Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

From Dennis' point of view or IU's?

I can see a scenario where Dennis chooses A&M over IU regardless of TJD's decision.

What I can't see is a scenario where IU takes Dennis if TJD comes back.  

The scholarship is just not available in that case.  And, I don't think IU forcibly opens a scholarship from the remaining roster.

IU wanted both regardless of scholly numbers according to multiple people that have more access to the staff then most. Upgrade the talent and worry about the number later.  They wanted a wing that could defend at a high level.  That would of been Dennis 

33 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

IU wanted both regardless of scholly numbers according to multiple people that have more access to the staff then most. Upgrade the talent and worry about the number later.  They wanted a wing that could defend at a high level.  That would of been Dennis 

I know he won DPOY in the AAC, but the numbers say his defensive prowess is a little overrated.

Defensive numbers from last season:

• Defensive Rating - 99.6 (100 is average, lower is better)
  • Defensive Win Shares - 1.3
  • Defensive Box Plus/Minus - 2.1
  • Steal % - 1.7
  • Block Percentage - 3.2

Here is an IU Comp.  Galloway used for everything except Defensive Win Shares because that is a cumulative total and his missed time because of injuries kept that number down.

• Defensive Rating - 99.9
  • Defensive Win Shares - Kopp with 1.1
  • Defensive Box Plus/Minus - 3.7
  • Steal % - 2.6
  • Block Percentage - 1.4

The numbers tell me, other than Block %, we already have a perimeter defender as equal to or better than Dennis.  And, the Big Ten is a different animal than the AAC.   

Would not have been worth 'making room' in my opinion.

I think they did at first too. I think the info got soft peddled to the fanbase via “Their sources” and the fanbase didn’t want to kick a player like Leal to the curb. I think the staff re-evaluated the net risk-benefit which was then to ask Dennis to see if he’d wait on a TJD decision. That lead to all the weirdness with top 5, not top 5 stuff. I think either TJD is coming back (likely) or Dennis found another option for himself and didn’t want to wait any longer.

Sounds crazy but fits the timeline, oddness, the actions of the sources to me.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think they did at first too. I think the info got soft peddled to the fanbase via “Their sources” and the fanbase didn’t want to kick a player like Leal to the curb. I think the staff re-evaluated the net risk-benefit which was then to ask Dennis to see if he’d wait on a TJD decision. That lead to all the weirdness with top 5, not top 5 stuff. I think either TJD is coming back (likely) or Dennis found another option for himself and didn’t want to wait any longer.

Sounds crazy but fits the timeline, oddness, the actions of the sources to me.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think the staff was told Dennis was going to commit shortly after his visit and then the Pack deal happened and his recruitment changed course.  The further the recruitment went the less confident the staff was at landing him.  It was hinted  several times that IU would follow the rules placed in NIL.  After those hints was when it was stated that it was unlikely that Dennis would be coming to IU but as OF said it’s a moot point now 

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think the staff re-evaluated the net risk-benefit which was then to ask Dennis to see if he’d wait on a TJD decision. That lead to all the weirdness with top 5, not top 5 stuff. 

As well as the 'announcing soon' tweet followed by Dennis deleting his twitter account.  It's nice and all that people who say they are in the know give their takes, but unless those people are Dexter Dennis or Mike Woodson they aren't giving the whole account.

7 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

I think the staff was told Dennis was going to commit shortly after his visit and then the Pack deal happened and his recruitment changed course.  The further the recruitment went the less confident the staff was at landing him.  It was hinted  several times that IU would follow the rules placed in NIL.  After those hints was when it was stated that it was unlikely that Dennis would be coming to IU but as OF said it’s a moot point now 

I'm not sure why Pack's recruitment would have anything to do with Dennis.  Dennis isn't Pack and Pack's deal doesn't change Dennis' value.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Packs deal changed about everyone’s recruitment.   When the best player on a last place Big 12 team got 400 k a year many kids and their representatives said if he is making this then we should be also.   That recruitment flipped everything on its head 

Agree to disagree.  Nijel Pack was one -- if not the best -- player in the portal.  $400K for an NIL deal wasn't really unexpected for a player of his caliber.  Dennis' value....not so much.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Agree to disagree.  Nijel Pack was one -- if not the best -- player in the portal.  $400K for an NIL deal wasn't really unexpected for a player of his caliber.  Dennis' value....not so much.

I’ll also agree to disagree with you :)

The 400k per year plus a car deal for Pack surprised/shocked a whole, whole lot of people. That doesn’t mean Dennis thought he would also get 400k but I could see where he would think why should I accept 50-100k, as an example, when 200-250+k might be out there. The Pack deal was a seismic shift.

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

I’ll also agree to disagree with you :)

The 400k per year plus a car deal for Pack surprised/shocked a whole, whole lot of people. That doesn’t mean Dennis thought he would also get 400k but I could see where he would think why should I accept 50-100k, as an example, when 200-250+k might be out there. The Pack deal was a seismic shift.

You do realize that there are athletics making millions in NIL, don’t you?

