Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

23 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

As opposed to the thousands that have been calling for him to be fired since the day he arrived? The ones that post nonsense daily that isn’t even factual? The ones that harp for “changes”, it happens and don’t even recognize it? 

Honestly, I think what you are seeing is many fans, me being one, who is sick of the constant turn and burn mentality of our fanbase. It isn’t healthy. 

The irony to me is the loudest ones are the same guys who will crucify a player for transferring. “Soft, turn and run, should have stuck it out, look at Leal, kids these days all want immediate gratification, entitlement” - irony 

To the Assembly Hall comment from @Hornsby - they have been getting lit up over recent weeks for the over the top negativity.  Ryan being the biggest culprit. They are still very much in your camp, don’t worry. Think they realized they have a business and can’t just be fans.

There is no sure fire fix it option either. Yes, I have heard all the names. We will get another up and comer and hope he works. The big names are not coming here. How many hiring cycles does it take for fans to realize that?  This guys who talk to these coaches, friends with them etc keep telling us this time after time. 

I am seeing rapid changes from Woody. Should some have come faster, sure, but he is making them. I also can be objective and realize we have had major injury issues. Those that downplay the X time off and think he isn’t needed are way off base. For having the smartest fans, we sure miss a lot.

The big names the IU administration is willing to hire are not coming.  There are big names who would come.

52 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I am seeing rapid changes from Woody. Should some have come faster, sure, but he is making them. I also can be objective and realize we have had major injury issues. Those that downplay the X time off and think he isn’t needed are way off base. For having the smartest fans, we sure miss a lot.

Credit Dolson or whomever it is that has turned up the heat on Woodson. Woodson is too stubborn to suddenly have "seen the light"... somebody has leaned on him hard, and thankfully, it's about freaking time. That said, Woodson is in over his head and still hasn't the slightest clue what he's doing, IMO.

The big names the IU administration is willing to hire are not coming.  There are big names who would come.
Pure curiosity from me. Is this something you know for a fact or what you believe? If it is the latter, who are they and when and where did they say it? I truly have no idea and am genuinely interested. I am tired of watching the product on the floor as many people on here. I do believe this whole conversation the last couple weeks is moot because I don't believe CMW will be fired or he would quit.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I do believe this whole conversation the last couple weeks is moot because I don't believe CMW will be fired or he would quit.

This is Indiana. Coaching change conversation is never moot!

Eeeehhhh, CMW made substantial, marked changes mid year each of his previous two years that made the team better down the stretch. He’s shown some flexibility this month even in games that have gone poorly. If there’s criticism of his rigidity — and I think there is! — it’s that he hasn’t changed enough, or soon enough.

I have been pretty negative about the job he’s done this year BUT maybe he makes some adaptations and the roster changes for next year reflect that. This kind of year happens to almost every program, much as I hate it and I think the particular manner and reasons were predictable and could’ve been mitigated.

The real test is what happens next year, and in the offseason. If IU hadn’t suffered through Archie’s fallow years it would be a little easier to stomach a year like this, assuming it ends in the NIT or whatever. But there’s pressure built that isn’t really CMW’s fault, and it sure would’ve been nice if he inherited more at guard than he did.

49 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Eeeehhhh, CMW made substantial, marked changes mid year each of his previous two years that made the team better down the stretch. He’s shown some flexibility this month even in games that have gone poorly. If there’s criticism of his rigidity — and I think there is! — it’s that he hasn’t changed enough, or soon enough.

I have been pretty negative about the job he’s done this year BUT maybe he makes some adaptations and the roster changes for next year reflect that. This kind of year happens to almost every program, much as I hate it and I think the particular manner and reasons were predictable and could’ve been mitigated.

The real test is what happens next year, and in the offseason. If IU hadn’t suffered through Archie’s fallow years it would be a little easier to stomach a year like this, assuming it ends in the NIT or whatever. But there’s pressure built that isn’t really CMW’s fault, and it sure would’ve been nice if he inherited more at guard than he did.

I just disagree.  Year 3 is usually when good coaches get you rolling.  They almost never take a step back.  Look at the current ISU coach.  Heck Archie had is in the dance in year 3 had it not been cancelled.

I know this won't be popular but Trayce coming back for 2 more years likely did more damage than good for the program.  Woody would've been on the hot seat last year otherwise and certainly fired after this season.  

54 minutes ago, lillurk said:

He certainly had the opportunity to recruit a guard or two... and leaving a scholarship unused is anathema, given the roster last summer... coaching is not about "inheriting", it's about recruiting and teaching and adapting during the season and during a game... Woodson has shown no desire or ability to do that.

Just now, 8bucks said:

For those that think we have to make a change now don’t you think candidates would look at this quick move poorly?  Woody makes the tourney 2 years in a row and the year after having 2 kids leave for the nba we fire him?  Why would they come?  

