Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - PG Boogie Fland to Kentucky

24 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

There are a few respects sources on BTB that are still optimistic. RoadToZion said, "Smoke screen. Gonna be a wild few hours." DC2345 said, "I just want to watch and see what plays out." We will see.....

Okay.  Because we are still in "who knows?" mode. For real.

Some incontrovertible takeaways IMO:

1. Love the strategy of the staff - shoot for the best of the best early, and backfill with de-commits and the portal when necessary.
  2. Related to point 1; it's not who you miss on, it's who you eventually get.
  3. A one 5* star week would be an incredible week for recruiting, even if there was potential for a two 5* week.
  4. "Trilly Donovan" has a great track record, but unless Trilly is Fland's papa (he's not) he could also be misled. So Trilly Donovan's track record is simply another piece of evidence.
  5. Nothing should ever be considered 'conclusive' beyond the official announcement. 
  6. Listening to the new Rolling Stones album ... it's (surprisingly) pretty damn good, though Mick is starting to sound a little too much like PIL era Johnny Rotten.

46 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

They still went to Kentucky and that's what the kids see.

Agreed. But sadly I feel sorry for them in some way. Players like Wall could have been something better. I think boogie will be a 6-7 yr player in the NBA but with the proper development, I think he could have been special. 

9 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Someone saw that Boogie has recently followed Clif Marshall on social media and couldn’t recall noticing him being on there before, so hopefully that could be something. Just adding that tidbit 

Boogie doesn’t follow Clif actually, Clif follows him though.

9 hours ago, Aaron said:

Something changed Monday and IU guys weren't clued in. It was obvious from UK side they knew wind was blowing in their direction then which Kent Sterling and Andy Sweeney got a hold of on Kentucky end.

It appears IU guys were left in dark until tonight and somehow Trilly was not clued in until now either. 

Sterling is always Mr. Positive for IU despite his quirkiness and overbearing love for Dakich. When he said UK I had a feeling it would go their way despite others telling me the opposite. 

This program wasn't living or dying with this recruitment. I have a feeling Woodson will kill it in spring with late recruitments and portal players as he always does and this time he gets to do it with an elite recruit in hand with McNeely. When he nabbed Ware and Mgbako last spring he had no great recruits already and in spring 2024 he will already have one in fold.  

I think you are correct and part of that is IU guys only get info from IU people and they usually make it out to be positive. 

5 minutes ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

Boogie doesn’t follow Clif actually, Clif follows him though.

I understand there could be a difference there, but at the same time, wouldn’t Clif follow because he knows Boogie will be someone he’ll be working with? 

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Our staff was fully confident. They got the rug pulled out from underneath them on this one. They didn’t see it coming. AHoward was confident until this evening.

How do we actually know any of that? It appears All anyone has done is to speculate based on reading tea leaves from another person who is also just speculating.

That can be fun and entertaining, but that is about all.

4 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

It was said before but it bears repeating. Don't be surprised when Cal {Mike White gets fired/Filipowski stays} after this season and Boogie Malik Reneau/Mack Mgbako ends up being a Hoosier.

2 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

Don’t mean to sound like sour grapes but no thanks.

Yes, thanks! That would be some entertaining stuff.

I can't stand Cal as much as the next guy, but Wall was a muti-time All-Star before suffering a slew of injuries. 
SGA was 1st All-NBA last year. Jamal Murray was the 2nd best player on the team that won the title last year. DeAaron Fox is the best player on the Sacramento Kings and got them to the playoffs (an amazing feat in of itself). 
Regardless of how ready all of these guys were coming out of high school, Cal's UK players have made over $1B in the NBA. Players don't look at it like, "well those guys were already good, who has he develop?"
Yeah that argument is weak and biased. If IU had put all of those guys into those positions the narrative here would not be "they were already good".

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

So you wouldn't take a five star recruit because he got duped by a slimy two-bit used car salesman? Slimy two-bit used car salesmen are the reason we have lemon laws in this country.

Decisions have consequences.  Just my opinion.