We also haven’t heard anything about what Dennis receiving in NIL.  I do know that since he’s signed there, the most popular Texas A&am sports message board has a thread with seven whole posts about him signing.  I’m going to out on a limb and say that Dennis isn’t getting 200K at A and M.

10 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

You do realize that there are athletics making millions in NIL, don’t you?

We also haven’t heard anything about what Dennis receiving in NIL.  I do know that since he’s signed there, the most popular Texas A&am sports message board has a thread with seven whole posts about him signing.  I’m going to out on a limb and say that Dennis isn’t getting 200K at A and M.

I do realize that some athletes are making millions but I doubt that Pack or Dennis included themselves in the category of the UK guy that got 2mm. 

Pack’s 400k per year (more than TJD last year), however, did indeed surprise people. I didn’t say Dennis was getting 200k. I said that the Pack signing might have made him wonder what was out there for him (ie it impacted his recruiting) but I have no idea what he ultimately ended up with. 

Also not too surprised that there are only 7 posts about his signing as basketball transfer news at A&M falls behind football, spring football, football recruiting, football coaches and football schedule.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:06 AM, 5fouls said:

I know he won DPOY in the AAC, but the numbers say his defensive prowess is a little overrated.

Defensive numbers from last season:

• Defensive Rating - 99.6 (100 is average, lower is better)
  • Defensive Win Shares - 1.3
  • Defensive Box Plus/Minus - 2.1
  • Steal % - 1.7
  • Block Percentage - 3.2

Here is an IU Comp.  Galloway used for everything except Defensive Win Shares because that is a cumulative total and his missed time because of injuries kept that number down.

• Defensive Rating - 99.9
  • Defensive Win Shares - Kopp with 1.1
  • Defensive Box Plus/Minus - 3.7
  • Steal % - 2.6
  • Block Percentage - 1.4

The numbers tell me, other than Block %, we already have a perimeter defender as equal to or better than Dennis.  And, the Big Ten is a different animal than the AAC.   

Would not have been worth 'making room' in my opinion.

As you so ably point out, Dennis was really comparable to Galloway defensively. However, I think it is probably more accurate to say that IU wanted another strong defensive wing. IU's defense suffered noticeably during the games when Galloway was absent. While I wouldn't say that Galloway is injury prone, his aggressive style of play certainly lends itself to the potential for more injuries going forward. Dennis could have been another strong defender and an insurance policy against an injury to Galloway costing the team significantly on the defensive end.

2 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Also not too surprised that there are only 7 posts about his signing as basketball transfer news at A&M falls behind football, spring football, football recruiting, football coaches and football schedule.

My point was that him signing at A&M likely wasn't about him pulling in the most NIL money he could.  A&M is a typical SEC school with boosters putting tons of cash in football and ignoring basketball.  A&M basketball games have pretty barren attendance.  Only sell out last year was when they hosted Kentucky and I believe they only topped 10,000 in home attendance three times all year.

40 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

My point was that him signing at A&M likely wasn't about him pulling in the most NIL money he could.  A&M is a typical SEC school with boosters putting tons of cash in football and ignoring basketball.  A&M basketball games have pretty barren attendance.  Only sell out last year was when they hosted Kentucky and I believe they only topped 10,000 in home attendance three times all year.

Probably 100%  related to NIL why he ended up at A&M.   

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Probably 100%  related to NIL why he ended up at A&M.   

That's conjecture on your part.  NIL isn't the only thing a player has to decide on.  Playing time, fit, and most definitely is always going to be a factor as is offensive focus.

A&M has two recruits coming in....one unranked, one a JUCO player.  They have five transfers coming in.....Dennis is the only one who averaged more than five points per game.  If A&M has a lot of NIL money to give, they're doing it wrong.

35 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

That's conjecture on your part.  NIL isn't the only thing a player has to decide on.  Playing time, fit, and most definitely is always going to be a factor as is offensive focus.

A&M has two recruits coming in....one unranked, one a JUCO player.  They have five transfers coming in.....Dennis is the only one who averaged more than five points per game.  If A&M has a lot of NIL money to give, they're doing it wrong.

Maybe but i trust the people where the info came from.  Timeline fits that conjecture.  When the guy that basically run IU’s NIL puts it out there that he doesn’t know why he decided what he did but if he expected IU to play the NIL game with him which is against the rules he was wrong.  Basically NIL is for current scholarship players on the team.  You can’t negotiate an NIL deal with a transfer or incoming recruit.  Teams I’m sure are doing it but it sounds like IU isn’t.   Also on that conjecture timeline before the pack deal he told people he was going to IU.  Draw your own conclusions.  I know what I will believe.  Everyone has an opinion.   You saying dennis chose them for playing time and fit is just as much conjecture as mine is that it was NIL driven.   My last  post on an A&M player 

30 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Isn't every post of yours here conjecture?

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Isn't every post of yours here conjecture?

Absolutely.  I was just responding to the 'probably 100% related to NIL'.  Not a big deal, IMO.  I was fine leaving it with the agree to disagree.  It's not like we are actually having an argument about it, just a difference of opinions (over a player who isn't at IU, so IMO it's really not a big deal).