Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Basically the same.  If you want to be great, you adjust.  If you just want to cash a check and get bought out, then you don't.  
To me unwilling shows a certain arrogance. It's what comes when people believe they are always the smartest person in the room. Those type of people refuse to adjust.

Sent from my SM-S901U using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Our sons are about the same age. He grew up watching IU because his dad loved watching IU games and went to a fair share of them, but I ended up cancelling my season tickets that I’ve held since 96 at the start of his junior year because he had no interest in going to the games anymore….and he was a student in Bloomington at the time.

None of his buddies growing up or even in high school watched IU and many of them wound up going there. I strongly feel there’s a massive decline in IU fandom from our youth. I watched/listened to every IU game growing up starting around the age of 8 or 9. Mike Woodson believe it or not was the first IU player that I have any recollection of 

My son and daughter are becoming Purdue fans. Their mother and grandparents are Purdue fans, so they’re exposed to them quite a bit.  I’m not going to force them to like any team bc I like them. Most of their friends from school are Purdue fans and they are embarrassed to wear any IU gear I buy them. My son today only had his candy stripes clean out of all his sweatpants he has. I made him wear them and he flat out begged me not to wear them. He used to love wearing them around.

It’s the height of arrogance to suggest that we will always have the fan support we have been accustomed to. Purdue is exactly who we think we are or should be. Frankly, they’re basically IU of old. They possess all of the traits that IU teams did in the past. It’s only a matter of time before Painter breaks through in the tournament. He's too good and he always has them knocking at the door. Like it or not, Purdue is the new flagship program in the state of Indiana. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

My son and daughter are becoming Purdue fans. Their mother and grandparents are Purdue fans, so they’re exposed to them quite a bit.  I’m not going to force them to like any team bc I like them. Most of their friends from school are Purdue fans and they are embarrassed to wear any IU gear I buy them. My son today only had his candy stripes clean out of all his sweatpants he has. I made him wear them and he flat out begged me not to wear them. He used to love wearing them around.

It’s the height of arrogance to suggest that we will always have the fan support we have been accustomed to. Purdue is exactly who we think we are or should be. Frankly, they’re basically IU of old. They possess all of the traits that IU teams did in the past. It’s only a matter of time before Painter breaks through in the tournament. He's too good and he always has them knocking at the door. Like it or not, Purdue is the new flagship program in the state of Indiana. 

I wouldn’t go that far just yet, but yes the number of Indiana residents with no allegiance to either university who root for IU is dwindling. And it has everything to do with lack of success. If you were born in the year 2000, you’ve seen IU miss the tournament almost as many times as they’ve made it. Just unfathomable to comprehend for some of us.

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

Hmm. Sure would be nice if we had someone like this. 

IMG_5269.png

Sure, now he breaks out.  

But seriously, how long do you stick with a guy?  Do we stick with Gunn because he might breakout as a junior?

48 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

The fact that this staff was not on the road recruiting tonight tells me either they are morons and suck at their jobs, or they know they suck at their jobs and aren’t going to be around next year. Pathetic effort all around from these guys.

Really they weren’t ?   You would think this would be a big week to get out there with no games to get in the way.  

2 hours ago, jonz44 said:

To me unwilling shows a certain arrogance. It's what comes when people believe they are always the smartest person in the room. Those type of people refuse to adjust.

Sent from my SM-S901U using BtownBanners mobile app

Yep huge egos.  That comes with coaching.  The key is to find the guy who hates to lose more than stroking his ego.  

Yep huge egos.  That comes with coaching.  The key is to find the guy who hates to lose more than stroking his ego.  
If you want to build a program you need a guy who watches film til 4am and busts his @$$ 24/7. It I amazing to me Woodson played for knight. I think he thought the iu job sounded cool but he is not willing to bust his @$$ imo.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

IU hasn't been serious about basketball since the 90s.  It's not worth the emotional, monetary, and time investments.  I can honestly say I haven't watched a full game this year after being a diehard fan for most of the last 2 decades.  Sad really, but I've found other ways to spend those hours that don't end in disappointment.  

11 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Our sons are about the same age. He grew up watching IU because his dad loved watching IU games and went to a fair share of them, but I ended up cancelling my season tickets that I’ve held since 96 at the start of his junior year because he had no interest in going to the games anymore….and he was a student in Bloomington at the time.

None of his buddies growing up or even in high school watched IU and many of them wound up going there. I strongly feel there’s a massive decline in IU fandom from our youth. I watched/listened to every IU game growing up starting around the age of 8 or 9. Mike Woodson believe it or not was the first IU player that I have any recollection of 

My kids range in age from 8 to 15.  They will come in and check with me on the score when I am watching the games and it is quite often your hear, "So we suck again...." from them.

I think the idea that Indiana is always going to have strong fan support is a fantasy.  People get hooked when they are young.  What hooks them in is the idea that this is fun to watch.  Winning is fun.  Losing sucks.  We have people who have seen the great who are struggling to stay engaged.  I imagine that is so much harder when your high point is Cody Zeller and Victor Oladipo and that happened a decade ago.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think the point is that Bates is now in a system that supports guards and wings breaking out. 

About to say this. It’s why I said yesterday that we can grab all the talented guards, shooters in the portal but if Woodson refuses to change his schematics, it’s really a moot point. I can’t believe I’m saying this in 2024 but we practically play in a system where the 3 point line doesn’t exist. Do you know we’re one of the few P5 programs that have a negative point differential for the year? We are getting obliterated on the 3 point line. As Hummel said in the broadcast on Friday, “you can’t play like this in today’s game…the 3 point line is everything and it puts IU at such a huge disadvantage the way they play.”
Many IU folks know basketball, it’s what differentiates us from other fanbases and it’s why Woodson is getting deserved heat. They see a product on the floor that is lousy and yet in many ways is fixable but we have a Staff that continues to defy the odds by continuing to play this same boring system despite hard evidence and facts that prove otherwise. It doesn’t work and yet Woodson won’t change.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

About to say this. It’s why I said yesterday that we can grab all the talented guards, shooters in the portal but if Woodson refuses to change his schematics, it’s really a moot point. I can’t believe I’m saying this in 2024 but we practically play in a system where the 3 point line doesn’t exist. Do you know we’re one of the few P5 programs that have a negative point differential for the year? We are getting obliterated on the 3 point line. As Hummel said in the broadcast on Friday, “you can’t play like this in today’s game…the 3 point line is everything and it puts IU at such a huge disadvantage the way they play.”
Many IU folks know basketball, it’s what differentiates us from other fanbases and it’s why Woodson is getting deserved heat. They see a product on the floor that is lousy and yet in many ways is fixable but we have a Staff that continues to defy the odds by continuing to play this same boring system despite hard evidence and facts that prove otherwise. It doesn’t work and yet Woodson won’t change.

Woodson has talked about playing inside out — Passing from the post to get the open three point shot.  The problem is we have a bunch a brick layers out there.  He’s failed to get players that can shoot.  He is a lot of talk and very little action.