Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

I am ready to get some of these visits in motion so we can start seeing a potential full roster.  To me it seems like we are in a very good spot for both Rice and Conwell based on what has been said.  

12 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I am ready to get some of these visits in motion so we can start seeing a potential full roster.  To me it seems like we are in a very good spot for both Rice and Conwell based on what has been said.  

What has been said?

just reading between the lines - Rice has no other visits lined up(been in the portal for awhile now), we are his first visit(reminds me of Ware and how his situation played out), rabby continuously talking/tweeting about Rice since he entered the portal.  Similar for Conwell, rabby and lots of IU accounts with connections saying IU was one of the first if not the first official team to speak with conwell the moment he entered, from Indy and parents like IU.  We have Conwells attention from what I have read

A guard rotation of 

• Myles Rice (sophomore)
  • Ryan Conwell (junior)
  • Trey Galloway (super senior)

with

• Jakai Newton (red shirt freshman) as a wildcard
  • Gabe Cupps (sophomore) as a developing bench piece
  • Anthony Leal (super senior) as a steadying veteran option

Sounds really really good to me. I hope this is exactly what we are presented with. Would be hard not to be optimistic about that upgrade.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

A guard rotation of 

• Myles Rice (sophomore)
  • Ryan Conwell (junior)

with

Sounds really really good to me. I hope this is exactly what we are presented with. Would be hard not to be optimistic about that upgrade.

What happened to Walker?  Is he no longer considered?

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

A guard rotation of 

• Myles Rice (sophomore)
  • Ryan Conwell (junior)

with

Not saying that Walker, Perkins, or Carlyle wouldn't be good gets too; they would.

Just saying that Rice and Conwell, paired with Gallo, would be pretty optimum. Can I add Hickman as a swingman/catch and shoot guy? That's an A+ portal haul.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not saying that Walker, Perkins, or Carlyle wouldn't be good gets too; they would.

Just saying that Rice and Conwell, paired with Gallo, would be pretty optimum. Can I add Hickman as a swingman/catch and shoot guy? That's an A+ portal haul.

Rice, Conwell and Hickman would be a home run, and at least signal possible structural changes to the offense. Still interested to see who gets added as a big. I will be interested to see if Rice takes a look at his hometown school since USCe has had quite the resurgence, I live here but you do not hear much about NIL as it relates to basketball for the gamecocks.  

4 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Rice, Conwell and Hickman would be a home run, and at least signal possible structural changes to the offense. Still interested to see who gets added as a big. I will be interested to see if Rice takes a look at his hometown school since USCe has had quite the resurgence, I live here but you do not hear much about NIL as it relates to basketball for the gamecocks.  

If we can pick up scorers like Rice, Hickman, and Conwell? Give me Payne as our primary big pickup; with those guard additions we will need physicality and motor from our bigs more than offense skill. 

The next two weeks are going to be pretty interesting.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If we can pick up scorers like Rice, Hickman, and Conwell? Give me Payne as our primary big pickup; with those guard additions we will need physicality and motor from our bigs more than offense skill. 

The next two weeks are going to be pretty interesting.

If Payne is willing to come here as a 6th/7th guy... lord that is perfect. 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If Payne is willing to come here as a 6th/7th guy... lord that is perfect. 

That would be a huge pickup if he is willing to take on that role, and start to sure up the glimmer of opening the offense up instead of the two center lineups. 

5 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

That would be a huge pickup if he is willing to take on that role, and start to sure up the glimmer of opening the offense up instead of the two center lineups. 

I think the "two center" thing is overblown, but he compliments Malik really well, regardless of them staggering their starts together. Personally, I think he could easily get 24-28MPG off the bench with who else is on the roster, currently. 

Oreb and block rate are VERY good for 23MPG. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Is anyone worried that were only targeting like 12 guys again this year and we need to land half of them to fill the 6 spots? If we fill all 6 which I'm told is unlikely. 

Also, I wonder if it is an IU thing that we have all the players we're interested in making a visit before having them commit. Other programs are getting commitments right now without a kid ever visiting. But at IU we always set up a visit first. I don't need Conwell or Hickman to visit to know that I want them. 

Just my Wednesday morning ponders

It does make you wonder what takes IU so long to get commitments. Are they waiting for some other big name they have heard MIGHT go into the portal? I don't think so. You would think with those players from Indiana a commitment would already be announced. I have never thought all 6 spots would be filled. How many of the walk-ons are returning? IU needs a PG, a couple of SG and a C or two ... I don't see them filling all of those spots. BUT I am confused about this as always, after all, until I saw a school bus drive by my window, I thought today was Sunday.  LOL

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Is anyone worried that were only targeting like 12 guys again this year and we need to land half of them to fill the 6 spots? If we fill all 6 which I'm told is unlikely. 

Also, I wonder if it is an IU thing that we have all the players we're interested in making a visit before having them commit. Other programs are getting commitments right now without a kid ever visiting. But at IU we always set up a visit first. I don't need Conwell or Hickman to visit to know that I want them. 

Just my Wednesday morning ponders

All valid concerns - The proof will be in the pudding:

• I'm not sure there have been other programs with multiple portal pickups which haven't visited, or for that matter that there are even any programs with multiple quality pickups so far.
  • We need six more. If we leave one slot empty or fill it with a project player such as Diamint Blazi or a late foreign pickup that's fine by me. 
  • It feels like we've reached out to many dozens, but are focused on 10-15 priority guys. That's about how it should work - everyone can't be a priority and everyone can't be made to feel as though they're a priority. 

So, this all seems well and good so far. BUT, if it is April 25th and we're still basically shut out on players that appeared to be priorities? Ruh-roh.

Hard to criticize and too soon to criticize when we have some incredibly good fits teed up. Now...close.

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think the "two center" thing is overblown

Seems to me a Center needs a Center to at least practice against. Yet 7'1 Ware practicing against 6'8 or 6'9 Sparks evidently worked out okay.

The staff or Woodson did close on the players we got in the last three years but damn they missed on a lot of them. I KNOW you can't sign everybody but it sure feels they have missed on more players they wanted then the players they got. It is not teams getting multiple players so far, it is those that played in the tournament that have already announced a commitment, P5 schools.

4 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

Seems to me a Center needs a Center to at least practice against. Yet 7'1 Ware practicing against 6'8 or 6'9 Sparks evidently worked out okay.

I'm not going to get into some massive debate on here about the offensive style/whatever.... 

I thought there were MUCH bigger issues as a team and specifically offensively, then the fact we played Malik and Kel'el together so much. 

Thats my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

All valid concerns - The proof will be in the pudding:

• I'm not sure there have been other programs with multiple portal pickups which haven't visited, or for that matter that there are even any programs with multiple quality pickups so far.
  • We need six more. If we leave one slot empty or fill it with a project player such as Diamint Blazi or a late foreign pickup that's fine by me. 
  • It feels like we've reached out to many dozens, but are focused on 10-15 priority guys. That's about how it should work - everyone can't be a priority and everyone can't be made to feel as though they're a priority. 

So, this all seems well and good so far. BUT, if it is April 25th and we're still basically shut out on players that appeared to be priorities? Ruh-roh.

Hard to criticize and too soon to criticize when we have some incredibly good fits teed up. Now...close.

I don't understand taking someone like Walker and then putting some pressure on some of the other PG's. Only a couple of spots left don't get left out type thing. 

I think based on recruiting and portal of the past it should be easy to criticize and pray for something to work out.