Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Northern Illinois - 11/12/21 @ 7:00 on BTN+

25 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Not sure what you aren't seeing, the guy, for no reason, shoves TJD in the back with his left arm causing him to fall forward.

I cannot see the shove.  I cannot see Zoot's hand or his arm until TJD's reaction.  

One can speculate that there was no reason for Zoot to shove or hit TJD. That is probably what happened.  

But, TJD may have tripped and Zoot may have tried to grab him to help.  We cannot see enough to tell.  Likely didn't happen.

My original post was about not seeing the whole episode.   I think that a Flagrant 2 was the right call.  I just would have liked to see a clearer video from a better angle of the whole thing.  

As an aside, there was some shoving and discussion underneath the basket before this happened.  TJD had gone eyeball to eyeball with this player, if I remember correctly.  Doesn't excuse the Flagrant 2 foul though.

Some more thoughts on the contributions and minutes of Race, Geronimo, Galloway, Stewart, Kopp and Bates.  How their minutes get sorted out over the next 3-4 games is going to be interesting.

Race's double-double last night came on 3-5 FG's, 1-2 from the arc, 5-6 FT's, 10 boards, 1 block, but he also had 3 TO's - 0 assists, 1 foul --  played the fewest min of the starters, 16 min.

I couldn't tell if that limited his min or if it was how well Geronimo came in and played -- Geronimo, in 18 min, finished with 6 pts on 2-3 FG's, 1-2 from the arc (I would like to see him shoot more, his shot is good), 1-2 FTs, 2 assists to 1 TO, 2 boards, and his usual strong D.

Meanwhile, Stewart's 0-5 for 0 points covered 17 min (0-4 from arc), came with 2 boards, 1 steal, 1 block, 0 TO's.

Galloway came in and showed a really solid game, in 23 min, finishing 7 pts on 3-7, 1-3 from arc, 3 assists to 1 TO, 2 boards, 1 foul.

Kopp's shot will start dropping imo, his outside game is strong, and he plays like a vet doesn't make many mistakes, but isn't scoring well so far. Last night's line: 19 min, 4 points on 1-4 (0-1 from arc), 2 boards, 2-2 from stripe, 1 assist to 0 TO's, 2 fouls. Pretty active hands in the lane.

Bates stepped in with 19 min, 3 pts on 1-3 (1-1 arc), 3 boards, 1 assist to 1 TO, 2 fouls. Can tell he's a frosh, but man his game is clearly showing what a dominant player he can be. Has all the tools to go with rock solid confidence and poise already, on both ends.His 2-way play is going to be key over the season, imo, to how well we finish.

We brought in shooting, the outside shot is an emphasis (and should be), and focusing on early poor shooting of a couple of guys really doesn't have that much utility at least at this point imo, as this offense (100 x better than under CAM already) is set up to spread the floor, as 1 in 4 out or just running inside-out, and we're seeing Stewart and Kopp out there because they bring outside shooting to go with veteran play. Still, while it's early, I can see Galloway or Geronimo starting (though starting isn't as important to me as who finishes, and who plays how long and with whom). Both are great options with upside. If Galloway can get the outside shot to drop consistently, he could turn into a serious impact player imo. He plays kind of like a point forward. Geronimo already has the shot, need to see it more, and I do think the more we see of him the better we're going to be over the season.

15 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

So I was at the game and wanted to join the fun after such a great game with just a few observations I had.

We looked really good overall.  I was anxious to see how we responded after the 2nd half of the previous game but it seemed obvious they got the message from the coaching staff.  A great win against a team that should not be awful.

I really like our starting 5.  I have seen some chatter on here about Parker and Miller but their shots are pure and water will find it’s level with those two.  I have zero concerns about either of them.  They both offer a lot in a lot of different areas and I think this is our starting unit the entire season barring injury.

As far as the rest of the rotation goes I know have been a large Trey supporter on here and I don’t really think their are any questions after this game.  This kid gets it.  His shot has improved greatly (it’s obvious he has put in the time working on it) and besides what else he brings he really understands spacing and the ball just seems to move better with him on the floor.  We just look a lot more sharper as a team with more energy when he is in the game and it’s really noticeable live.  He should be getting major minutes and first off the bench along with Rob P.  Bates is going to be phenomenal sooner rather than later so not really much else to say about this kid lol.  It was so good to see Durr play.  He is going to be a big help in the BIG.  He played well considering he has been injured.

