Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

38 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Ok, maybe this was talked about prior but this thread is crazy already.

How about this idea? 

There are many who want Woody out (few still want it to play out) but even those who dislike him the most can admit he relates very well to top talent and that talent seems to believe in him. Now, maybe some will say that is all NIL but no, you don’t get the guys he has without some real connection.

We know no matter what, he needs to transition out in next few years at most. Why doesn’t Dolson just force his hand on assistants. Say the 2 associate HCs are out. Keep Calbert, Hulls and Walsh. Use that money plus buyout money saved and go hire the Dusty now. Pay him same salary he has now. Combined it is still cheaper than big numbers talked about.

If it really is the best kept secret ever that he wants to be here, then go get him and make him head coach in waiting and put a 2 year clock on it. Tell Woody he is still the coach, Dusty gets power over game plan, system etc. Woody gets to sell the dream and NBA connections still etc. Keep some talent flowing in and setup Dusty better for success. 

I don’t know, I know it is messy, Woody would have to buy in, etc. but Scheyer and K recently, CEOs in waiting, etc. happens a lot. If Woody doesn’t buy in, easy to explain this is only option here. This gives him a great chance to go out on a high and truly be the link needed to the future. Have him remembered forever for that. 

Thoughts? 

It seems to have worked at Duke -- and it did at PU with Painter and Keady. But Scheyer and Painter were 33-34 years old when they became the CIW. 

Dusty already is 47. He's not gonna want to wait, even for his "dream job." If he has another decent season this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he's at a P5 school next season. 

Plus, I just don't see Woody going for it. 

Both Painter and Sheyer were already on the bench.   If Dusty has any smarts at all, he wouldn't want to come into a position that he couldn't immediately begin to change.  And while Woody might agree to most anything to remain head coach well, ............................................!

58 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

How about this idea? 

There are many who want Woody out (few still want it to play out) but even those who dislike him the most can admit he relates very well to top talent and that talent seems to believe in him. Now, maybe some will say that is all NIL but no, you don’t get the guys he has without some real connection.

We know no matter what, he needs to transition out in next few years at most. Why doesn’t Dolson just force his hand on assistants. Say the 2 associate HCs are out. Keep Calbert, Hulls and Walsh. Use that money plus buyout money saved and go hire the Dusty now. Pay him same salary he has now. Combined it is still cheaper than big numbers talked about.

If it really is the best kept secret ever that he wants to be here, then go get him and make him head coach in waiting and put a 2 year clock on it. Tell Woody he is still the coach, Dusty gets power over game plan, system etc. Woody gets to sell the dream and NBA connections still etc. Keep some talent flowing in and setup Dusty better for success. 

I don’t know, I know it is messy, Woody would have to buy in, etc. but Scheyer and K recently, CEOs in waiting, etc. happens a lot. If Woody doesn’t buy in, easy to explain this is only option here. This gives him a great chance to go out on a high and truly be the link needed to the future. Have him remembered forever for that. 

Thoughts? 

It won’t work because Woody’s stubbornness and inflexibility won’t allow it.  Wasn’t that the plan for Fife?  He and Woody bumped heads and that will happen with Dusty.

It won’t work because Woody’s stubbornness and inflexibility won’t allow it.  Wasn’t that the plan for Fife?  He and Woody bumped heads and that will happen with Dusty.
Fife was never confirmed by any credible sources to be coach in wait lol. If he was ever considering to be head coach here I would hope Woodson wouldn't be able to just send him on his way because he disliked NIL. If that is the case everyone involved should be fired

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Both Painter and Sheyer were already on the bench.   If Dusty has any smarts at all, he wouldn't want to come into a position that he couldn't immediately begin to change.  And while Woody might agree to most anything to remain head coach well, ............................................!

Painter wasn't on the staff at Purdue when they brought him in as coach on waiting. He left S. Illinois to go to Purdue for a year until Keady retired. He mainly concentrated on recruiting groups r that year.

41 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Fife was never confirmed by any credible sources to be coach in wait lol. If he was ever considering to be head coach here I would hope Woodson wouldn't be able to just send him on his way because he disliked NIL. If that is the case everyone involved should be fired

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

That was the rumor that I heard.  I also heard that Dolson was responsible for bringing him in, not Woodson

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

It seems to have worked at Duke -- and it did at PU with Painter and Keady. But Scheyer and Painter were 33-34 years old when they became the CIW. 

Dusty already is 47. He's not gonna want to wait, even for his "dream job." If he has another decent season this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he's at a P5 school next season. 

Plus, I just don't see Woody going for it. 

If IU is Dusty’s “dream job”, he’ll take it whenever. Let him go coach at Miami for the next 6-8 years to get his feet wet in big boy basketball and let IU hire Bruce Pearl to right the ship. Auburn might win the national title this year.

3 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

How about this idea? 

Thoughts? 

I just don’t think this is something that either individual would buy into. Woody has a massive ego. It shows in the way he speaks about himself. I think we can also point to the fact that Thad Matta was there to help Woodson navigate things and he decided to coach again after only one season. Pretty sure I heard rumors that Woodson was being hard headed. I don’t buy the official narrative around that situation at all.
Either way, I think this would just be another instance in which Indiana is trying to complicate the hiring process and reinvent the wheel. I think the optics around it would just confirm (as if it isn’t already) to everyone else that there is systemic dysfunction inside the program.
I like Woody the person, so it’s frustrating that we even put ourselves in this position with an IU legend. But this is a business. A big one. The admin is treating it like it’s a big country club. Sometimes in business things aren’t able to be handled with a gentle touch or with the political games. 

