Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

For the people that talk about schools potentially using NIL money to get more players on the roster, there used to be NCAA rules for the type of support scholarship athletes received compared to walk-ons. For example, scholarship athletes receive access to different levels of tutoring, scheduling of classes, access to more gear, housing options, etc. If you take a player off scholarship, but want to keep him on the roster would that player not lose access to all of those perks? If so, a lot of kids won't want to be on the roster without the scholarship, even if NIL money pays for the tuition/room and board. 

The NCAA would provide rules on the maximum support an athlete could receive, not the minimum.  Those perks aren't mandated for anyone to have.  Also don't see how you can deny a walk-on -- or any other student -- the same opportunities.  Different housing options are available to difference students based on all kinds of factors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jbeaman9 said:

Which podcast? I enjoy listening to them and would love to listen to this.

I listen to several but I believe it may have been Podcast On The Brink!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Slow news week so I am daydreaming: about the ranked 2022-2023 Hoosiers putting PU in a shipping container in front of a sleepy Mackey.

About TJD being the best player on the court in Phog Allen Fieldhouse in December. About a 9:15 tip on Thursday night during the ACC/B1G challenge with SSAH so lubricated I can’t hear Dickie V. About Race flushing a putback on Senior Night. About the chemistry JHS and Reneau have. About Jordan Geronimo handcuffing Malik Hall like he did Luka Garza. About Brad Underwood turning red because X makes every PNR read right. About a Trey Galloway pick six slam. About a late-game CMW ATO that puts the game out of reach. About Tamar Bates hitting four 3s on CBS in March. About shutting the door with X/JHS/Trey/Race/TJD preventing an opponent from even getting a shot off for three straight possessions

OH HELL YEAH!!!!!!!  Let's Go Hoosiers!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lillurk said:

Slow news week so I am daydreaming: about the ranked 2022-2023 Hoosiers putting PU in a shipping container in front of a sleepy Mackey.

About TJD being the best player on the court in Phog Allen Fieldhouse in December. About a 9:15 tip on Thursday night during the ACC/B1G challenge with SSAH so lubricated I can’t hear Dickie V. About Race flushing a putback on Senior Night. About the chemistry JHS and Reneau have. About Jordan Geronimo handcuffing Malik Hall like he did Luka Garza. About Brad Underwood turning red because X makes every PNR read right. About a Trey Galloway pick six slam. About a late-game CMW ATO that puts the game out of reach. About Tamar Bates hitting four 3s on CBS in March. About shutting the door with X/JHS/Trey/Race/TJD preventing an opponent from even getting a shot off for three straight possessions

That Kansas game is going to be tough, although they lose a lot, pretty sure Self only has 17 home losses in his KU career

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lillurk said:

Slow news week so I am daydreaming: about the ranked 2022-2023 Hoosiers putting PU in a shipping container in front of a sleepy Mackey.

About TJD being the best player on the court in Phog Allen Fieldhouse in December. About a 9:15 tip on Thursday night during the ACC/B1G challenge with SSAH so lubricated I can’t hear Dickie V. About Race flushing a putback on Senior Night. About the chemistry JHS and Reneau have. About Jordan Geronimo handcuffing Malik Hall like he did Luka Garza. About Brad Underwood turning red because X makes every PNR read right. About a Trey Galloway pick six slam. About a late-game CMW ATO that puts the game out of reach. About Tamar Bates hitting four 3s on CBS in March. About shutting the door with X/JHS/Trey/Race/TJD preventing an opponent from even getting a shot off for three straight possessions

Needs an edit to add December 10 Vegas game reference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

Slow news week so I am daydreaming: about the ranked 2022-2023 Hoosiers putting PU in a shipping container in front of a sleepy Mackey.

About TJD being the best player on the court in Phog Allen Fieldhouse in December. About a 9:15 tip on Thursday night during the ACC/B1G challenge with SSAH so lubricated I can’t hear Dickie V. About Race flushing a putback on Senior Night. About the chemistry JHS and Reneau have. About Jordan Geronimo handcuffing Malik Hall like he did Luka Garza. About Brad Underwood turning red because X makes every PNR read right. About a Trey Galloway pick six slam. About a late-game CMW ATO that puts the game out of reach. About Tamar Bates hitting four 3s on CBS in March. About shutting the door with X/JHS/Trey/Race/TJD preventing an opponent from even getting a shot off for three straight possessions

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, btownqb said:

This makes me not respect the B12 

I remember watching one of our old games from like 83 and at that time we were like 102-9 at home.  Also in the 90's we won like 53 straight games at home and that was against a tough big ten conference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If TJD returns, we are preseason 10-18.  If TJD doesn’t return are we top 25?  I’d definitely vote no, but is Dennis for TJD enough to put us 20-25?

 

FWIW I think TJD returns and we end up #12.  

I think we are borderline but not quite top 25 if we get Dennis but TJD departs. Guards would be strong presuming improvement in young guys like Bates and Galloway, but we would have to play small ball with Race at 5 and Geronimo at 4. That would work well against some teams but I think we would fall in the "others receiving votes" category. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2022 at 9:22 AM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If TJD returns, we are preseason 10-18.  If TJD doesn’t return are we top 25?  I’d definitely vote no, but is Dennis for TJD enough to put us 20-25?

 

FWIW I think TJD returns and we end up #12.  

If TJD returns, we're top 20 100%. Us fans at that point will probably demand a top 3 finish in the conference. 

