Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

After last year, we should have learned to never bank a scholly. Never. It’s like self penalizing your team, fans, and alumni because you don’t understand attrition or injuries. Reward a walk-on or find a Hyper stud but please use it. I shouldn’t even be saying this if we ever hope to win big again.

14 minutes ago, schoosier said:

After last year, we should have learned to never bank a scholly. Never. It’s like self penalizing your team, fans, and alumni because you don’t understand attrition or injuries. Reward a walk-on or find a Hyper stud but please use it. I shouldn’t even be saying this if we ever hope to win big again.

How would giving a walk on a scholarship help anything?  They are already on the roster.

44 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Rewarding a multi-year hard worker.

Setting the possibility that a walk-on can earn a scholarship, which can attract higher-level walk-ons.

Waste of resources, IMO.  Take a flyer on someone worthy of a scholarship if they pan out and put them on scholly.  Our three walk-ons played a grand total of four minutes last year.  

There are a huge number of issues to take into consideration when awarding a 'last' scholarship for basketball.  Some are compelling.  It is kind of eye opening to attempt to think about it from the perspectives of the coach, staff, compliance, recruit, walk on, fan, donor, media...

If the Student Bill of Rights is always to be considered...then a multi-year eligible player is promised a multi-year scholarship, right?

Grades and turnover...compliance with the APR...

A really good player leaves a program because of a last second coaching change and is interested and a fit...

Someone on our team leaves unexpectedly...

Just fill the position with a bench sitter or cannon fodder..I actually do not like this.

Mark Cuban's long-lost son who kind of plays some basketball....now we're talkin'!

51 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

There are a huge number of issues to take into consideration when awarding a 'last' scholarship for basketball.  Some are compelling.  It is kind of eye opening to attempt to think about it from the perspectives of the coach, staff, compliance, recruit, walk on, fan, donor, media...

If the Student Bill of Rights is always to be considered...then a multi-year eligible player is promised a multi-year scholarship, right?

A really good player leaves a program because of a last second coaching change and is interested and a fit...

Just fill the position with a bench sitter or cannon fodder..I actually do not like this.

Mark Cuban's long-lost son who kind of plays some basketball....now we're talkin'!

Yes fair, but also while balancing the need for depth when the seemingly inevitable injuries sideline key players. Last year the team was always short. This year front court depth is limited. Were Ballo to get injured the outlook changes. Don’t need or want a Priller type, but an athlete with upside? Yes

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Yes fair, but also while balancing the need for depth when the seemingly inevitable injuries sideline key players. Last year the team was always short. This year front court depth is limited. Were Ballo to get injured the outlook changes. Don’t need or want a Priller type, but an athlete with upside? Yes

Yes, there is that.  Goes without saying. I tried to imply that in my post this morning.

There is a catch, however.

Show us the player that you have in mind that is an athlete with upside and wants to come to IU.

Hatton is a perfect example of that.  

Now, do it again?    Heck, a wing...even.  How about a sharpshooter that also is quick on both offense and defense?  

Looks around...just filling the position is not the way.  Waiting to catch lightening in a bottle...not sure about that.  Tis a conundrum. 

I'd wait.  But not without starters and backups already signed.  

8 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Does the student bill of rights guaranteed scholarship also guarantee a roster spot?  I don’t think it does. 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Does the student bill of rights guaranteed scholarship also guarantee a roster spot?  I don’t think it does. 

As I understand it, the Student Bill of Rights does not guarantee a spot on the team... just 4 years of education opportunity.

7 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Yes, there is that.  Goes without saying. I tried to imply that in my post this morning.

Show us the player that you have in mind that is an athlete with upside and wants to come to IU.

Now, do it again?    Heck, a wing...even.  How about a sharpshooter that also is quick on both offense and defense?  

Looks around...just filling the position is not the way.  Waiting to catch lightening in a bottle...not sure about that.  Tis a conundrum. 

The school is worth 4B.. I can't care about about a few schollies. 

If that's a part of the equation.. LAME 

8 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I understand where you’re coming from. I just think that in today’s game every year matters, and you can’t have a team that is exposed badly by 1 or 2 injuries. That falls on the staff. They need to do their due diligence and fill the gaps so we’re prepared for the inevitable injuries 

On 5/18/2024 at 5:56 PM, Stuhoo said:

Rewarding a multi-year hard worker.

Setting the possibility that a walk-on can earn a scholarship, which can attract higher-level walk-ons.

Only if that walk on has a 40 inch vert, 6’10” wingspan, shoots 38% from 3 and 85 from the line and is a lockdown defender.

On 5/18/2024 at 6:50 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Waste of resources, IMO.  Take a flyer on someone worthy of a scholarship if they pan out and put them on scholly.  Our three walk-ons played a grand total of four minutes last year.  

Practice bodies are why walk-ons exist not game time. And not walk-ons’ fault that we couldn’t blow any team out last year.

1 hour ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

Practice bodies are why walk-ons exist not game time. And not walk-ons’ fault that we couldn’t blow any team out last year.

I didn't blame the walk ons for anything.  But if IU had spent a scholly on an extra point guard last year -- even if it was on a flyer that didn't pan out -- that was a better strategy than giving a walk on a scholarship.  

Since players can free transfer, the worst case scenario IMO would be to look to put a player transferring who has one year left a scholarship even if it was for nothing for more than an emergency guy.

Even a guy like Zach Loveday from Samford is a better option than giving a walk on a scholly IMO.  Loveday has spent four years as a deep backup option -- three at Baylor, one at Samford -- but at the minimum, you could put him in a game to absorb some fouls as a big in an emergency if there are foul problems or injuries in the post.  Don't mistake that for saying I want Loveday as an option, just that he makes more sense than giving a walk on an scholly.

38 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I didn't blame the walk ons for anything.  But if IU had spent a scholly on an extra point guard last year -- even if it was on a flyer that didn't pan out -- that was a better strategy than giving a walk on a scholarship.  

Since players can free transfer, the worst case scenario IMO would be to look to put a player transferring who has one year left a scholarship even if it was for nothing for more than an emergency guy.

Even a guy like Zach Loveday from Samford is a better option than giving a walk on a scholly IMO.  Loveday has spent four years as a deep backup option -- three at Baylor, one at Samford -- but at the minimum, you could put him in a game to absorb some fouls as a big in an emergency if there are foul problems or injuries in the post.  Don't mistake that for saying I want Loveday as an option, just that he makes more sense than giving a walk on an scholly.

100%

On 5/19/2024 at 5:12 PM, AZ Hoosier said:

As I understand it, the Student Bill of Rights does not guarantee a spot on the team... just 4 years of education opportunity.

How many Hyper legends wouldn’t want that? Free education for making the team one year. Compared to millions for another player for the same commitment.