Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Maybe I'm reading into things too much, but there's a comment in Dolson's announcement that caught my ears.

"I'm a big process guy."

Of course, Brad Stevens would be our ultimate dream, grand slam hire, but somehow I thought if Stevens is a pipe dream, it could be Beilein because IU can certainly hire him as a stepping stone to right the program and to position the IU job as a much more attractive one in 5-6 years from now. And if Beilein can hire Dane Fife as his top assistant? I think I would love it. 

I know this is off topic, but I was casually scrolling through change.org and found this petition.  I was deeply moved by it, and so I signed it.  I know it is a few years old,  but it is such an important issue.  Please consider signing it too.  I have no ulterior motives...

https://www.change.org/p/boston-celtics-fire-danny-ainge-and-brad-stevens

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I hate it when you use logic to make us slow down

Doesn't really make me slow down, the question is compound and inherently produced an unclear answer. Let me try with an extended, not dissimilar hypothetical:

• "Mr. Smith, I want to understand what you're telling us.  you're telling us you're guilty of robbing 47 banks this morning and can long jump over the Grand Canyon...is that what you're telling us?"  
  • "I am not."

Brad Stevens when asked if what he was telling them was that he was not leaving, also answered "I am not." 

The unclarity? Did the "I am not" relate to 'the leaving' or the 'that's what you're telling us.'

53 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

On this, I heard there will be no leaks. There will be less than 5 people who will know what is going on before it is made public. 

That would be a truly impressive feat with no search committee handling all logistics of this (legal, travel, food, etc.).  If Dolson can do that I will be very impressed.

Interviewer: "So you're not quitting your Celtics job to go coach at Indiana is what you're telling us."
Brad Stevens: "I am not."
Interviewer: "Alright, there you go. We got the answer."

Important part of sentence....”is that what you’re telling us”

Brad “I am not” (as in I’m not telling you anything”

I find anyway to keep the positivity rolling.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Doesn't really make me slow down, the question is compound and inherently produced an unclear answer. Let me try with an extended, not dissimilar hypothetical:

• "Mr. Smith, I want to understand what you're telling us.  you're telling us you're guilty of robbing 47 banks this morning and can long jump over the Grand Canyon...is that what you're telling us?"  
  • "I am not."

Brad Stevens when asked if what he was telling them was that he was not leaving, also answered "I am not." 

The unclarity? Did the "I am not" relate to 'the leaving' or the 'that's what you're telling us.'

Ken Nunn, is that you?

20 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Rick Pitino just said on DD’s he’s ending his career at Iona but IU should get on a jet fly to Boston and not take no for an answer. Who knowa if he’ll really end up staying at Iona but I thought that was funny about Boston.

There's one thing we shouldn't underestimate on Pitino: his ego. Also, his too good of a coach for a struggling high major D1 program (obviously with lots of money) to pass up. I heard Pitino's buyout is $10mil but wonder if that's ever gonna go down.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

• "I am not."

And I think Brad would certainly be smart and savvy enough to answer “I am not” to their “is that what you’re telling us?”, and they not even realize what he just did haha. So that definitely does make it interesting. 

I think Stevens is a long shot, but intriguing that he apparently at least listened to the pitch. 

Get the best coach available, if Steven is "available" or not is up to him, If not then move to the next best option....whoever that is. 

Just now, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

So is this now the thread for all the latest gossip or is it the other coaching candidate thread? I only have so much time to not do productive things

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It started as just a prediction for people's guesses, but it kinda mutated (imagine that, BTB going off track lol)

1 minute ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

So is this now the thread for all the latest gossip or is it the other coaching candidate thread? I only have so much time to not do productive things

Every thread is a collection of our hopes and dreams of Brad Stevens. 

Occasionally we’ll have someone mention Drew or Mussleman but we ignore it and go back to our main and only candidate. 

Brad ********* Stevens!

3 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

An EXCELLENT point, and lord knows I'm as guilty as anyone!

The Coaching Candidates thread is much more of a catch-all. This one is for predictions of the eventual coach.

My current prediction?

Scott Drew.

4 hours ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

I 100% believe this is true.  Let me break some more news for you.  Indiana has not yet reached out to Stevens, Matta, Beilein, or any other coach, but I bet that IU has reached out to their agents or representatives.  I don't know if this is just someone being cute with the words they are using, but not reaching out to them is different than not reaching out to their reps.

Plus you need really long arms to reach out to these fellas.  Now a phone call, that could be a different story.  :)