My biggest concern is shooting still.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2022 at 8:22 AM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If TJD returns, we are preseason 10-18.  If TJD doesn’t return are we top 25?  I’d definitely vote no, but is Dennis for TJD enough to put us 20-25?

 

FWIW I think TJD returns and we end up #12.  

Not sure about ranking, but W/O TJD I don't think IU is anywhere close to a top 25 team. They have some nice pieces, but I would expect it to look a lot like some recent vintage teams that didn't have many weapons. XJ, Kopp, Race and Jordan are all known quantities, and none are really "carry the team" type guys, IMO. We can certainly hope for a leap from Bates and whoever else, but how often does that actually happen? I'm not counting on a freshman, ANY freshman to come in a be a major, consistent contributor. So not buying hype on Hood &/or Reneau until I'm proven wrong. Race isn't a starting Center but even if he pulls it off, who backs him up? An undersized freshman? An inexperienced Sophomore? Who scores? The poor shooters we already have? Without TJD I see IU as very easy to guard, much easier to score against INSIDE and not really having an identity.....certainly on offense.  I understand other teams have pulled it off with similar type of (under-sized) rosters, BUT that is with some knock-down shooters I don't see here. With TJD IU is still flawed, but has a lot of potential if one or two things go right. Without him, they are very flawed and virtually everything has to go right. Consider me skeptical that happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Not sure about ranking, but W/O TJD I don't think IU is anywhere close to a top 25 team. They have some nice pieces, but I would expect it to look a lot like some recent vintage teams that didn't have many weapons. XJ, Kopp, Race and Jordan are all known quantities, and none are really "carry the team" type guys, IMO. We can certainly hope for a leap from Bates and whoever else, but how often does that actually happen? I'm not counting on a freshman, ANY freshman to come in a be a major, consistent contributor. So not buying hype on Hood &/or Reneau until I'm proven wrong. Race isn't a starting Center but even if he pulls it off, who backs him up? An undersized freshman? An inexperienced Sophomore? Who scores? The poor shooters we already have? Without TJD I see IU as very easy to guard, much easier to score against INSIDE and not really having an identity.....certainly on offense.  I understand other teams have pulled it off with similar type of (under-sized) rosters, BUT that is with some knock-down shooters I don't see here. With TJD IU is still flawed, but has a lot of potential if one or two things go right. Without him, they are very flawed and virtually everything has to go right. Consider me skeptical that happens. 

This is a really good perspective I think. I tend to be in this camp as well. Off-season expectations always seem to be rosy because we want to believe and be excited about a new beginning next Fall. But I’ve heard folks say with TJD back we’re a potential top 10, even top 5, team next year. I don’t see it. Last year’s team was a middle of the pack B1G team and outside of a good (losing) effort at PU and couple wins in the B1G tourney with their backs against the wall, played inconsistent and average ball for three months. Even with Trayce back, we’re mostly the same team. TJD is talented, and we all love him, but he’s a back to the basket big who doesn’t create his own shot and needs good ball entry and lots of space to work. As unpopular as it may be, he plays a brand of basketball that the NCAA and Woody are trying to move away from in favor of the NBA style with bigs that can play away from the basket and in the midrange. The JHS and Reneau additions are exciting for good reason, but should probably be exciting because of what it does for the program for recruiting additional high-level talent and attracting “missing piece” top-end portal transfers to put together a top-10 team in ‘23-‘26. Next year I think their impact will be mostly exciting to see their potential in flashes, but still splitting time in the rotation with XJ and Race. Overall I guess I’m more on the side that expects this team to have a season more similar to last season with the same core and think it’s less likely that core and our additions make a sizeable leap to a top-10 team. For what it’s worth, I still believe TJD will be back. The team will be competitive, and the excitement for the future of the program will be strong. But we’re 1-2 years away from being “in the conversation” like we want to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

This is a really good perspective I think. I tend to be in this camp as well. Off-season expectations always seem to be rosy because we want to believe and be excited about a new beginning next Fall. But I’ve heard folks say with TJD back we’re a potential top 10, even top 5, team next year. I don’t see it. Last year’s team was a middle of the pack B1G team and outside of a good (losing) effort at PU and couple wins in the B1G tourney with their backs against the wall, played inconsistent and average ball for three months. Even with Trayce back, we’re mostly the same team. TJD is talented, and we all love him, but he’s a back to the basket big who doesn’t create his own shot and needs good ball entry and lots of space to work. As unpopular as it may be, he plays a brand of basketball that the NCAA and Woody are trying to move away from in favor of the NBA style with bigs that can play away from the basket and in the midrange. The JHS and Reneau additions are exciting for good reason, but should probably be exciting because of what it does for the program for recruiting additional high-level talent and attracting “missing piece” top-end portal transfers to put together a top-10 team in ‘23-‘26. Next year I think their impact will be mostly exciting to see their potential in flashes, but still splitting time in the rotation with XJ and Race. Overall I guess I’m more on the side that expects this team to have a season more similar to last season with the same core and think it’s less likely that core and our additions make a sizeable leap to a top-10 team. For what it’s worth, I still believe TJD will be back. The team will be competitive, and the excitement for the future of the program will be strong. But we’re 1-2 years away from being “in the conversation” like we want to be. 

 

I think that, understandably, there is a lot of PTSD in the fanbase. But Woody doesn't care about previous IU teams and coaching staffs that underachieved. He's not them.

We are adding two five stars. They will not revolutionize the team, but that is a very big deal.

Race and X coming back is a very big deal. A quality big and a quality high talent point guard, and almost guaranteed excellent team defense.

With or without Trayce we will be very good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×