The adage “too many chiefs and not enough Indians” applies here. We need a Chief Executive who isn’t afraid to make the difficult decision and have tough and direct conversations. If we’re a serious program, we will let Woodson know what his options are. Give him the option to step down as head coach or let him know that the university is going to be moving in another direction at seasons end. All of his privileges and access to the program as a former player will be extended to him, as usual. We will still value him here. 

After that we need to put together our absolute best package together for recruiting the next head coach. Highlight every single resource the next coach would have available to him, to have success here. If we can compete with the games biggest programs, then prove it.  Go after the games bigger names. Conduct a targeted search, boldly and directly approach the coach or his representatives, gauge interest, and aggressively negotiate with those with a smidgen of interest. If we aren’t able to put a competitive compensation package together, to target that level of a coach, then we need to identify coaches at the lower levels who are bonafide winners. Not guys with barely a .600 winning percentage and an outlier season of postseason success. We need a guy who wins above .700 and has multiple regular season and postseason titles. I don’t care if this guy comes from the NAIA or D2….. he needs to be a person who has a proven CHAMPIONSHIP pedigree.

I understand that Scheyer was under K’s wings and they had a succession plan but I think we are seeing that Scheyer is not K. It’s also pretty well known that K is still involved. It explains why Duke still gets who they want even though Scheyer is unproven. With that said, Woody is no Coach K. Not in any measurable way and we aren’t Duke. 

Anyways….It sounds like May is already handpicked for the job. Which makes sense. Thats exactly the type of move I expect IU to make. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think he will be anything more than a Tom Crean as far as on court results. I’m more impressed with Josh Shertz. Shertz is a better coach imo. 

So what are we expecting to be the minimum for CMW and company to keep their jobs after the season and what are the odds a change is made.

my opinion is CMW could streak across the court mid-game and he’d still be the coach to begin next year. Short of an home run hire approaching us out of the blue, I’d say we’re stuck. Odds of a change being made is 5%.

4 minutes ago, Herotime said:

So what are we expecting to be the minimum for CMW and company to keep their jobs after the season and what are the odds a change is made.

my opinion is CMW could streak across the court mid-game and he’d still be the coach to begin next year. Short of an home run hire approaching us out of the blue, I’d say we’re stuck. Odds of a change being made is 5%.

I think there are two things that would have to happen for us to make a change.

1. It’s no secret Dusty May wants this job.  If the Owls make another run in the tournament like last year I think Woodson is ‘nudged’ out in the most gracious way to bring Dusty home.

2.  I don't know if the administration will tolerate any more off court incidents or if we keep with the dirty play/cheap shots.  As I said after the Wisconsin game, Don Fischer calling our teams actions embarrassing is a pretty big deal.

He is not going to get forced out and we go do this big search and try to go after someone like  Peal/Beard or pick whatever name you want.  That’s not happening.

In my opinion, it’s 50/50 right now that it will be Woodson or May next year.  

I think there are two things that would have to happen for us to make a change.
1. It’s no secret Dusty May wants this job.  If the Owls make another run in the tournament like last year I think Woodson is ‘nudged’ out in the most gracious way to bring Dusty home.
2.  I don't know if the administration will tolerate any more off court incidents or if we keep with the dirty play/cheap shots.  As I said after the Wisconsin game, Don Fischer calling our teams actions embarrassing is a pretty big deal.
He is not going to get forced out and we go do this big search and try to go after someone like  Peal/Beard or pick whatever name you want.  That’s not happening.
In my opinion, it’s 50/50 right now that it will be Woodson or May next year.  

I fully agree. Both kinda sadden me. May would be so easy to root for, just like Woody, but I don’t know that he really offers an upgrade or not. He probably does but there would be so many questions.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I fully agree. Both kinda sadden me. May would be so easy to root for, just like Woody, but I don’t know that he really offers an upgrade or not. He probably does but there would be so many questions.

I understand.  I personally think May has done enough and another FF run he is our coach next year.  It’s just my opinion, but it’s either Woodson or May.  For those that don’t like either option I don’t know what to tell you.

Purely hypothetical.  Woody's back next year but Walsh, Ya, Hunter all go elsewhere.   Not suggesting all 3 but if any 1, 2 or all 3 depart who's he going to get to replace them and what's the impact on our recruiting efforts?  Impression is Woody's not particularly interested in independent thinking on his staff so who do we end up with?  More of Woody's ex-NBA friends?

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Purely hypothetical.  Woody's back next year but Walsh, Ya, Hunter all go elsewhere.   Not suggesting all 3 but if any 1, 2 or all 3 depart who's he going to get to replace them and what's the impact on our recruiting efforts?  Impression is Woody's not particularly interested in independent thinking on his staff so who do we end up with?  More of Woody's ex-NBA friends?

He promoted Walsh so I think he would stay in house.  Who’s next in line?  Jordy?

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Probably one or both of Calbert and Jordy get promoted with Jordy already in a recruiting role taking the bear of that. Maybe the coaching carousel brings another name we're not thinking of now to the forefront.

31 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This may seem crazy but, why don't we hire May and Woody stay on his staff. I want to root for both of the guys. Both care about the program. With May, there are lots of questions. The biggie, recruiting. 

Fisch making that statement absolutely scares the hell out of me. Prior to yesterdays game, I was at a 4 out of 10. Now, I'm at that 9.5 range worried. Fisch has been doing this a long time. He's seeing something

29 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If they were to leave, which they could indeed for all sorts of reasons. I see Woodson hiring some younger coaches for recruiting purposes. 

1 hour ago, Herotime said:

As long as Indiana wins at least a couple more games, Woodson will be back. If they lose out somehow, then perhaps I could see a change made.

But again, I think it will take Woodson retiring before him getting let go. Nonetheless, the report when Woodson finally leaves will be “retirement” despite him being let go.