Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs SDSU 11/30 @ 4 pm BTN+

We havent seen a healthy Phinisee in a long time which is why Ive said we needed to keep recruiting guards. Carton is looking like a bigger miss than Brooks right now.

Agree. Carton didn’t vibe with our players for whatever reason. (Or vibed with OSU players better). Brooks made a bad decision imo although he, Smith, and Hunter all play the same position. Plus, I’m not sure the expectations of his family fit what’s best for IUBB. He’s not getting that at UK either.

Oscar Tscheibwe is a man child. It was never going to be but he would have been a nice addition.

Any other important “misses” to reminisce about?

Short shorts Quinones. Eh, he’s ok. Probably will be good down the line.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree. Carton didn’t vibe with our players for whatever reason. (Or vibed with OSU players better). Brooks made a bad decision imo although he, Smith, and Hunter all play the same position. Plus, I’m not sure the expectations of his family fit what’s best for IUBB. He’s not getting that at UK either.

Oscar Tscheibwe is a man child. It was never going to be but he would have been a nice addition.

Terry was one of my favorites to watch and he was interesting to follow once we offered. He is having a fantastic freshman year at Stanford

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This is why I’ve stressed the importance of having a second true point guard on the roster, others have dismissed it saying we have other combo guards that can fill in. Problem is, when Phinisee isn’t healthy, they aren’t just filling in anymore.

IU is missing a healthy Phinisee a ton. The keyword is healthy. He wasn’t fully healthy even when he was playing. He missed almost all of October practices. You don’t just walk on the court after missing a month of practice and look 100%. 

There are things a player can do whether healthy or not. He was healthy enough to play great on-ball defense but not healthy enough to play good offense? You can still make good decisions.

Getting a second "true" point guard is easier said than done. Archie has tried to recruit other point guards but hasn't been able to land one despite genuine efforts. I don't believe any posters here indicated it was a bad idea to recruit another point guard.  

Phinisee has a mild concussion. Seeing him at games in the lights and noise is certainly a good sign. He wasn’t able to practice in October due to the abdominal injury.

Yes, he seems fragile now, but some players who seemingly can’t stay in the court/field flip that script.

i remember football running back “Fragile Fred Taylor”, who earned that nickname by barely seeing the field for three straight seasons early in his NFL career, and then went seven straight years barely missing a game.

18 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

There are things a player can do whether healthy or not. He was healthy enough to play great on-ball defense but not healthy enough to play good offense? You can still make good decisions.

It’s not about the decisions, it’s about rust and health. When you haven’t practiced in a month, missed the scrimmage, missed both exhibitions, and the first game or two you’re going to be really rusty. 

That rust is going to impact things such as timing, speed of the game, etc. Passes you think should be there, you might have the timing off on. This happens all of the time when people miss considerable time. 

What seems more likely? Phinisee was rusty from missing a month+, or Phinisee randomly, despite working hard all summer, just out of the blue got worse?

Getting a second "true" point guard is easier said than done. Archie has tried to recruit other point guards but hasn't been able to land one despite genuine efforts. I don't believe any posters here indicated it was a bad idea to recruit another point guard.  

Hmm, yes I don’t recall any saying we shouldn’t recruit one but I do recall many saying it wasn’t a necessity nor a big deal we were striking out on them.

So the net net is that many didn’t think it was important. I am lazy to find it but my response was that we were a Phinisee injury away from missing the tourney again.

The last part is certainly tbd but it’s a real issue. What’s also an issue is that Archie is a point guard, this should be point guard U but we have an injury ridden 4 star pg as our only true option there.

As others have pointed out, others are playing out of position because of it

It’s not about the decisions, it’s about rust and health. When you haven’t practiced in a month, missed the scrimmage, missed both exhibitions, and the first game or two you’re going to be really rusty. 
That rust is going to impact things such as timing, speed of the game, etc. Passes you think should be there, you might have the timing off on. This happens all of the time when people miss considerable time. 
What seems more likely? Phinisee was rusty from missing a month+, or Phinisee randomly, despite working hard all summer, just out of the blue got worse?

Or maybe Phinisee wasn’t actually that great but looked it compared to the options we had? I would say it’s somewhere in the middle of those two.

I confess I don't read all the posts, but I don't remember anyone writing that having another quality point guard wasn't necessary or was unimportant. In fact, I can't imagine that IU fans wrote that it is unimportant to have quality back up players at all positions, including point guard. Some may have written that it will be difficult to attract a top point guard capable of starting if necessary when the team had a starting point guard returning as a sophomore. Most 4 and 5 star players want to go somewhere where they will play and hopefully start right away. Some may have written that recruiting a shooter should be a top priority given how poorly IU shot from 3-point range last year.  It seems you are trying to take credit for being right when nobody really disagreed with the premise, i.e., we need multiple good players at all positions including point guard. I could be wrong. Perhaps, some posted that having another quality point guard is not important to the program's success. As I say, I haven't read all posts. It just seems improbable.

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I confess I don't read all the posts, but I don't remember anyone writing that having another quality point guard wasn't necessary or was unimportant. In fact, I can't imagine that IU fans wrote that it is unimportant to have quality back up players at all positions, including point guard. Some may have written that it will be difficult to attract a top point guard capable of starting if necessary when the team had a starting point guard returning as a sophomore. Most 4 and 5 star players want to go somewhere where they will play and hopefully start right away. Some may have written that recruiting a shooter should be a top priority given how poorly IU shot from 3-point range last year.  It seems you are trying to take credit for being right when nobody really disagreed with the premise, i.e., we need multiple good players at all positions including point guard. I could be wrong. Perhaps, some posted that having another quality point guard is not important to the program's success. As I say, I haven't read all posts. It just seems improbable.

Plenty were very happy with our guard situation and didnt want to recruit over Phinisee.

17 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Phinisee has a mild concussion. Seeing him at games in the lights and noise is certainly a good sign. He wasn’t able to practice in October due to the abdominal injury.

Yes, he seems fragile now, but some players who seemingly can’t stay in the court/field flip that script.

i remember football running back “Fragile Fred Taylor”, who earned that nickname by barely seeing the field for three straight seasons early in his NFL career, and then went seven straight years barely missing a game.

Has it been announced that Rob had another concussion, or is that just speculation? Haven’t followed, so ask is genuine.  Also, does IU employ extra conservative concussion protocol due to past football concerns under Wilson? Last year it seemed to be a hold out for about six weeks - not medical professional, so not certain if that’s unusual or depends on degree of head injury.  Seems some NFL guys get their bell rung hard, and they are back after a week or so.  Clearly threw off chemistry, broke momentum and had a huge impact during the losing streak.  Hate to see a repeat this year.

22 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Trayce may only be here a year if he keeps putting up a double double every night. The competition will stiffen though.

We really need at least two years from TJD if we are going to build some momentum and continuity. Unless he can be replaced with another one or two year big for next season, his loss would be disastrous for our climb toward national relevance. That scenario might be where losing Garcia would hurt the most.

28 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Trayce may only be here a year if he keeps putting up a double double every night. The competition will stiffen though.

I'm wondering how much that will matter. If I'm an NBA exec I see a high potential player performing well. I'd want to get him into my organizations immediately with a late first round pick.