Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - PG Boogie Fland to Kentucky

I think Eric from the Hyserics podcast has said that rarely a recruitment changes at the last minute because of NIL. Boogie is comfortable with both UK's and IU's NIL package to be his final two. I am pretty sure he has his mind made up. We just have to wait another day. Obviously, we know the impact this commitment would have on this program. If he goes to UK, it'll sting. The staff put all their eggs in his basket. It would make Derik Queen a must get IMO. Would have to work hard in April to land a transfer PG. I do trust this staff though. 

My take: Nobody really knows. I think both sides feel good and they should. I think IU would be a great fit and personally that would be my prediction. But UK wouldn't surprise me. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think Eric from the Hyserics podcast has said that rarely a recruitment changes at the last minute because of NIL. Boogie is comfortable with both UK's and IU's NIL package to be his final two. I am pretty sure he has his mind made up. We just have to wait another day. Obviously, we know the impact this commitment would have on this program. If he goes to UK, it'll sting. The staff put all their eggs in his basket. It would make Derik Queen a must get IMO. Would have to work hard in April to land a transfer PG. I do trust this staff though. 

why?

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

why?

Because you can't spend all this time on 3 recruits and only get one. They chose not to prioritize Mustaf, Betsey, Swartz, and others because they narrowed it down to these 3.

Also...I don't want this to be negative at all! I applaud what they are doing. But I think in this approach you need to get at least 2. We have one so far.  

24 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I will say this

i really don’t believe this is some back and forth thing this week like being portrayed. I have found logic almost always wins in these recruitments and people get too tied up in emotions. Logic says this was decided when he set the date, stopped coaches from visiting, recorded announcement stuff, connected when Cuban for NIL, etc. could he have recorded 2 versions, sure.
I have just been involved with athletes making these decisions and it is usually a done deal when announcement date is set. Winning party is informed few days prior and losers in subsequent days. Nothing points to this being some heavy weight fight back and forth when coaches can’t even visit again. 

With that being my belief, there has for sure been a concerted effort by someone to make it seems as much. Could be family, could be Cal, media etc. Things like Kentucky gaining ground. Like it is some percentage game. Even Chris Beasmore is now changing his tune and saying it is pointing more to Kentucky. Somebody is driving that narrative. Some way it was happening with MM

I guess my point is, if it is Kentucky then it has been and that I find hard to believe. 

p.s. - the Trilly thing was about Ian Jackson. He liked a quote tweet where a Kentucky fan said sometimes the best wins are what you avoid. They were said to be his leader until last minute. 

It is possible that some kids set a date to help spur them to make a decision between two choices when neither choice has gained any separation. Possible but not likely in most cases. In this case that would be totally out of character from what we've seen from this recruitment so far. Boogie has consistently sought out whatever information he needed to make a decision even up to creating an event where the 3 main coaches come and speak at an event, in addition to standard recruiting visits, to finalize or confirm his decision. A kid that does that level of due diligence is unlikely to set an announcement date before knowing what he is going to announce. 

Of course a kid can always change his mind and there's plenty of cases where that has happened. That again, would seem to be out of character for this recruitment. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Because you can't spend all this time on 3 recruits and only get one. They chose not to prioritize Mustaf, Betsey, Swartz, and others because they narrowed it down to these 3.

Also...I don't want this to be negative at all! I applaud what they are doing. But I think in this approach you need to get at least 2. We have one so far.  

In the past, sure. With the transfer portal it makes more sense to take chances like this. Combine that with the likelihood of highly ranked recruits becoming available again in the spring and Woodson's ability to land them, I don't really see too much reason to worry if IU misses on both Boogie and Queen. I'd rather have one or both, sure, but team building isn't the same as it was just a few years ago.

15 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Meh. They seem like completely different entities to me, and I'm not enticed with Queen. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Sure you can. In fact if you primarily go after the highest rated recruits long enough, it is bound to happen sooner or later. In the era of transfer-palooza, it can even be done with relatively little real risk. 

However, I think you're making a faulty assumption. I don't think IU just randomly decided to narrow the focus down to these 3. I think they did so with a high level of confidence, confidence that they would likely land most of their primary targets and that they could rectify any misses with transfers and de-commits. 

25 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'm not sure I agree with that with Renau & Sparks coming back Queen would be a must-get. I think he would be great to have but I think we would still be OK. 

Given this was supposed to a monster class I tend to agree only getting one recruit ths fall would be a buzzkill. Sure have the portal but with likely four spots to fill you need to cast a wider net.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Given this was supposed to a monster class I tend to agree only getting one recruit ths fall would be a buzzkill. Sure have the portal but with likely four spots to fill you need to cast a wider net.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Or we still one in the spring when Cal or another coach is fired