Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Alford.  Check mark ✔️ approved 

Coach at Indiana State.  Check mark ✔️ approved 

The Dan Fife scenario makes more and more sense.

6 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Why would he come here for that? He's sitting pretty as are his grandchildren. He has a good thing in Waco. No chance he comes here to take on this **** show

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

You have clearly never been to Waco. He should be paying us to rescue him from that godforsaken town.

6 hours ago, IU_FanClub said:

I’m a huge Bruce Pearl fan but his age concerns me

It’s a fair concern as he’s only a couple years younger than Woody. But as USPS has pointed out he’s spent his entire career in the college game as opposed to taking his first college gig. And Woody seems 10 years older than he actually is. Pearl seems 10 years younger. 8-10 years of Bruce Pearl could be a helluva ride. 

Don't know if anybody here remembers the Bruce Pearl-Deon Thomas incident. 

If not, here's a recap: As an Iowa assistant in the late 80s, Pearl recorded a phone conversation with Thomas, who played at Chicago Simeon and eventually was Illinois' Mr. Basketball. Just about everybody was recruiting him. Pearl got Thomas to admit he had received an offer of money and a vehicle from Illinois, then turned over the tape to the NCAA. 

Pearl has since had violations at just about every stop along the way since becoming a head coach, including having a main assistant at Auburn (former Pacer Chuck Person) arrested on bribery, fraud and conspiracy charges. 

IMO, if you're gonna rat someone out like he did with Illinois -- you need to, in turn, keep your a$$ squeaky clean. 

Pearl is a good coach and has a big personality, which is what IU needs. But I think he's a complete slimeball. My guess is Auburn is his final stop. Even though the Deon Thomas incident was over 30 years ago, I just can't see him coaching in the B1G. 

I have not studied up on dusty but alot of posters on here have me scared to death. He is a gamble. Not as big of gamble as Woodson but not a proven winner yet

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I have not studied up on dusty but alot of posters on here have me scared to death. He is a gamble. Not as big of gamble as Woodson but not a proven winner yet

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

As someone who has been against the Woodson hire since Day 1, I couldn’t tell you a single “candidate” that gives me confidence right now. 

8 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

"In my 51 years behind this microphone I will say something that I've never said before: I'm embarrassed for this team, and it has nothing to do with the score."

- Don Fischer

yikes! 

Dolson’s going to need a horse tranquilizer to get to sleep tonight. 

We are cursed. I’m officially convinced. 

What happened that made Don say this?

Social media continues to crap on Woodson and the programs general state. Obviously social media is what it is, but it has been interesting to see some people that were big Woodson people start to change their standing. 

44 minutes ago, Trish said:

Social media continues to crap on Woodson and the programs general state. Obviously social media is what it is, but it has been interesting to see some people that were big Woodson people start to change their standing. 

It was bound to happen but know one thought it would be this soon.  He’s got to turn this ship around and soon.  He does have the talent on this team to, and that’s what is the most frustrating thing is and we all know it!

Here is the only thing I know, if we part ways with Woodson, it will be a dumpster fire and getting the right coaching candidate will be almost impossible.  I can’t believe I am actually saying this, but I think the best and only course of action is to keep CMW and let him right the ship.  He needs to right the ship by somewhat cleaning house with players and assistants, keep only the players that will play hard and represent the university and start holding his players accountable.  To me, if he can right the ship, he can go out on his own terms and it will make it more attractive for the next coach.  To me, by firing him, no good candidates would want to come here and we will be going through this thing again in 3 or 4 years.  This program needs stability and CMW needs to be more flexible and change his coaching style and recruiting tactics.  His stubbornness and ego has gotten in the way of this program’s evolution 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Don't know if anybody here remembers the Bruce Pearl-Deon Thomas incident. 

If not, here's a recap: As an Iowa assistant in the late 80s, Pearl recorded a phone conversation with Thomas, who played at Chicago Simeon and eventually was Illinois' Mr. Basketball. Just about everybody was recruiting him. Pearl got Thomas to admit he had received an offer of money and a vehicle from Illinois, then turned over the tape to the NCAA. 

Pearl has since had violations at just about every stop along the way since becoming a head coach, including having a main assistant at Auburn (former Pacer Chuck Person) arrested on bribery, fraud and conspiracy charges. 

IMO, if you're gonna rat someone out like he did with Illinois -- you need to, in turn, keep your a$$ squeaky clean. 

Pearl is a good coach and has a big personality, which is what IU needs. But I think he's a complete slimeball. My guess is Auburn is his final stop. Even though the Deon Thomas incident was over 30 years ago, I just can't see him coaching in the B1G. 

If he were here the Illinois and Iowa games could be intense.  His discretions after this could also be chalked up to seeing up close what other schools did and got away with and just decided that was the way to win.  Look at the top 25 ranked teams and most of the big name coaches or schools have had some their own issues or at least insinuations of cheating.  

54 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Here is the only thing I know, if we part ways with Woodson, it will be a dumpster fire and getting the right coaching candidate will be almost impossible.  I can’t believe I am actually saying this, but I think the best and only course of action is to keep CMW and let him right the ship.  He needs to right the ship by somewhat cleaning house with players and assistants, keep only the players that will play hard and represent the university and start holding his players accountable.  To me, if he can right the ship, he can go out on his own terms and it will make it more attractive for the next coach.  To me, by firing him, no good candidates would want to come here and we will be going through this thing again in 3 or 4 years.  This program needs stability and CMW needs to be more flexible and change his coaching style and recruiting tactics.  His stubbornness and ego has gotten in the way of this program’s evolution 

If he starts hitting on some recruits it might give hope to the idea of righting the ship. Really need a big time guard or 2 to commit. He has done well in the portal but by the time the portal window opens there may be too many people questioning the program to expect his portal success to continue. 

2 hours ago, Trish said:

I thought there was a pretty noticeable shift after the Nebraska game. We've just had far too many games where the coaching staff and players don't seem to know what's going on most of the time. 

The most frustrating thing is, some of our problems ARE fixable, but the people getting paid millions of dollars to coach basketball can't fix them. 

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Same argument many used with Archie