Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

28 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

That's not really the fault of Reneau or the stretch big he was paired with, though. Just a product of Woody's offense. Like it or not (I don't) that's the system. The bigger concern than spacing, for me, in this consideration with Reneau, is rebounding. Rim protection to a lesser degree. Then spacing. Most of this year, we saw the typical bad spacing and clogged lane/post. Toward the end of the year we saw some better action between Ware and Reneau. If that's carried over into next season and Reneau learns how to pass effectively. Reneau also showed he could step outside and get hot... if that part of his game continues progressing this conversation is moot, to a large degree

Wholeheartedly agree Malik would benefit both himself and the team by stepping outside more. 
- creates space, unclogs the lane

- adds some additional outside shooting, can pull his man with him

- would likely lead to more ball movement, he’s more likely to pass outside

- could help p&r and p&p play.

I do think his positioning is 100% on Woodson, the s outdated, ineffective, and just plain stupid play through the post play, but Malik’s tendency to try iso ball (bad memories of Race here) and not look for the pass back out or to the cutter is on him, that’s a needed growth point. He’s certainly capable- and btw he has great footwork and a sweet hook shot, but please move the ball.

5 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

It’s hard for me to get excited with CMW coming back.  My top three are Hickman, Conwell, and Humrichous but at the end of the day it’s still the same staff.

The same staff that didn’t really know what they had in Miller Kopp.  Or guys that went elsewhere and fared better like Franklin at UVA or Bates at Georgia.

Don’t get me wrong, those three I like plus others being talked about are really good players but I think we need bigger fish just because of the ineptitude of this staff.  
I think we would need someone like a Caleb Love or a Hunter Dickinson.  I don’t know if guys like that are in the portal.  Bronny isn’t coming here.  I don’t know why any quality wing would look at us over other schools if they are looking at our offense and want to win and develop.  I hope CMW and company didn’t really think bags of cash would guarantee anything.

Agree that Kopp wasn’t utilized properly. However…

Franklin never played for Woody

Bates went to Missouri, not Georgia, he definitely played better but for a team that didn’t win a single conference game. Not one.

Geronimo also escaped but had an extremely mediocre year at Maryland .

I agree, we need to hit some portal home runs.

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

Why are they wasting time with him then? 

He has four visits scheduled -- St. John's, Creighton, Florida, and Indiana.  I'll go out on a limb and say that there is no way that Creighton could or would ever be able to pony up $700K for him.  Florida?  Maybe, but I think it would be a stretch.  St. John's likely could with their big donor.  So of the four teams, I'd see two that could afford to -- not that they should spend that much.  So there is a good chance IMO that he's not going to get the NIL that he is seeking.  

He's a good player, just don't see the fit at IU.  I have seen some stats that does indicate his value -- he was top 70 nationally in defense and offense rebound rate, block percentage, and free throws taken -- but I keep going back to the fact that he only played 23 minutes per game at Drexel last year, 5 minutes less than the year before.  My gut (don't have stats to back it up) is that the smaller CAA teams put small, faster lineups up and forced him out of the game.  That's worrisome to me.

My gut says he'll end up at St. John's.  Haven't heard much about Omuryi to St. John's lately and Pitino is looking to replace Soriano.

12 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

take and don't think twice.  Start him at the 5 and you've now got yourself a shot blocker and rebounder and Reneau can stay at the 4.

This is a type of player who you throw the bag of money to. JMO

7 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He has four visits scheduled -- St. John's, Creighton, Florida, and Indiana.  I'll go out on a limb and say that there is no way that Creighton could or would ever be able to pony up $700K for him.  Florida?  Maybe, but I think it would be a stretch.  St. John's likely could with their big donor.  So of the four teams, I'd see two that could afford to -- not that they should spend that much.  So there is a good chance IMO that he's not going to get the NIL that he is seeking.  

He's a good player, just don't see the fit at IU.  I have seen some stats that does indicate his value -- he was top 70 nationally in defense and offense rebound rate, block percentage, and free throws taken -- but I keep going back to the fact that he only played 23 minutes per game at Drexel last year, 5 minutes less than the year before.  My gut (don't have stats to back it up) is that the smaller CAA teams put small, faster lineups up and forced him out of the game.  That's worrisome to me.

My gut says he'll end up at St. John's.  Haven't heard much about Omuryi to St. John's lately and Pitino is looking to replace Soriano.

Yeah, I don't think he ever makes it to Bloomington for his visit. I don't think St. John's let's him leave without committing.

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

For whatever reason Kentucky fans think Bradshaw goes portaling today. 

He’s an interesting one because he has the skill set but Klutch is all up in that business.  Would be another risk/reward if he does indeed portal. 

I've seen us mentioned with him. 

FWIW-- I think the prospect of adding Tucker and Kanaan Carlyle should have us pretty excited. Two high-ends talents that will probably be on college campuses for two more years. 

And the frustrations about "poor recruiting", lack of guards, lack of wings, no real youth coming into the program... these two kids suffice all of that. 

12 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Personally, I would call a player like Rienk Mast a competent defensive 5.  Just saying that there are guys like him in the portal, just have to identify them.  Worth noting that Edey really struggled when he played Mast.

My point was to make MR the 5 on both ends so that we don't have to bring another big in to start alongside him. 

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

For whatever reason Kentucky fans think Bradshaw goes portaling today. 

He’s an interesting one because he has the skill set but Klutch is all up in that business.  Would be another risk/reward if he does indeed portal. 

If that does happen I have to think IU has a good shot. 

1) Like Ware, Bradshaw was a top 10 recruit with a disappointing freshman season. He had some injuries this year but I think he has a really good skill set. 

2) I think he is from the same area Mgbako is from. Wonder if there is a connection there. 

19 minutes ago, FW Hoosier said:

I saw on Twitter where Myles Rice posted on his Instagram Story a picture of him and Carlyle waiting to check into a game together earlier this season.  

maybe this means they'll team up in cream and crimson candy stripes and lead us back to the promise land!