Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Proposed Men's Bball Rule Changes

I like the end of game rule on free throws or taking the ball out of bounds choice. The offensive goal tending might get a bit confusing.

Personal/technical foul count?  That is a bit over the top.  Would need an analyst on the bench to keep track of all that.  Keep it at five, or make it six and the game slows down.

6 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Guess I'm in the minority. I don't care for the free throws or taking the ball out choice. 

Wouldn't you want games to be competitive till the end?

Under that rule, if you're up, or down, by four points with a minute left, the game's over -- provided you don't get tied up or turn the ball over.

If you're down 74-70 with a minute left, the opponent could run the clock down to 30 seconds -- without having to take a shot. If you foul, they can just maintain possession. As long as they get the ball inbounds, there's nothing you can do. And depending on which way the possession arrow is facing, you might have to tie them up  twice. Not very likely. 

So now, you're down 74-70 with 30 seconds left. You come down, make a quick 3 to make it 74-73 with 25 seconds left. If you can't tie the other team up or turn them over, you cannot get the ball back. Game over. 

I've seen teams down by 10 with a minute left come back and win. That would never happen again. 

Yeah I agree. I don't like the free throw proposal at all. It would make games way less entertaining. Making free throws is part of the game. All teams have to do is hit their free throws late in the game and they will likely win. 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If im making rules, it's getting 4 10-minute quarters and keeping the bonus at 7 fouls per quarter. Way less free throws. Way faster game. More flow created. Media timeouts at the under 5 mark, between quarters. 

I'm all in with 10 min. quarters and media timeouts at the under 5 mark and between quarters.  Been used in women's bball for I believe the past 2 seasons and maybe it's an illusion, but the game does seem to move at a faster pace and with better flow.  

I'm also in favor of eliminating the 5 sec. closely guarded call.  Seems pointless when you've already got a shot clock that limits a teams ability to hold the ball.  And for the same reason eliminate the 10 sec. backcourt rule.

And if a team forces a held ball, IMO they should be rewarded with possession.

Really don't expect the fouls proposal to pass as it's written because it's too confusing and in theory, you really don't necessarily have 6 fouls before you're out of the game.  You have 3 in the first half and if you pick up the 4th, you're done for the day.  And you start over in the 2nd half so in total, you can have up to 6 fouls before you're benched for good.  But if you don't pick up any fouls in the 1st half, you're done the minute you pick up your 4th foul in the 2nd half so you only got 4 total for the game.   Similarly, if you only pick up 1 foul in the first half, you're done the minute you pick up your 4th in the 2nd half so you only got 5 for the game.   This proposal was surely developed by an ex-IRS employee.

24 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Really don't expect the fouls proposal to pass as it's written because it's too confusing and in theory, you really don't necessarily have 6 fouls before you're out of the game.  You have 3 in the first half and if you pick up the 4th, you're done for the day.  And you start over in the 2nd half so in total, you can have up to 6 fouls before you're benched for good.  But if you don't pick up any fouls in the 1st half, you're done the minute you pick up your 4th foul in the 2nd half so you only got 4 total for the game.   Similarly, if you only pick up 1 foul in the first half, you're done the minute you pick up your 4th in the 2nd half so you only got 5 for the game.   This proposal was surely developed by an ex-IRS employee.

Yes, it's overly complicated and seemingly for no reason. The players wouldn't get 6 fouls, they'd get anywhere from 4 to 6 fouls. If they want to increase the limit from 5 to 6 then just do it, not this jumbled mess of a rule. It seems like they're trying to have it both ways: increase the limit while also making sure coaches still have to have some concerns about foul trouble.

The resetting of team fouls at the 10 minute mark of each half also seems more complicated than it should be. If they want that, just go to quarters instead of halves.  I can foresee scenarios where there are extended reviews in the middle of a half to see exactly when a foul was called. Does it result in 2 FT or was it a second later and the fouls had reset so no FT? Dumb.

58 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If im making rules, it's getting 4 10-minute quarters and keeping the bonus at 7 fouls per quarter. Way less free throws. Way faster game. More flow created. Media timeouts at the under 5 mark, between quarters. 

Just gives incentive to head hunt on defense.  Rick Pitino used to have his teams foul constantly because there was no way that all of them would get called.  Adding the ability to foul even more without getting penalized incentivises that strategy.