Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

Hemenway is a better shooter. Probably measurably in my opinion.

Yeah, probably and less at everything else. I don’t like it much. I think u definitely use 13. I think backup 5 is most important right now. After that. I guess, maybe, it’s whatever. Would prefer size.

Leal, Cupps, And hopefully Newton provide guard depth. I see Tucker and Goode more as guards then bigs as well.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think it gets real tricky at this point. We are either signing someone who will likely have a limited role or pushing someone we have already signed into a limited role if we are talking a wing or guard. Now if we are adding a center, then there are clearly minutes and a definite role available.

Obviously we are looking for a backup 5 and Nicky K is a target.  If we don't land him, we at least know the type of 5 they are looking for to backup Ballo.

So if they use the 13th scholarship, what would they look for?

-- we know that Alex Hemenway had told peegs.com that he would be interested in IU.  That was before Goode official signed which could change his thoughts on that.  Not sure of the fit minute wise, but he can flat out shoot it.

-- do you look for a uncommitted freshman project and if so, think about redshirting?

-- do you look for more frontcourt depth?

11 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

Don't leave the 13th scholarship open. Sign Nikita K and Hemenway and let the competition begin.

Hemenway might have changed his mind since Goode signed.  I really like Hemenway, but that would then be seven guards on the roster -- and that's assuming Tucker is considered a SF.

Maybe considering the success that the staff has had with bigs you look for a reclamation project big with a high ceiling and multiple years of eligibility and looking forward to 2025-26 and beyond.

7 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

FWIW, Hemenway is an Indiana kid that can also flat out shoot the ball.  43% from three for his career at Clemson, 124 of 289.

It seems that the model of bringing in freshman to be your 12th or 13th guys is going to mostly go by the wayside in college basketball.  Odds of a team developing a kid and then him sticking around long enough to see the fruits of your labor simply aren't great.  Might be entering the days where if a kid can't immediately be in the rotation, they are going to have to play down a level (mid major instead of high, lower major instead of mid, D2 instead of low major).

Perhaps!  It’s a new era of CBB.  NIL and transfer portal have caused this!  Good, bad or indifferent, this is today’s CBB

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Illinois screwed that up.  He was hurt until mid February in his sophomore year and then they played him the last 10 games.  Blew a year and f eligibility for 115 minutes on the court.  

Wow, stupid and selfish decision on Illinois part.  Was not looking out for the players well being, IMO

Honestly don’t think there’s any question staff is looking to add a backup big- and that’s the only real need at this point.

Def use the remaining scholarship spot. Falls into the category of fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

17 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Gotta be honest I don’t understand this one.  Leal can offer whatever we think we’d use Hemenway for. 

oh.....no no no no no he doesn't.  Hemenway is a career 43% three point shooter who has taken a significant number of them. 

I assume that we are bringing in a backup 5 for the 12th scholarship.  If Hemenway is here, he's not #13 on the team.  He's ahead of Leal, Newton, and Cupps.  But that would make the roster reallllyyyy guard heavy and you would have to play three guards a pretty significant amount of time.  But Hemenway is a really, really good shooter.  Don't see that it would make sense for him unless he simply wants to end his career in his home state in an IU uniform.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

In a perfect world we’re looking at a grown man big for the 12th spot and a developmental big for the 13th spot. A little late for a high ceiling developmental get though 

We probably don’t have enough minutes to offer compared to other teams, but I’d be interested in Ugonna Onyenso. Rim protector potential with NBA aspirations. Woody has a demonstrable track record with bigs. Let him practice every day against Ballo and hopefully develop the rest of his game. 

2 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

We probably don’t have enough minutes to offer compared to other teams, but I’d be interested in Ugonna Onyenso. Rim protector potential with NBA aspirations. Woody has a demonstrable track record with bigs. Let him practice every day against Ballo and hopefully develop the rest of his game. 

That’d be great, but a guy like that wants a bigger role I suspect.

16 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Per Robjohns, Alex Hemenway has been talking with IU staff about a visit.  Never thought I say that we might be getting too deep, LOL.

Haven't heard an update on the Monmouth big, but seems like IU is looking to get a backup 5 while still considering other options for the 13th spot.

Be careful what us fans have asked for.  We all were pretty irate about Woodson leaving a scholarship open.