Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ISP

Dusty May - FAU HC - Former IU student manager

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We definitely need some kind of recruiting news to help us regain our focus.  This place is getting loonier than a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

News:  IU has reached out to the three members of the Monstars who are in the portal.

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

So if he said yes the winds have changed you would change your stance one way or the other on the matter?  I have a hard time believing people are influenced  by others in the way they think on a message board.  I don’t think it’s that deep 

How I wish this were true and group think didn't exist like that. We're human and are influenced by others. Research in other areas we can't mention here prove this but we can't go into that.

I don't have the privilege of inside sources on this topic like some do. I have to rely on what those inside sources provide to form my opinion. I'm glad we can get that inside information to influence our opinions.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

How I wish this were true and group think didn't exist like that. We're human and are influenced by others. Research in other areas we can't mention here prove this but we can't go into that.

I don't have the privilege of inside sources on this topic like some do. I have to rely on what those inside sources provide to form my opinion. I'm glad we can get that inside information to influence our opinions.

Damn, what USPS said and what you replied are both true.

Help, I don't have a side to take!

Confused-eyes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

That’s your way of processing stuff not everyone else’s.   My opinion isn’t going to change one way or the other just because someone else gives their opinion.  But that just me

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think the context of how Woody said it makes all the difference in the world and in that context it's not nearly as earth shattering as it sounds vs. pulling a single sentence from an interview.  

Mike Woodson pre-Kent State media availability: March 16, 2023 - YouTube

He says it at about the 6:48 mark of this video.

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

That’s your way of processing stuff not everyone else’s.   My opinion isn’t going to change one way or the other just because someone else gives their opinion.  But that just me

Goodness, I'd hope you realize this isn't the way I process information provided here or anywhere else. I would hope you could form your own opinions but that doesn't go for everyone.

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

He could lose the next game and then have 5 straight losing seasons and that still wouldn’t guarantee he would be a failure at IU.

The list of guys with 5 straight losing seasons, especially after they built their program, and then having success at a place like IU is going to be incredibly short.   

Certainly nothing is guaranteed, but generally when you’re looking to the lower ranks you’re looking for guys with sustained success relative to their peers, their program, and then against better teams if possible. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Goodness, I'd hope you realize this isn't the way I process information provided here or anywhere else. I would hope you could form your own opinions but that doesn't go for everyone.

Figured as much  and just  assumer you used “we” in jest every time you ask a question but you never know 

He says it at about the 6:48 mark of this video.

I saw this at the time and that comment kinda stuck with me as well. It’s a small blip and didn’t garner any real attention but it’s definitely a window into his frame of mind. At least the rest of the content is about getting Indiana back on top and he seems willing to do what he thinks is necessary to achieve that. I hope he avoids this phraseology going forward.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I don't know if there would be a thread about him.  I never made a claim about that one way or the other.  Maybe there would be.  He's accomplished something pretty special.  What I said was a lot of people with no IU ties are going to want him.  A lot of people with no IU ties know how good he is.  They've probably done more than glance at his record and find some guys they don't like to compare him to.

For anyone really interested, FAU, unlike Loyola-Chicago, and certainly unlike Dayton and Butler, has accomplished nothing in basketball.  They had something like 8 straight losing seasons when May took over.  The previous coach won about as many games in 4 years as May has won this year.  May started with next to nothing, but has had all winning seasons, and five consecutive of them.  For those who think he just stunk for 4 years and all of a sudden became good this year, his KenPom rankings the past 4 years have gone 191-181-129-17.  They were consistently ranked 240-300 for many years before he took over.  He has been building this at, again, a place that has never done anything.  He's an extraordinary difference maker there.  It is astonishing.  So I'm not sure what you are "not buying."

I was pretty clear about what I'm not buying so I'll just quote myself:

3 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree whether or not he would have a thread about him right now clamoring for him to be IU's next coach  if he wasn't connected to IU. I'm not buying it. 

If you think we'd still have a thread dedicated to him with people clamoring for him to be the next coach at this time with IU having just had a relatively successful season and not looking for a coach if he weren't connected to IU, that's your right. But I'll just ask where is the thread dedicated to Jerome Tang who has done a fabulous job at K State? Why is there no thread for him right now? I'll venture that it's because he doesn't have an IU connection. If IU was looking for a new coach, there would be a thread for him. I would put money on that.

No one is saying that May hasn't done a good job at FAU because he has and this run is great. But so many saying right now that he should be IU's next coach? Premature. 

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I saw this at the time and that comment kinda stuck with me as well. It’s a small blip and didn’t garner any real attention but it’s definitely a window into his frame of mind. At least the rest of the content is about getting Indiana back on top and he seems willing to do what he thinks is necessary to achieve that. I hope he avoids this phraseology going forward.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

So does that mean stepping aside if it's clear that there's another younger coach available with a better chance of getting IU back on top?

I like May but don’t want CMW to leave until he is ready.  I have no knowledge just that he doesn’t strike me as someone that wants to keep pounding the recruiting 365 days a year.  I picture him more on the golf course with a cigar and a good drink with his buddies than at a hot gym watching AAU games in the summer.  Or I could be completely wrong.  He is big on winning a banner but how long does he want to chase it?  He already has the program in a better place than it has been at in years.

13 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Low bar, his predecessor didn't make the tournament.

And the only reason Woody made the tournament is because of Trayce Jackson Davis, an Archie recruit.  Where are we right now if he had left after 2 years?

3 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

And the only reason Woody made the tournament is because of Trayce Jackson Davis, an Archie recruit.  Where are we right now if he had left after 2 years?

TJD was not the same player under Woodson as he was with Archie.  At some point you have to give coaching credit.

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

I was pretty clear about what I'm not buying so I'll just quote myself:

If you think we'd still have a thread dedicated to him with people clamoring for him to be the next coach at this time with IU having just had a relatively successful season and not looking for a coach if he weren't connected to IU, that's your right. But I'll just ask where is the thread dedicated to Jerome Tang who has done a fabulous job at K State? Why is there no thread for him right now? I'll venture that it's because he doesn't have an IU connection. If IU was looking for a new coach, there would be a thread for him. I would put money on that.

No one is saying that May hasn't done a good job at FAU because he has and this run is great. But so many saying right now that he should be IU's next coach? Premature. 

Lol.  I didn’t say he should be our next coach either.  I said other P5s will want him.  And they will.

Just watched Coach May on Dan Dakich, here's a few notes. 

-Dude is an extremely likable guy, very charismatic and upbeat. No doubt a players coach. 

-Clearly is very fond of his time at IU and the state of Indiana in general.

-He will forever be a student of the game. Always is reading and watching and learning something new about the game. 

-Tells the players "if you do what we tell you to do then the wins are yours and the losses are ours (coaches)". Says he got that from one of Dean Smith's books.

-After the interview was over, Dakich says that "Woodson will probably be out of there in a year or two and they should hire him (Dusty)... I'd hire him right now". 

Edited by ISP