Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Tier 1: Beard, Drew, Bennett (6-7M + 3M for staff)

Tier 2: S. Miller, Tang (3-5M) 

Tier 3: May, Schertz (3M) 

If we get rid of Woodson, the assistants have to go. How @$$ backwards is IU administration keeping the staff of the worst 4 year stint in IU history - they must be replaced as well.

1 minute ago, realTomCrean said:

If we get rid of Woodson, the assistants have to go. How @$$ backwards is IU administration keeping the staff of the worst 4 year stint in IU history - they must be replaced as well.

Yeah I don't think Sean Miller is gonna happen.

Alford is about the only IU guy that was qualified for this job, not that I wanted him.
The way this program has been run, they'll say it needs to be a Knight and hire Pat.
No they will say we need someone who won a title so we need to hire 70 year Scott may.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

We self-sabatoged the day he was hired. He is who he is. He came on probation and effectively that meant IU was on probation.  

Within 2 years he was caught blatantly and flagrantly doing what he was caught doing at Oklahoma. If the rumors are true an intern discovered it. It would’ve all come crashing down anyways. Maybe we could’ve covered it up for a year before some disgruntled recruit, AAU coach, employee, or ex  coach ratted us out to the NCAA. Two assistants were already thrown under the bus before the ax fell on Sampson himself. 

If the rumors were true about that team and things like the Zeller recruitment he would’ve alienated his home recruiting ground soon enough. You think you can bring kids like the Gordons, Zellers, Blackmons, etc.. on campus and the whole state won’t find out what a bunch of dips***s you’re keeping on the team? You think Yogi Farrel’s family is sending him down to that clown show?  

It was a dumb hire to start with doomed to fail from the beginning. 
He had tom.pritchard and derick lElston committed so sure he could have gotten those guys.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

We self-sabatoged the day he was hired. He is who he is. He came on probation and effectively that meant IU was on probation.  

Within 2 years he was caught blatantly and flagrantly doing what he was caught doing at Oklahoma. If the rumors are true an intern discovered it. It would’ve all come crashing down anyways. Maybe we could’ve covered it up for a year before some disgruntled recruit, AAU coach, employee, or ex  coach ratted us out to the NCAA. Two assistants were already thrown under the bus before the ax fell on Sampson himself. 

If the rumors were true about that team and things like the Zeller recruitment he would’ve alienated his home recruiting ground soon enough. You think you can bring kids like the Gordons, Zellers, Blackmons, etc.. on campus and the whole state won’t find out what a bunch of dips***s you’re keeping on the team? You think Yogi Farrel’s family is sending him down to that clown show?  

It was a dumb hire to start with doomed to fail from the beginning. 

Some kinda funny clarifications— yes it was an intern, but not sure it would’ve come crashing down from an ncaa rules standpoint— the “phonegate” calls that primarily made up the “major” infractions were no longer a violation of the rules the very next year - the ncaa’s case was silly - but it was bc Sampson had escaped when they were going after Okla, they wanted him.

But academics and running a program without drugs everywhere? Yeah, that would’ve been a problem for IU. We lost guys whose families wanted nothing to do with the kind of program he was running - we never would’ve gotten Cody under Sampson.

On the flip side, we were 24-4 when Sampson-gate broke, and plenty of strong players ready to come in. Look at what he’s done with UH, guy’s a fantastic bball mind and on-court coach. But he can run his program at UH in ways he can’t at IU, and in fairness from what I know (I’m in Houston) his program is cleaner now after his break from college ball. That’s all hindsight- maybe we would’ve been a program like MSU under Izzo (who I can’t stand), strong but playing in the mud and with players assaulting people etc. just wouldn’t work at IU.

We need a guy who can run a pretty clean program but a “today” program, use the damn 3-point line, guards and wings, play in the “grey” if / when needed but with compliance assisting the program, not playing “gotcha” against the  program — not dirty recruiting, but use the room in the rules. And we need a proven college coach.

No to Beard
No to Bennett
No to Miller

24 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

Beard is making $3mil/yr at Ole Miss and would probably take a pay cut to come coach at a “basketball” school. 

Toss a bag at Tommy Lloyd and see what he says. Only 49 years old and can coach. 

21 years as an assistant at Gonzaga. First gig as a head coach and he’s gone 33-4 (year 1),  28-7 (year 2) and rolling again this year. Most wins in the first 2 years by any Division 1 coach ever (61). 

On 2/3/2024 at 5:29 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Just me, but I think the next coach at IU will be Dusty May.  Just have to see when that happens.

At this point I think it's worth taking a flyer on.  He could fail miserably like the others.  Or he could be here for decades given his age.  

I just hope the Trio of Dolson, Witten and Buckner learned something from the Cig hire.  

Cig has a process and talks about following that process which leads to success.  We need the same from a basketball coach.  

I just hope the Trio of Dolson, Witten and Buckner learned something from the Cig hire.  
Cig has a process and talks about following that process which leads to success.  We need the same from a basketball coach.  

Maybe they did… but Tom Allen was never being protected by his Buddy, Quinn Buckner…

New mantra: Friends don’t let friends embarrass themselves as a bad coach.

Maybe they did… but Tom Allen was never being protected by his Buddy, Quinn Buckner…

New mantra: Friends don’t let friends embarrass themselves as a bad coach.

I don't see any world where Woodson ever gets fired with his best buddy protecting him. Best case is they pay Woodson tons of money to step down.

4 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

I don't see any world where Woodson ever gets fired with his best buddy protecting him. Best case is they pay Woodson tons of money to step down.

I would agree.  He's not going to get "fired" per se and lead out of the building.  He'll retire to "spend more time with his family."  The point though is not is the time to "encourage" that retirement.  If Quinn is the gatekeeper he needs to step up for the good of the program.  

5 minutes ago, Truthhurts said:

Schertz should be the guy. He’s an Xs and Os savant a la Stevens. And in the NIL era, at IU, you don’t have to be a great recruiter to get great recruits. 

If IU retains Woodson (and my guess is we will), someone else is going to pick up Schertz this offseason and IU will be miserable watching him take a lesser program to the final four within 4-6 years. Watch. 

This is the chance to finally get things right. Don’t hire to win the press conference (Cream, Archie, Woodson); hire to win games. Schertz wins, period. And his scheme is mathematically/ analytically aligned with modern basketball. 

Welcome to the board!

Not really sure this job requires you to be a X's and O's basketball savant to succeed. Really just need a guy who can identify and develop talent and recruit guys who play not only hard, but smart basketball for 40 minutes. I watch guys like Pearl, Beard, or Sampson and they aren't out-scheming anybody. But their dudes are the biggest and baddest on the court and have the willpower to get it done. 

12 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

I agree with you, and am fired-up about Cig, but let’s not forget that Cig hasn’t won a single BT game yet.