Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierBoiler

Candidate Thread: Mike Lewis

21 hours ago, ap2345 said:

People should listen to the segment of DD’s show this week when Michael Lewis was on. He’s tired of IU being a program that isn’t making the tournament and having success.

Aren’t we all ?

Also....I really like the idea of him as an assistant at IU.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I like him a lot. He played for Knight, coached under Stevens, knows how to rebuild like at Nebraska, now UCLA. Would walk over broken glass to get to Bloomington 

I think both Izzo and Roy Williams did quit well going from an assistant to a HC if a power 5 program

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I like him a lot. He played for Knight, coached under Stevens, knows how to rebuild like at Nebraska, now UCLA. Would walk over broken glass to get to Bloomington 

It's a risky move but that last sentence alone makes me want him here. I'd make sure the HC is right, then line that fn bench with IU guys. Fife, Lewis, Calbert

So do "we" really believe that Archie didn't succeed because he didn't care enough? That IU history wasn't important to him? What about Tom "It's Indiana" Crean? These guys are competitors. Have huge egos. I am all for IU tradition but the issue isn't "caring" enough. We need capable coaches that can bring in good players and get them to execute. Archie couldn't. Crean only could 1/2 the time. Sampson couldn't do it within the rules. 

Michael Lewis hasn't ever been a Head-coach and we're gonna hand him the keys because he was a very good player and still cares? I can't get on board with that. That is ok if you are desperate, low-level program, but not IU. 

Brad Stevens to.......Michael Lewis? SMH. 

Just now, Hardwood83 said:

So do "we" really believe that Archie didn't succeed because he didn't care enough? That IU history wasn't important to him? What about Tom "It's Indiana" Crean? These guys are competitors. Have huge egos. I am all for IU tradition but the issue isn't "caring" enough. We need capable coaches that can bring in good players and get them to execute. Archie couldn't. Crean only could 1/2 the time. Sampson couldn't do it within the rules. 

Michael Lewis hasn't ever been a Head-coach and we're gonna hand him the keys because he was a very good player and still cares? I can't get on board with that. That is ok if you are desperate, low-level program, but not IU. 

I think the former players would tell you that Archie didn't care about the history.  They never felt welcomed back at AH when Archie was there.  I heard an interview with Greg Graham who wasn't a fan of his because he would never get back into contact with him when he called.  Joe Hillman ripped Archie for not having his players stay on the court when RMK came back last year.

Michael Lewis was a guy that stood up against Knight if he thought he wasn’t in the wrong. He is a guy that will stand up for IU basketball as a coach. He played for Jasper and I remember watching him play in the regional against my cousin’s Northeast Dubois team. They played him very physical and tried to get In his head but he ended up with a billion assist and an easy win. Im a fan and I actually wouldn’t mind him getting a shot to coach at IU. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think the former players would tell you that Archie didn't care about the history.  They never felt welcomed back at AH when Archie was there.  I heard an interview with Greg Graham who wasn't a fan of his because he would never get back into contact with him when he called.  Joe Hillman ripped Archie for not having his players stay on the court when RMK came back last year.

Ok, Archie didn't have IU jammies and nightlight, I'll accept what you are saying is true....is that why he lost though? I'll take someone that doesn't even know who Bobby Knight is, if he wins the right way. You can learn about tradition and come to appreciate it, but not just anyone can win in the B1G. 

4 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Ok, Archie didn't have IU jammies and nightlight, I'll accept what you are saying is true....is that why he lost though? I'll take someone that doesn't even know who Bobby Knight is, if he wins the right way. You can learn about tradition and come to appreciate it, but not just anyone can win in the B1G. 

If you don’t have the IU nightlight I’m done with you. That’s hilarious. My wife still buys the family IU jammies every Christmas. I’m ashamed 

20 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I think most, including me, are talking about Lewis as an assistant....Not handing him the keys.

I think these are fair questions that should be explored. What does it mean to have an IU guy. Maybe a different thread but one thing I picked up from listening to DDand some talks with former players is the expectations/earn your time ideas seem different.

