Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

To quote the great Ricky Bobby “if you’re not first you’re last”. Doesn’t bother me at all he said we finished third or wherever. He chose Vandy for reasons he thought was best for him, good for him. We didn’t get him now on to the next. Once Archie gets 1-2 of his classes here I️ think we’re going to start seeing quick improvements. Noting against Creans guys but they’ve had 3-4 years of bad non fundamental basketball pounded in to them. IUs outlook for the future is still very bright in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I️ hope we get a chance to play Vandy two years from now, and RP wipes the floor with Garland.

I️ have nothing against DG but I’m not gonna watch his games and root for him really. A lot of guys on the board are saying they wish Garland the best, they’ll root for him, and things of that matter, but I’m in the group probably that just doesn’t mind him. Good for him for finding his school, if he plays well, good for him, but I️ won’t be rooting for or against him at this point. Just another player in the way of our Hoosiers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 hours ago, cljones1979 said:

We have a very good PG coming next year that came from purdue's back yard. And you know what......he really wants to play FOR indiana and that means a lot to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm excited for Phinisee, He's gonna have a chip on his shoulder after all the clamoring over Garland. I think he's gonna be great.

He'll know he made the wrong choice when Vanderbilt loses at home in front of 7,000 fans and he goes home and sees IU taking down a highly ranked team on Sports Center.

Do they even draw 7000

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, cljones1979 said:

We have a very good PG coming next year that came from purdue's back yard. And you know what......he really wants to play FOR indiana and that means a lot to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BtownBanners mobile app

He's an Indiana kid, he really wanted to play at IU and he's been overlooked,  that's why he's my favorite recruit and I will cheer for him the hardest

1 hour ago, schoosier said:

This recruitment reminds me of the Kyrie Irving recruitment minus getting ••••blocked by your own assistant coach.

Yeah by all accounts Crean thought he had Kyrie locked up.  Archie probably knew for a while though that Garland wasn't coming. 

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Drew;

I am a big fan of your posting and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if there's one thing to learn with absolute certainty from the first few games of the Archie Miller era, it is that the kids who exhibit metal toughness and focus will play, and play a lot.

See: Durham, Al. (versus Curtis Jones and DeVonte Green).

That, and that Archie Miller recruits with a huge focus on kids that he thinks will be able to exhibit that toughness. Archie thinks that Rob Phinisee is an Archie Miller player.

If RP shows that focus and toughness, he will play.

Immediately.

A lot.

..and boy, am I looking forward to a roster full of those tough, hard-nosed kids that fit Archie’s criteria. Archie hit the nail on the head when he commented after the Indiana State game that the team is “soft”. Although I appreciate everyone IU has on its roster and will always root them on, it’s definitely the truth. Crean recruited and coached teams that were “let’s just try to win games by outscoring the opponent”, while Archie’s mindset is “let’s prevent teams from scoring as much as we do”. The current roster just isn’t used to knowing how to do that, and Archie knows it. Crean’s philosophy backfired hardcore if the team wasn’t hitting their shots. That screenshot of the IU bench after the Howard game told a tale, which I hope is one way rather than the other. I’m hoping it was the players being down in the dumps that they know they can and should do better, rather than thinking “wow, I don’t want to have to play this way.”

Drew;
I am a big fan of your posting and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if there's one thing to learn with absolute certainty from the first few games of the Archie Miller era, it is that the kids who exhibit metal toughness and focus will play, and play a lot.
See: Durham, Al. (versus Curtis Jones and DeVonte Green).
That, and that Archie Miller recruits with a huge focus on kids that he thinks will be able to exhibit that toughness. Archie thinks that Rob Phinisee is an Archie Miller player.
If RP shows that focus and toughness, he will play.
Immediately.
A lot.

I like this a lot, Stu.

Sometimes we get caught up in skill sets, athletic ability, God-given talent, etc and forget the intangibles.

Players' mentalities are going to be more heavily weighted and rewarded during CAM's era.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

26 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I like this a lot, Stu.

Sometimes we get caught up in skill sets, athletic ability, God-given talent, etc and forget the intangibles.

Players' mentalities are going to be more heavily weighted and rewarded during CAM's era.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

As it should he! I feel like order is being restored in the IU basketball world.