That’s already 9 deep and I know Coach has said a couple times he wants a 9 maybe 10 deep rotation so this is a good problem to have.  Jordan G is going to play.  They all obviously offer something different but watching them live for a couple games I’m a lot higher on Trey and Bates than Jordan G.  Their is only so many minutes to go around and to me I want as much Trey and Bates as possible.  It was also really good to see Lander and Leal get some run.  I think Lander is going to play some if X or Rob is in foul trouble or injured or something along those lines.  He does look improved and I hope he can keep his head right because I don’t think he will get much playing time THIS season.  I like Leal and I’m almost a little sad that he is our end of bench guy who will probably not see the court this year except for games like this.  It was good to see him make some shots but he still can’t really defend at this level which is fairly obvious.

How was the crowd last night? Did I even see a few people in the balcony?

59 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

All the lower levels were full pretty much.  The balcony was scattered.  I’m a student and I think we were pretty loud.  

What is the vibe on campus? I’m disappointed that we aren’t packing Assembly Hall. I drove 4 hours for Hoosier Hysteria and was shocked it was so empty

this team should be fun to watch and seem like relatively good kids - no reason not to turn out. Glad to hear students are - curious what else is holding the fans back. Maybe we just need to string together a handful of good performances and enter a big game ranked before we pack the hall again 

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

What is the vibe on campus? I’m disappointed that we aren’t packing Assembly Hall. I drove 4 hours for Hoosier Hysteria and was shocked it was so empty

this team should be fun to watch and seem like relatively good kids - no reason not to turn out. Glad to hear students are - curious what else is holding the fans back. Maybe we just need to string together a handful of good performances and enter a big game ranked before we pack the hall again 

We’re still in a (much better) Covid world, it takes time to get back to normal 

23 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I think their is generally a lot of excitement among the students.  It’s definitely a feel of a new beginning for us and we want to be a part of that.  I think the student section has shown up and been loud the first couple games and that will build as the opponents are tougher and bigger names come to the Hall.

I mean the football season has played some into this.  I don’t know if it would matter where the basketball program is after this football season students just want something different.  I could definitely give you some student insight regarding football lol.

As far as the general public and filling up the Hall (balconies) I think their are still a lot of COVID concerns.  It doesn’t matter what side of it your on their are those uncomfortable being in a packed venue and others having issue with having to wear a mask and just everything that goes along with COVID.  Again though as the opponents become bigger name schools I have little doubt the Hall will once again be full capacity.

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

We’re also dealing with a student body that hasn’t had IUBB full buzz in years. It will build big time as the team succeeds 

Should be a good atmosphere vs. St. John’s Wednesday, and if the team plays hard and well over the next two months you’d think spring term home games will have serious electricity

Improvement, and that's all I care about right now. Nice jump in FT and 3P %s.

• Love TJD, Race, and X. We can win a lot of games with those 3 guys as the backbone. 
  • Need to find the other 2. So far not sold on anyone specific.
  • Kopp hasn't impressed me at all in 2 games. 2 of 9 and 0 for 4 from long. He is at least 3 of 3 on FTs.
  • Stewart took step back. Hoping it was just a down game.
  • Liked Leal in the few minutes he got.
  • Still not sure what to think about Lander and Phin. Thought I'd see at least one take a nice step forward.
  • Geronimo and Galloway looked pretty good.

Can wait to watch the St John's game. Great early test. Top 50 KP, and getting AP votes. 

Wonder if the line up changes a bit, or if minutes shrink for some this game.

Guessing a win would likely be enough to get us into the top 25. 

14 minutes ago, Whoozhers said:

St. John’s is on now if you wanna do some scouting… FS1

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

All Saint’s game…. I guess.

I will say that if the refs are calling fouls, there is no way Joel Soriano will play much if he's guarding TJD.

Since I didn't take the plunge and subscribe to BIG+, this is all I've seen from the game (I watched all of the EMU tilt). 

Are my eyes deceiving me, or does Lander appear as if he's filled out a little? He looked like such a little kid last year (which he essentially was -- should've been a high school senior). Hard to tell from a few seconds on a highlight video, though ... 

14 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

All the lower levels were full pretty much.  The balcony was scattered.  I’m a student and I think we were pretty loud.  

Be louder.  Student section needs to bring it in the Big Ten season, and it's a good time to practice.  Granted, the team needs to help you.  Our offense is still very raw, and it's hard to cheer for defense.....     I was there last night and it was terrific to see the number of students there; but the student section isn't yet "there."   Loud reacting...a little quiet other times.  Never, EVER wear black gloves and a helmet in the seats; and for the love of God don't mention the purdues unless we're playing them....but raise your game a little.  You're needed!  =)