had one conversation with Archie we would have realized he wasn’t a good fit. I’ll never understand that hire for the life of me… he was my 5th pick after Holtmann, Mack, and a few others. (Ironic that none of them are working out) I actually liked the idea of Woodson when we his name was thrown out.

Not to bash on Osterman…. But listening to a former player on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast vs Osterman on the mind your banners podcast with both topics being post Mortem’s of the season… it seems like the “writers” around the program are kinda clueless. 

44 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

So you're saying that even if he didn't have an IU connection there would still be a thread, now at 6 pages, dedicated to him with IU fans saying they want him as the next coach? This even though IU just had its most successful season in over half a decade? There was a thread about Porter Moser but that was a different situation since IU had just fired Miller at the time. 

It's too early to tell if he's closer to Stevens than Miller or vice versa. Time will tell that either by FAU remaining good and having deep runs with him at the helm (or not) or by how he does at his next stop.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree whether or not he would have a thread about him right now clamoring for him to be IU's next coach  if he wasn't connected to IU. I'm not buying it. 

I don't know if there would be a thread about him.  I never made a claim about that one way or the other.  Maybe there would be.  He's accomplished something pretty special.  What I said was a lot of people with no IU ties are going to want him.  A lot of people with no IU ties know how good he is.  They've probably done more than glance at his record and find some guys they don't like to compare him to.

For anyone really interested, FAU, unlike Loyola-Chicago, and certainly unlike Dayton and Butler, has accomplished nothing in basketball.  They had something like 8 straight losing seasons when May took over.  The previous coach won about as many games in 4 years as May has won this year.  May started with next to nothing, but has had all winning seasons, and five consecutive of them.  For those who think he just stunk for 4 years and all of a sudden became good this year, his KenPom rankings the past 4 years have gone 191-181-129-17.  They were consistently ranked 240-300 for many years before he took over.  He has been building this at, again, a place that has never done anything.  He's an extraordinary difference maker there.  It is astonishing.  So I'm not sure what you are "not buying."

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I'm not sure what you are asking.   If it's about the line 'built a freaking program' line, I think you and I are interpreting that differently.  I am interpreting 'freaking program' to mean one with a longer history of sustained results than one that has made one tournament.

I’m saying they never had a winning season, hired Dusty and now have had 5 in a row. To me that’s building a program.

He could win 2 more games and win a national championship with FAU and that still wouldn’t guarantee he would be successful at IU.   He could lose the next game and then have 5 straight losing seasons and that still wouldn’t guarantee he would be a failure at IU.   Past success or failure doesn’t guarantee future results. 

When I listened to the pregame radio interview coach Woodson said his top priority is getting iu back to where it needs to be. He also said he is not sure how much longer he is going to do this. Imo if he means what he is saying I believe if he thinks someone would be a good replacement to take over and keep moving iu in the right direction he would retire. Just my opinion. I will say it's odd th hear a iu coach finishing up his second season and already saying he isn't sure how much longer he will do this.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

This from a non-CBB board I frequent:

I worked at FAU for a few years, including for May's first 2 years where I worked with May in regards to his players and their academic progress.

He really cared about his players and their studies... this doesn't sound revelatory but I can tell you that in some other schools I have worked for (cough.... ahem, FSU) this is really not the case.

In my experience with him he was a really good person who was genuinely concerned about his players' academic progress.

Just wild to experience this, I still know a whole slew of people at the school and everybody is nothing short of stunned by what has happened in the past few weeks.

It is almost unfathomable how he built this program..... I could tell you a thousand stories about their lack of resources, lack of overall local interest, and where this program was when he got here.

He built this out of literally nothing.”

cool to hear things like this. Even in the on-court postgame the first thing May said about the guy who iced the game with FTs was about the student-athlete’s engineering degree.  

And it seems to this point a different situation than Archie and Dayton given the difference in resources 

4 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

When I listened to the pregame radio interview coach Woodson said his top priority is getting iu back to where it needs to be. He also said he is not sure how much longer he is going to do this. Imo if he means what he is saying I believe if he thinks someone would be a good replacement to take over and keep moving iu in the right direction he would retire. Just my opinion. I will say it's odd th hear a iu coach finishing up his second season and already saying he isn't sure how much longer he will do this.

If his main priority is to get IU back to where it needs to be then saying he doesn’t know how much longer he is going to do this would be opposite of that.   If you’re a 23 or 24 kid why on earth would you come to IU if the head coach that wants you to come play for them might not be there.   IU would and probably is getting negative recruited on his age anyway.     Just my opinion but I think there is 0 change Woody leaves early and he will coach out his contract and at least get one extension for recruiting purposes. The length of that contract extension will be the first tell in how long he really plans on doing this 

If his main priority is to get IU back to where it needs to be then saying he doesn’t know how much longer he is going to do this would be opposite of that.   If you’re a 23 or 24 kid why on earth would you come to IU if the head coach that wants you to come play for them might not be there.   IU would and probably is getting negative recruited on his age anyway.     Just my opinion but I think there is 0 change Woody leaves early and he will coach out his contract and at least get one extension for recruiting purposes. The length of that contract extension will be the first tell in how long he really plans on doing this 
I agree but he 100 percent said he doesn't know how much longer he is going to do this. I was a bit surprised

Just now, coonhounds said:

I agree but he 100 percent said he doesn't know how much longer he is going to do this. I was a bit surprised

Then IU shouldn’t expect any top recruits to go to IU.  Do you have a link to that interview?   Damage control would be needed badly 

Then IU shouldn’t expect any top recruits to go to IU.  Do you have a link to that interview?   Damage control would be needed badly 
No. It was the radio interview pregame of the first tournament game. It wasn't a normal interview with fisch it sounded like a media interview. Like a press conference for the tournament. Surely someone on here heard it or could find it somewhere.