Hasn't hurt other programs.  OSU fired Matta for one bad season with a HOF caliber record.  Howland went to 3 FFs in 4 years.  Got fired.  Alford went to 3 S16s in 4 years.  Fired.  We could go on and on.

IUs biggest mistake besides hiring incompetent coaches is that we hold onto them way too long.  Woody is about 66.  Regardless of what happens he's gone in the next few years.

14 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I know this won't be popular but Trayce coming back for 2 more years likely did more damage than good for the program.  Woody would've been on the hot seat last year otherwise and certainly fired after this season.  

Sorry, but being worse the last 2 years (without even knowing what our roster might have looked like sans TJD) doesn't have us in a better spot now. This program needs all the help it can get. This season has sucked, but let's not pretend last year wasn't a net positive in the long run. 

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

For those that think we have to make a change now don’t you think candidates would look at this quick move poorly?  Woody makes the tourney 2 years in a row and the year after having 2 kids leave for the nba we fire him?  Why would they come?  

The issue is the admin and program don’t know how to communicate with its fans… or communicate to potential. Coaches.

Our coaching staff says “ we’ve got to get over the hump” which does more harm than good when your target audience is very knowledgeable and is on twitter arguing drop coverage vs blitz on a PNR. 

Just for once I want someone on this coaching staff and athletic department to speak the truth. Just come out and say, Woodson has no strategic vision for the program so we’re moving on and hiring someone who does.

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Sorry, but being worse the last 2 years (without even knowing what our roster might have looked like sans TJD) doesn't have us in a better spot now. This program needs all the help it can get. This season has sucked, but let's not pretend last year wasn't a net positive in the long run. 

We'd be in a much better spot with Bruce Pearl as our coach next season vs Woody no matter how we got there.  Fact.

Lol that argument again.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

We'd be in a much better spot with Bruce Pearl as our coach next season vs Woody no matter how we got there.  Fact.

This isn't the NBA where you get rewarded for being bad. Last season showed this program can still contend and achieve a high ranking. It's much more difficult to convince someone this is still a good job if we're coming off 7 straight missed tournaments. 

14 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

For you to even expect that is hilarious. 

Haha I mean no harm in saying like “defensively we’re trying to get to X but we’re doing Y, Hoosier nation we’ll be running drills until this kids puke, we’ll get it fixed” then maybe this thread never pops up 

I just disagree.  Year 3 is usually when good coaches get you rolling.  They almost never take a step back.  Look at the current ISU coach.  Heck Archie had is in the dance in year 3 had it not been cancelled.
Unless you have a crean situation where you start with zero scholarship players you should be taking big steps forward by year three. Some probably don't want to hear that but you really need momentum going into the 4th year. Crean was actually lining up alot of recruits by year four. We currently have one.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Will those candidates be more likely to come after another bad season next year? It’s not a marriage. No need to try to stick it out for the kids when it’s obviously not working. 

3 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Successful coaches don't see themselves being anything but successful. They're not worried about how long (or short) of a leash they get. It's why I've always hated that we give coaches massive contracts with enormous buyouts to protect them from their own potential failure. 

The bigger problem we face today is that without our dusty banners, we're basically just Illinois or Iowa, and not really a step up the ladder for a lot of the coaches the fanbase covets.  

11 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Successful coaches don't see themselves being anything but successful. They're not worried about how long (or short) of a leash they get. It's why I've always hated that we give coaches massive contracts with enormous buyouts to protect them from their own potential failure. 

The bigger problem we face today is that without our dusty banners, we're basically just Illinois or Iowa, and not really a step up the ladder for a lot of the coaches the fanbase covets.  

Impatient for a winner, Kentucky fired Billy Gillispie as coach Friday after just two years, too many losses and too little appreciation for all the things that come with running college basketball’s all-time winningest program. Saying the Wildcats deserve a leader who understands “this is not just another coaching job,” athletic director Mitch Barnhart and president Lee Todd made the unusual decision to dismiss Gillispie less than two years after he was hired to replace Tubby Smith.

What would the last 15 years have looked like for UK if they obeyed the IU commandments? Probably not seven elite 8s, four final 4s and a national championship. 

But hey, winning is overrated. 

Impatient for a winner, Kentucky fired Billy Gillispie as coach Friday after just two years, too many losses and too little appreciation for all the things that come with running college basketball’s all-time winningest program. Saying the Wildcats deserve a leader who understands “this is not just another coaching job,” athletic director Mitch Barnhart and president Lee Todd made the unusual decision to dismiss Gillispie less than two years after he was hired to replace Tubby Smith.

What would the last 15 years have looked like for UK if they obeyed the IU commandments? Probably not seven elite 8s, four final 4s and a national championship. 
But hey, winning is overrated. 
Best post ever! Look at the results and trajectory if it isn't elite move on! Let's get back to winning!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk