Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Are you suggesting Ware verballed Thursday night and now is backing out?

No. I think he verballed or expressed that desire. Now we just have to hold off the sharks. I think if Tuesday stays the commitment day and everything holds Ware is a Hoosier. Almost everything points this way.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I highly suggest everyone listen to Eric’s Twitter spaces from last night. A great window into the thought process of the staff on recruiting.

Also mentioned we don’t really lead for the ‘24s. The way things went with Bates has caused some pause in the staffs recruitment of freshman in his opinion vs the pro/con of getting transfer guys. It’s interesting. No one really knows the best strategy right now but our staff appears to be leaning transfer portal.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I highly suggest everyone listen to Eric’s Twitter spaces from last night. A great window into the thought process of the staff on recruiting.

Also mentioned we don’t really lead for the ‘24s. The way things went with Bates has caused some pause in the staffs recruitment of freshman in his opinion vs the pro/con of getting transfer guys. It’s interesting. No one really knows the best strategy right now but our staff appears to be leaning transfer portal.

Quite interesting thoughts.  As has been said by others, if you're a HS recruit and think you want to commit it might be smart to make your decision rather than playing the "string things out" game.  It may not apply to top-20 recruits, but 4 stars ranked outside the top 50 might want to think about it.

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Eric from Hoosier Hysterics talked about a recruit in the past 1.5 years that commited while on visit and the parents too but then went on other visits and didn’t come to IU.  I think he referenced this story as a direct connection to Ware.  So you can easily read between those lines. 

anyway, care to speculate who said recruit was?

my guess is Noah Clowney. 

Probably Clowney if they are talking high school kid.   Dennis if you they are talking portal recruit.    They were really confident in getting him until Pack got his money and then that recruitment changed quickly 

1 hour ago, 94Bulldog said:

Not being argumentative, but I don’t think so….I mean he closed JHS and Malik.  Tipton I’m guessing isn’t hired by the schools. They have their own marketing dept for those things.   Your suggestions sound like a hard close.  Being in sales for 25 years, I’ve been far more successful with the opposite approach.  

Also as someone that runs a sales team, I have sales people that are always excited to celebrate the conversation, the expressed interest and then I have some that celebrate the close.

more just throwing that out about our staff as a conversation, I have no idea if they are the former or the later but as you likely agree, that later group is smaller yet accounts for the lions share of the success.

34 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m all for it. Without having to sit a year the portal will be more reliable by far. 

2 hours ago, 94Bulldog said:

Not being argumentative, but I don’t think so….I mean he closed JHS and Malik.  Tipton I’m guessing isn’t hired by the schools. They have their own marketing dept for those things.   Your suggestions sound like a hard close.  Being in sales for 25 years, I’ve been far more successful with the opposite approach.  

I agree with 94B.  Marketing an intangible is different from marketing a product that is in a box.  A soft and genuine pitch and follow through is paramount.  One has to show that the buyer's best interest is paramount. What do they want?  Can we and will we make that available and help them.  Present that.  Listen with the intent to understand. This does not mean that the sales effort is disorganized.  On the contrary, it has to be well orchestrated and specific.

A hard close, to me, implies that the seller's needs outweigh the buyer's needs.  The buyer is usually aware of that perspective.  It's a bum rush.

But different young adults will have different motivations that require different approaches. if the buyer is confused...clarify the points both good and bad.   Ascertain who is going to make the decision or lead the decision making of the buyer.  Target market that.  

One point is true, whether tangible (like a car) or delayed intangible (like a service or scholarship)...if you don't ask, you don't get.

If the young adult has it in his mind to walk away and think about it, it is a delayed, delayed intangible.  That is a toughie.  A continuing helpful relationship and personal contact usually is the ticket.  But old habits and old ways are hard to break.  Comfort areas are hard to pierce. Especially if the prospect walks away.

But if the person wants to just get it done.  Sign him up.

Indiana is a hard sell if one comes from either coast. The expansion of the B1G to the coasts just may help that a little.  Woody and Ya and Schifino and Anunoby and TJD sure help there.  Fans that think that Indiana stands head and shoulders above the crowd of universities chasing these prospects are deluded. That is part of the reason why having a great basketball coach and staff are so very important.   And that is coming from an IU grad that married an IU grad.  

15 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Fans that think that Indiana stands head and shoulders above the crowd of universities chasing these prospects are deluded

Absolutely. As an IU grad living on the East Coast, I hear basketball fans laugh at the suggestion that Indiana University is "blue blood." For them, Indiana basketball has been irrelevant since the 1980s.

Is Essegian to IU still a thing? Athletically is he the type of player IU is looking for? His shooting numbers are pretty decent which combined that with 3 years of eligibility and being from Indiana, I can see the appeal

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

The time investment in high school recruits is absurd compared to recruiting the portal. Given his coaching background, I could see CMW liking the portal option much better. It has that NBA free agency feel all over it. The upside is experience, maturity, performance record, and greatly reduced time expenditure. From a coaches viewpoint, what's not to like.

I guess as long as we bring in ~2 HS kids a year who will stick around a while so we have some form of a core from year to year, I don't hate it... Gotta adapt to survive in the modern era of college basketball. Going to be pretty tough to build a program/culture with any real continuity taking a portal first approach though, I'd think. Hope we can make it work each season