Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

3 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

IU is a wonderful school that has produced many successful, wealthy alums who love and support their alma mater.

There may well be more than one, but off the top of my head I can only think of one who qualifies as a "billionaire"

I know everyone thinks “Mark Cuban”, but people forget about the Cook Family and Cindy Simon-Skjodt - the names literally on both Assembly Hall and the training facility “Cook Hall” right next to it.

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It has taken me 40 minutes to get caught up in this thread and I'm developing carpal tunnel syndrome.  Make it stop!  I can't shake the feeling this is Billy Donovan 2.0 and we're in for a major letdown and whoever the next coach is will seem like a disappointment whoever it may be.  

Dolson will have to work hard for me to be disappointed. There are some I want more than others, but there are 5 or 6 contenders that wouldn’t upset me. 

5 minutes ago, Over 100 Games said:

I know everyone thinks “Mark Cuban”, but people forget about the Cook Family and Cindy Simon-Skjodt - the names literally on both Assembly Hall and the training facility “Cook Hall” right next to it.

There also happens to be a “Charitable Contributions” business function at Cook Medical, and the VP in charge of that business function is very close with Scott Dolson.  

Merely speculating, but if I had to put my money on a person or group - that’s it right there.

6 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

You make good points about Drew but I look at it like this:

He only had 1 year of HC experience before taking over at Baylor so he's been learning on the job as do all coaches. But many of them start low and work there way up with various stops at increasingly difficult competition. Other than the 1 year at Valpo, Drew basically started his coaching career in a tough conference. While his career winning percentage isn't great, you can see steady improvement. 

Baylor basically has no history in bball to fall back on. I don't remember the exact number, but before him they had been to the NCAAT less than a handful of times in their entire history. He has them at a #1 seed.

He took over a complete mess. Worse than what Crean took over at IU. So he's literally built that program from nothing. That will hurt his career numbers.

A big one for me, especially after the stubbornness of Miller, is that he's shown a willingness to make big changes to his system. For a long time he primarily used zone defense and they were decent but not great at it. He switched to M2M and they now have an elite defense.

Pretty good recruiter. Maybe great considering the school. 31 4* and 5* players in his time at Baylor. He could do even better at IU.

Has had talent but not a ton of it in his time there so is able to develop players and put a team on the floor that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Last few teams have had elite offense and defense.

It took him a while to get there but now he's a more nationally known name with a lot of momentum. I don't think it would take him long at IU to get things turned around. I think he has figured out how to win consistently.

But, yes, he is missing Final Fours on his resume but does have 2 Elite Eights and another couple of Sweet 16s. He has an NIT championship but no Big 12 tournament championships. 

Stevens is my #1-#5 choice but I would be pretty happy with Drew. I'd personally rather have him as coach over Beard. Not a sure thing but I think he could do really well at IU.

Good points.

Hopefully he wasn't able to pull 4 and 5 stars into Baylor because of anything sketchy or inappropriate. 

I appreciate being able to have cordial and level headed discussions on this forum. 

19 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

IIRC a year or so ago Doyel was all but guaranteeing that, if Brad left the NBA, it would be for Duke when Coach K retires

I believe this as Greg ****** has never been wrong.  Talk about a troll.

Stevens is a known huge Coach K fan so nothing earth shattering in his statement.

1 minute ago, Over 100 Games said:

There also happens to be a “Charitable Contributions” business function at Cook Medical, and the VP in charge of that business function is very close with Scott Dolson. 

No way would something like that get involved with giving money to an Athletic Department. My wife was on her companies charitable board for a number of years, and those things have to be very careful about what kind of organizations get their money.  They could easily give it to a scholarship function at IU, but they could get in a lot of hot water for giving it to the Athletic Department, 

15 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Well, I know of one billionaire IU donor in the Texas area.  Anyone else?

I don't think it was Cuban.  I am thinking more along the lines of the Cook family.  Probably wrong though.

Edited by beaver56

2 hours ago, HoosierMama23 said:

OK, after lurking for 2 days since HSN went down I finally created an account.  After seeing posts referencing The Bachelor and Better Call Saul and needing more females to balance out the testosterone, I've finally caved  :)

I love and hate coaching searches.... I hate that we are having to do this again 4 years after the last one but boy the speculation is fun.  Come home Brad!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you are saying Saul Goodman is our next coach?

Just now, jmsgws said:

No way would something like that get involved with giving money to an Athletic Department. My wife was on her companies charitable board for a number of years, and those things have to be very careful about what kind of organizations get their money.  They could easily give it to a scholarship function at IU, but they could get in a lot of hot water for giving it to the Athletic Department, 

Counterpoint: Carl Cook, this VP, and Steve Ferguson all work closely together for the purpose of this function. Not saying that the money would have come from this business function directly, but maybe Dolson asked these 3 to come together to discuss his proposal.

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Seems like he knows the donor if he is truthful 

B74EC2B0-6CC9-462E-B1D1-E9D6C39E2D19.png

Guy has a total of 395 followers and posted a couple of days ago that ‘his sources had been telling him since January” that Miller was going to be fired.   To put it bluntly......he’s just throwing crap at the wall looking for clicks.

9 minutes ago, Over 100 Games said:

Merely speculating, but if I had to put my money on a person or group - that’s it right there.

Bingo me too.