Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 minute ago, cleeter said:

In a perfect world, Woody and Co. do good enough in the portal to have Gallo, Leal, newbies Leland Walker and Essegian all coming off the bench. That would be a good sign obviously, but i feel i am asking too much here. 

Need to find a starting and backup point guard. Me personally...

PG- Transfer

SG- Leal

SF- Gallo

PF- Mgbako

C- Reneau

Backup PG

Essegian

Backup wing

Backup F/C

I don't want to hear anything Newton. I'm not trusting that. Woody shouldn't be stupid enough to trust that, but clearly he was with X sooo...

9 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Need to find a starting and backup point guard. Me personally...

PG- Transfer

SG- Leal

SF- Gallo

PF- Mgbako

C- Reneau

Backup PG

Essegian

Backup wing

Backup F/C

I don't want to hear anything Newton. I'm not trusting that. Woody shouldn't be stupid enough to trust that, but clearly he was with X sooo...

The bold is ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with trusting XJ's health, other than the fact it's just STUPID to leave a scholly open. Newton's progress, and the trust the staff/trainers have in him have NOTHING to do with anything we allegedly know about the situation, and my goodness it has NOTHING to do with XJ.

And rolling with Leal as a starting SG is something. 

8 minutes ago, cleeter said:

In a perfect world, Woody and Co. do good enough in the portal to have Gallo, Leal, newbies Leland Walker and Essegian all coming off the bench. That would be a good sign obviously, but i feel i am asking too much here. 

That seems realistic? That Galloway and Walker both wouldn't start? 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Don't often agree with LCS, but I'm with him on Newton.  Reports are good and brief clips look good, but I hope we're not putting all our eggs in Jakai's basket.   He's a great kid and could be exactly the type of player we need on the court but he's coming back from a serious injury and surgery and that's very worrisome to me.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The bold is ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with trusting XJ's health, other than the fact it's just STUPID to leave a scholly open. Newton's progress, and the trust the staff has in him/trainers have in him has NOTHING to do with anything we allegedly know about the situation, and my goodness it has NOTHING to do with XJ.

And rolling with Leal as a starting SG is something. 

Yea we as fans should totally trust the staff that said we shouldn't worry about Xs injury history. That we shouldn't totally trust in the improvements of CJ Gunn. So now let's trust in their assessment of Jakai Newton who is the combination of X/Gunn. It's genius really. Just blind faith for no reason at all.

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Don't often agree with LCS, but I'm with him on Newton.  Reports are good and brief clips look good, but I hope we're not putting all our eggs in Jakai's basket.   He's a great kid and could be exactly the type of player we need on the court but he's coming back from a serious injury and surgery and that's very worrisome to me.

If he proves himself to be ready or already has proven that... there's no reason not to count on a scholly player to play for you. 

Yea we as fans should totally trust the staff that said we shouldn't worry about Xs injury history. That we shouldn't totally trust in the improvements of CJ Gunn. So now let's trust in their assessment of Jakai Newton who is the combination of X/Gunn. It's genius really. Just blind faith for no reason at all.

Your complaints don't make sense. It doesn't f'ing matter whether we "trust it" or not lol.. we don't get a vote. 

Comparing the two situations is the confusing part. There was nothing wrong with rolling with XJ.. the issue was leaving a scholly open, and yes relying on Gunn/Banks/Cupps for major mins. 

XJ was basically healthy his first 4 years in college. sooooo 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That seems realistic? That Galloway and Walker both wouldn't start? 

Hence the "perfect world" part. If somehow they hit in the portal and both are coming off the bench, then we would be in a good spot. But i would say that if Walker and Gallo are starting, missing the BTT is more likely than making the list of 68 teams to me. 

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

5-0 with Lesl playing 20+ this year. What up?

image.gif.f25f2af2abc7583a2a02f4ecf6e2831d.gif

haha, i mean numbers dont lie....BROTHER! So when i say this, i am going off my assumptions and my assumptions say that if we have to rely on those two for 25+ games....we will need to do more than say our prayers and take our vitamins ha

5-0 with Lesl playing 20+ this year. What up?

image.gif.f25f2af2abc7583a2a02f4ecf6e2831d.gif

100% fine with him being the 9th-10th guy. 

I don't think I see the need for Essigan, though. Especially if MM is here. 

Conwell, Hickman I hope get in the portal and they'd be instantly higher on my list than CE.

35 minutes ago, cleeter said:

haha, i mean numbers dont lie....BROTHER! So when i say this, i am going off my assumptions and my assumptions say that if we have to rely on those two for 25+ games....we will need to do more than say our prayers and take our vitamins ha

I don't think you necessarily have to rely on Leal. But he's a dude that doesn't need the ball to be effective and he seemed to be about the only guy who understood what basketball was most of the year when he got to play big minutes. But those 5 games were also some of the best basketball the team played all year, all B1G games. So if this staff gives him the green light to fire away... I think he becomes a good piece to sit alongside a non shooter like Galloway(who should be playing the Troy Williams role as a playmaker off slashing and some 1v1) and a post piece like Reneau. Leal and Mgbako would be two 3pt threats. And I'd like to have a guy with Leals attitude and passion starting. I know no one else on the board sees it, but I believe we would be fine with Leal starting and playing 23 minutes. Especially if we are able to get any sort of productive transfers on the bench.

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don't think you necessarily have to rely on Leal. But he's a dude that doesn't need the ball to be effective and he seemed to be about the only guy who understood what basketball was most of the year when he got to play big minutes. But those 5 games were also some of the best basketball the team played all year, all B1G games. So if this staff gives him the green light to fire away... I think he becomes a good piece to sit alongside a non shooter like Galloway(who should be playing the Troy Williams role as a playmaker off slashing and some 1v1) and a post piece like Reneau. Leal and Mgbako would be two 3pt threats. And I'd like to have a guy with Leals attitude and passion starting. I know no one else on the board sees it, but I believe we would be fine with Leal starting and playing 23 minutes. Especially if we are able to get any sort of productive transfers on the bench.

man he TOOK 19 3s all year long... he should never be starting. He should have ALWAYS been playing ahead of Haircut Gunn, but he isn't a starter on a successful, tourney-bound (god is that seriously our benchmark) team. 

On 3/19/2024 at 1:13 PM, ISP said:

Yes, the text I received said to not believe that article. The person actually texted me due to that article coming out.  He had to say that because the season is not over and Conor knows that he would get 0 minutes if it was known he was leaning towards transferring. 

For full transparency, here is the text I received from someone close to the kid/family. This person wants him to end up at IU. 

https://imgur.com/a/rAEAAnS

Okay ISP, we need an update.  I believe that you said that Essegian likes IU, but Butler and Notre Dame were more likely.  Is that still the case?  I would assume that he's looking for playing time and a promise of at least a rotational role.  

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think the staff is going for Thornton.  Wonder if he'll leave now that they've turned the corner.  

If you were Thornton, would you leave OSU for IU?