Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I get it you don’t agree with the staff but which players that the staff have prioritized have committed elsewhere from the portal yet?   It’s the day after the national championship game with more players entering the portal each day.   Would  you have preferred high school kids instead of the portal?     It was known early on the staff was going to use the portal this year to fill gaps.   I personally don’t see a need to panic about recruiting but I have no problem if anyone else wants to do that for me.   

I am getting the sense that one gap the staff is looking at is the dreaded e word.  Sparks and the recruitment of DeLoach would seem to say that.  From the little we know it does seem like they are looking for team centered guys...from what Chris said about their thoughts on Love it doesn't seem like they want a talented but self centered player around.

I get it you don’t agree with the staff but which players that the staff have prioritized have committed elsewhere from the portal yet?   It’s the day after the national championship game with more players entering the portal each day.   Would  you have preferred high school kids instead of the portal?     It was known early on the staff was going to use the portal this year to fill gaps.   I personally don’t see a need to panic about recruiting but I have no problem if anyone else wants to do that for me.   

It depends. There were ‘23 recruits I would have loved to get, but in general the portal is the best plan to replace production immediately if you can’t get mature top end talent guys. I’m glad we are portaling. I’m disappointed we didn’t get Bates or Geronimo to be valuable pieces for us but I can accept that. It happens. As far as the panic stuff, it’s whatever. In my life I’ve been a pretty good predictor of things, all things. I’ve seen Indiana slide through numerous coaches and have almost always seen the signs early. I’m not saying we are there yet and I prefer we don’t go back but a bad portaling season would not portend well for our future with Woodson. It’s a critical juncture. Those can spiral into 2-3 year windows to identify and rectify.

But in the end, I love all of it. I’m a diehard, and I’ll ride through whatever is coming and entertain myself along the way.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I haven't followed the back and forth between the two of them -- trying to turn over a new leaf and avoid those things.  But at the same time, I do think that the as a one-off that Wayne's comments on DeLoach could have been read as anything but looking for the negative.  The 'gets pushed around in his own league' line....not sure where he is coming up with that only he's just looking at his weight and nothing else.  It certainly isn't being said by the people who voted for the all-conference team nor is it being said by the people who watched him play a lot.

Anyway, I have nothing but love for Wayne and know he was contributing here way before I had even signed up.  Guy coached Ohio State to the PC Stellar league I ran here a couple of years ago.

The “pushed around” line comes from watching his tape. He’s long and lanky and doesn’t finish through or punish anyone. He uses his speed and leaping ability. He seems like a good fit for Miami based on my 15 minute scout. Lol. I could be wrong, but he doesn’t look like 5 in the B1G to me.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The “pushed around” line comes from watching his tape. He’s long and lanky and doesn’t finish through or punish anyone. He uses his speed and leaping ability. He seems like a good fit for Miami based on my 15 minute scout. Lol. I could be wrong, but he doesn’t look like 5 in the B1G to m

Therein lies the rub. To make it far in the tournament we need to be able to compete against athletic teams like Miami. However, we also need to be able to win enough games in the B1G to not only make the tournament but to have a decent seed. 

The “pushed around” line comes from watching his tape. He’s long and lanky and doesn’t finish through or punish anyone. He uses his speed and leaping ability. He seems like a good fit for Miami based on my 15 minute scout. Lol. I could be wrong, but he doesn’t look like 5 in the B1G to me.

I would assume he would be the backup 4 to Malik assuming that we get someone who can start at the 5. I am basing this on Malik working on his outside shot this summer to play the stretch 4

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He wouldn’t be a 5 in the B1G.   He says he is a 4 

“Whichever team I choose is getting a high motor, highly skilled four man with a motor that never stops. I also rebound the ball really well on defense and offense and I’m an overall leader.”

This to me is IU doing their due diligence and having a back up plan just in case things fall the wrong way.    Not sure he is a priority target 

It isn't just me that is getting tired of his Eeyore routine 

You can always ignore.

It’s Indiana basketball, my reactions mirror the results of the team on and off the court. I’m much better off under Woody than I was under Archie. (I turned on him after a year). Lol. I turned on Crean way earlier than most but even I thought he was “bringing us back to greatness” for a while. . I’m sure that was annoying but so was what I was watching under Tom Crean. Again, lol.

I think the program can and should be a step better than it even is now. I hope Woody can get it to the next step. I am concerned that through Woody, Nil, and other things our recruiting has started to be a struggle and underwhelming. Teams can win with less and IF Woody demonstrates that ability or any Indiana coach does I’ll seem more relaxed.

Certain coaches, Izzo, Painter, some others I don’t even follow much who they recruit because rankings don’t matter. They recruit a type and a system and that system is what wins. Woody predicates on a NBA style that prioritizes talent and individual skill so I think getting the best talent is more important to him than some of the system guys.

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

“Whichever team I choose is getting a high motor, highly skilled four man with a motor that never stops. I also rebound the ball really well on defense and offense and I’m an overall leader.”

This to me is IU doing their due diligence and having a back up plan just in case things fall the wrong way.    Not sure he is a priority target 

But the portal is wild and trying to predict what kids will do in a different situation from where they were before would be hard to predict 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-court-report-how-xavier-senior-souley-boum-emerged-as-one-of-college-basketballs-most-valuable-transfers/
this kid did a heck of a job in his first year running the point for any team 

You can always ignore.

It’s Indiana basketball, my reactions mirror the results of the team on and off the court. I’m much better off under Woody than I was under Archie. (I turned on him after a year). Lol. I turned on Crean way earlier than most but even I thought he was “bringing us back to greatness” for a while. . I’m sure that was annoying but so was what I was watching under Tom Crean. Again, lol.

I think the program can and should be a step better than it even is now. I hope Woody can get it to the next step. I am concerned that through Woody, Nil, and other things our recruiting has started to be a struggle and underwhelming. Teams can win with less and IF Woody demonstrates that ability or any Indiana coach does I’ll seem more relaxed.

Certain coaches, Izzo, Painter, some others I don’t even follow much who they recruit because rankings don’t matter. They recruit a type and a system and that system is what wins. Woody predicates on a NBA style that prioritizes talent and individual skill so I think getting the best talent is more important to him than some of the system guys.

Not sure why these guys are acting like your freaking out. I guess they don't like the truth and or can't see how bad this team will be next season as it is

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Not IU related but listening to coaches different philosophies is interesting.  Field of 68 had some coaches on over the week and some were saying that they look for highly ranked  freshman entering the portal because you know you got 3 years left with them.  My guess is kids can and will get a waiver but I get what they are saying.   

Yeah, I thought Reneau was our 4. Maybe if we don’t get who we want we slide Reneau to the 5 and this kid to the 4. But then it’s still a no because, although I LOVE the motor and the rebounding tenacity, I don’t really want a 4 that not only can’t shoot but is a bad free throw shooter. Because if he’s a “4” but his offense comes at the rim, he might as well be a 5 who wants to guard a 4.

Anyway, this is all probably an exercise in fruition because I don’t think he ends up being a Hoosier. But he did call us the Mecca, which means Adam Howard is in his ear. Lol. So….

3 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Not sure why these guys are acting like your freaking out. I guess they don't like the truth and or can't see how bad this team will be next season as it is

The thing is that our roster isn't set for next year. Also with XJ, Reneau, Banks I think that is a very good start for next year.

46 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

It isn't just me that is getting tired of his Eeyore routine 

There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about next season. We are losing a ton. Talking about needing big pieces to replace those guys isn’t an “eeyore routine.”

If you’re upset about someone not pumping incessant sunshine, you’re looking for an echo chamber, not a message board. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about next season. We are losing a ton. Talking about needing big pieces to replace those guys isn’t an “eeyore routine.”

If you’re upset about someone not pumping incessant sunshine, you’re looking for an echo chamber, not a message board. 

It is April 4th so need to worry yet. KSU had 2 players on their roster on July 1st and went to the elite 8. Also there are a lot of teams in the big ten and around the country bhas the same concerns.

Just now, Scotty R said:

It is April 4th so need to worry yet. KSU had 2 players on their roster on July 1st and went to the elite 8. Also there are a lot of teams in the big ten and around the country bhas the same concerns.

Ok then just let us know when we’re allowed to start talking about our roster and we’ll all come back then. Thanks! 

24 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Re:  "as it is".......there is zero chance that the team next season consists of the current roster as it is.