So many times Arch would implore for guys to hustle. They would not. Yet they stayed in the game.

Another point DD Hillman, Hartman and Leary have talked about is the lack of player development. This is not necessary even an IU thing as others do it but under Archie this was not as robust. I am convinced this is why we cannot shoot 3s or FF. These kids need a dedicated High end coach to fix bad form and help with repetition and with good technique

You work your tail off first then you earn your place. You forget or stop putting in the time you sit. To get your minutes back you work in your off hours but get help from a development coach.

Expectations should lead to training and development. Not just getting shots up but working with a coach and getting shots up. Studying defense and offense concepts so you know them as well as coaches.

Crean was better at this than Archie but Crean kept an inconsistent chaotic schedule which impacted training and coaching and even expectations.

I also think there is a value to maintaining strong healthy relationships with HS coaches. Crean was terrible at this and I am have heard better but mixed thoughts on Archie.

These are the things RMK focused on and are just a few examples of areas we are missing now.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I think you need to compare him to Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern.  He can walk into every recruit's home at tell them why he picked IU.  Guys who have lived it can make it real.  Guys who haven't are just "used car salesman" as one mom told us.  

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

I think these are fair questions that should be explored. What does it mean to have an IU guy. Maybe a different thread but one thing I picked up from listening to DDand some talks with former players is the expectations/earn your time ideas seem different.

So many times Arch would implore for guys to hustle. They would not. Yet they stayed in the game.

Another point DD Hillman, Hartman and Leary have talked about is the lack of player development. This is not necessary even an IU thing as others do it but under Archie this was not as robust. I am convinced this is why we cannot shoot 3s or FF. These kids need a dedicated High end coach to fix bad form and help with repetition and with good technique

You work your tail off first then you earn your place. You forget or stop putting in the time you sit. To get your minutes back you work in your off hours but get help from a development coach.

Expectations should lead to training and development. Not just getting shots up but working with a coach and getting shots up. Studying defense and offense concepts so you know them as well as coaches.

Crean was better at this than Archie but Crean kept an inconsistent chaotic schedule which impacted training and coaching and even expectations.

I also think there is a value to maintaining strong healthy relationships with HS coaches. Crean was terrible at this and I am have heard better but mixed thoughts on Archie.

These are the things RMK focused on and are just a few examples of areas we are missing now.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I saw one show where Kyle Horsby said Knight would make them stand on the baseline and stare at the banners.  They where required to know the years of each championship.    

11 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

I think you need to compare him to Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern.  He can walk into every recruit's home at tell them why he picked IU.  Guys who have lived it can make it real.  Guys who haven't are just "used car salesman" as one mom told us.  

And that is compelling, but Fitzgerald has shown he knows what to do with those guys once they arrive on campus. He also has handled all the other aspects of the job. Can Lewis? Maybe? Probably? We don't know because from what I can tell he's never even been the head coach of a High School team, let alone a major college program. That matters. I am not anti-Lewis and if we are talking as an ASSITANT, I am 110% behind it. But for HC it would be a horrible, horrible decision. 

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

And that is compelling, but Fitzgerald has shown he knows what to do with those guys once they arrive on campus. He also has handled all the other aspects of the job. Can Lewis? Maybe? Probably? We don't know because from what I can tell he's never even been the head coach of a High School team, let alone a major college program. That matters. I am not anti-Lewis and if we are talking as an ASSITANT, I am 110% behind it. But for HC it would be a horrible, horrible decision. 

I wouldn't classify it as "horrible."  A risky longshot, yes.  Absolutely.  

16 hours ago, Chris007 said:

....then we will have issues with not being able to walk, potentially cut tendons and serious nerve damage... I think I would still take him in a wheelchair, as long as it was temporary....( no offense to wheelchair users out there, merely an improbable visual analogy)....lol

22 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think he coached with beard under knight at TT for two years. Worked with some great coaches, gonna suck when he gets head coaching job someplace else.