Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

7 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Tamar Bates made the list in this story. 

Considering his role last season, I never thought of him doing anything other than returning to school. Perhaps transferring, but certainly not declaring for the NBA. 

Be that as it may, he's included ... 

There were IU fans convinced he could be a one and done after the Bahamas trip last summer. Maybe that's where the talk started. 

9 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Tamar Bates made the list in this story. 

Considering his role last season, I never thought of him doing anything other than returning to school. Perhaps transferring, but certainly not declaring for the NBA. 

Be that as it may, he's included ... 

“I Cross-Referenced 2021 5-Star Recruits and Those Returning to School in 2022 With Absolutely Zero Background Research Into the Context Behind Those “Decisions”. COLUMN:”

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

There were IU fans convinced he could be a one and done after the Bahamas trip last summer. Maybe that's where the talk started. 

Yeah poorly researched story ... but I still see the potential in Bates for the next level. Hoping to see a big frosh to soph jump in him, and will be surprised if we don't. Love tough 2-way players who can score at multiple levels, Bates has that.

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

So we swapped out:

• Lander, Durr, Stewart, and Phinisee for
  • Reneau, Hood-Schifino, Banks, and Gunn

That is a massive talent upgrade.

Yes. Phinisee, in particular, had a bunch of special moments as a Hoosier, and as far as we know was a tremendous program ambassador. At full health he is a truly elite defender against guards 6’3” and under

…and yet I think it will be a surprise if JHS doesn’t have a significantly bigger overall impact next year. And that’s probably the closest comparison.

Tarvik updated projections had added Xavier to IU's roster and has TJD returning.....with that assumption, they have moved IU to #11.

Projected stats (I disagree on Kopp and JG's minutes...also expect more minutes from Bates and less from Galloway):

TJD:  32.4 mpg, 18.2 ppg, 8 rpg, 2.0 apg

X:  30.4 mpg, 13.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 5.1 apg

Race:  27.6 mpg, 10.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.5 apg

Kopp:  26.4 mpg, 8.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.3 apg

Galloway:  25.2 mpg, 6.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2.1 apg

JHS:  21.2 mpg, 6.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.6 apg

Reneau:  14.8 mpg, 4.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.8 apg

Bates:  12 mpg, 4.1 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 0.8 apg

Geronimo:  6.8 mpg, 3.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.1 apg

Duncomb:  3.6 mpg, 1.6 ppg, 0.6 rpg, 0.0 apg

Tarvik updated projections had added Xavier to IU's roster and has TJD returning.....with that assumption, they have moved IU to #11.

Projected stats (I disagree on Kopp and JG's minutes...also expect more minutes from Bates and less from Galloway):

Need more minutes from Bates and Geronimo, less from Kopp. And where are Keion Brooks minutes? LOL.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

49 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I know it’s a combo of justforfun and data analytics, but any model for next year that has Geronimo’s minutes per game as being cut in half from last year while Kopp’s minutes go up is nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I know it’s a combo of justforfun and data analytics, but any model for next year that has Geronimo’s minutes per game as being cut in half from last year while Kopp’s minutes go up is nonsense.

Not unless Kopp starts hitting like 45% of his 3s or something 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

True — Tarvik is more lining up players at positions and slotting minutes.  JG was a 4 last year.

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

These projections are off after the top three.  Kopp's playing time is way over-projected.  Either Bates or Geronimo could be starting at the 3 meaning Kopp's playing time drops considerably. Galloway will play less than last season unless he develops a reliable shot over the summer.  JHS and Renee could be like Bates this past season--flashes of talent but mostly inconsistent play. Too early to tell beyond TJD, Race, and Xavier. 

12 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

These projections are off after the top three.  Kopp's playing time is way over-projected.  Either Bates or Geronimo could be starting at the 3 meaning Kopp's playing time drops considerably. Galloway will play less than last season unless he develops a reliable shot over the summer.  JHS and Renee could be like Bates this past season--flashes of talent but mostly inconsistent play. Too early to tell beyond TJD, Race, and Xavier. 

JHS will start. He should make a much bigger impact than what Bates did his freshman year.  With that said…I’m optimistic Bates will have a big season his sophomore year.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

JHS will start.

That's what many said about Bates going into this past season. Nobody really knows how ready he might be. Woodson may decide to begin the season bringing him in off the bench. There are too many variables to say anything with certainty beyond those three (TJD, Race, and Xavier) who are proven.

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Need more minutes from Bates and Geronimo, less from Kopp. And where are Keion Brooks minutes? LOL.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Could it be possible that Brooks could land at IU?  I know we don’t have room for him, but I would rather have him than Kopp

41 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Could it be possible that Brooks could land at IU?  I know we don’t have room for him, but I would rather have him than Kopp

I’m sure it’s possible, but I’m not sure he’s a great fit with the needs that remain with this roster. We have two years of proof he’s a college 4 and not a great 3 point shooter.

Those things can change. But the frontcourt — and maybe the 4 specifically — are well-stocked with or w/o Tjd.

54 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

That's what many said about Bates going into this past season. Nobody really knows how ready he might be. Woodson may decide to begin the season bringing him in off the bench. There are too many variables to say anything with certainty beyond those three (TJD, Race, and Xavier) who are proven.

IU's recent 5* recruits have been pretty hit or miss.

Romeo was good. TJD (I think he was actually a high 4* I'll include him here) is good and started his Freshman year.

Lander was a major miss and didn't really contribute in 2 years. Bates wasn't terrible but also wasn't great. Certainly not close to the immediate starter many thoughts he'd be. Keion Brooks (Miller missed but he tried very hard to land him) has been mediocre at UK and not the one and done many though he'd be. Kaufman was another high 4* that was recruited hard but missed on who didn't have the immediate impact that was expected.

So it remains to be seen about JHS and Reneau. There are reasons to have high expectations for them, though. They're both strong and have college ready bodies. They played against great competition in HS and performed well. They're winners and seen to have great mindsets about working hard and earning their playing time.

53 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Bring him in as a preferred walk-on. It won't happen but that's the only way of want him on the team.

There had been some mentions by some online that there were some nervous hours for the IU basketball staff as the transfer deadline approached. According to Rabby, if I am reading the cryptic post accurately, there were no last minute additions to the portal from IU. Sounds like last remaining business is TJD/Dexter Dennis decisions.

34 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Sounds like last remaining business is TJD/Dexter Dennis decisions.

Dexter Dennis may not want to wait around for Trayce Jackson Davis to make his decision whether to go pro or return to IU. TJD has until June 1 and many believe he will be back. According to reports, Dennis heard from at least 18 schools, including LSU and Virginia. It seems unlikely he would be available a month from now should TJD decide to keep his name in the NBA draft.