Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

5 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

It’s hard for me to get excited with CMW coming back.  My top three are Hickman, Conwell, and Humrichous but at the end of the day it’s still the same staff.

The same staff that didn’t really know what they had in Miller Kopp.  Or guys that went elsewhere and fared better like Franklin at UVA or Bates at Georgia.

Don’t get me wrong, those three I like plus others being talked about are really good players but I think we need bigger fish just because of the ineptitude of this staff.  
I think we would need someone like a Caleb Love or a Hunter Dickinson.  I don’t know if guys like that are in the portal.  Bronny isn’t coming here.  I don’t know why any quality wing would look at us over other schools if they are looking at our offense and want to win and develop.  I hope CMW and company didn’t really think bags of cash would guarantee anything.

You’ve had a lot of good posts but I think this might be my favorite. I couldn’t agree more. After a long day I enjoyed reading this.

4 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I agree but I don't think you can blame this staff for Franklin. He never played for Woodson. 

There's also no reason to believe they'll put together a more well rounded group than last year or that we won't keep seeing the same things we've seen the last 3 years.

That’s true, but I think Franklin could have been had but chose to get out.  Good for him in hindsight.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You’ve had a lot of good posts but I think this might be my favorite. I couldn’t agree more. After a long day I enjoyed reading this.

Thanks!  I think something cold to drink might help.  Who cares if it’s a Wednesday.

23 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

It’s hard for me to get excited with CMW coming back.  My top three are Hickman, Conwell, and Humrichous but at the end of the day it’s still the same staff.

The same staff that didn’t really know what they had in Miller Kopp.  Or guys that went elsewhere and fared better like Franklin at UVA or Bates at Georgia.

Don’t get me wrong, those three I like plus others being talked about are really good players but I think we need bigger fish just because of the ineptitude of this staff.  
I think we would need someone like a Caleb Love or a Hunter Dickinson.  I don’t know if guys like that are in the portal.  Bronny isn’t coming here.  I don’t know why any quality wing would look at us over other schools if they are looking at our offense and want to win and develop.  I hope CMW and company didn’t really think bags of cash would guarantee anything.

I agree with your lack of excitement with Woodson coming back. I am more excited for IU football than I am basketball next yea. I also think there is no way Woodson will sign the players needed to be as good as last year. Ware carried that team toward the end of the season and I don't see Woodson finding a replacement that good. Your top three are all good for IU but all three have serious competition and we both know how well Woodson closes the deal. NIL available or what is left will be a factor for his success. I also agree I don't see a Love or Dickinson type player in the portal. Withe MM - MR and now the new Freshman, I don't see any portal wing even if he is a shooter considering IU. Will Cupps and Leal be happy coming off the bench with Gallo and a portal PG or SG starting?

Three years ago Woodson said his recruiting philosophy was to recruit the best player available, no matter the position. I thought at the time that type of roster building would come back to haunt him. Hard to believe we (fans) have to wait 27 more days to possibly see what the 2024 roster will look like in addition to the late signings from May and after.

I don't feel a "warm fuzzy" about the roster Woodson and staff will end up with based on past performances.

4 hours ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

Those numbers for a freshman I likey, BUT can he defend?

I can't tell you first hand, but this was what 247 saw him as coming out of his school:

Carlyle is a dynamic ball in hand player with terrific length for his size who can create scoring opportunities for himself on demand. He is simply wired to score from all three levels and never has seen a shot he does not like. His handle is as good and tight as anyone in the class and he can get by a defender with his speed and quickness. While he is primarily a scorer, he is terrific at making attacking plays off the dribble with his excellent handle and when the bucket opportunity does not present itself, he is more than willing to make the right find. What is better than his ability to score is his mindset. His mentality is elite as he is a tough and fierce competitor who is always in full attack mode. His constant aggression is what makes him positively productive. Defensively, he has the length and the foot speed to be elite and devastating on that side of the floor. A terrific two-way guard, Carlyle most certainly projects a reliable scorer who plays through most injuries and goes to war like each game is his last.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is what that saw him as after this past season at Stanford:

Kanaan Carlyle entered the transfer portal following his freshman season at Stanford. The scoring guard missed the first month of the season for what was reported as academic reasons, but made an immediate impact when debuting in December, including a 28-point outburst against Arizona in his fourth game. He finished the year having started 16 of 23 games and averaging 25.6 minutes, 11.5 points, 2.7 rebounds, and 2.7 assists.

Carlyle was unable to sustain the same shooting prowess from behind the three-point line that he showed in December, and ultimately saw his percentage dip down to 32% from that range. He was, however, an increasingly versatile scoring threat, if not always an efficient one, as he attempted 33% of his shots at the rim and 42% in the mid-range area per Pivot Analysis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of his early season academic issues at Stanford, what I can tell you is that during recruiting he made it clear that he was really looking for an academic challenge.  I think he had a rude awakening after playing for his senior season at Overtime Elite Academy.....which has their players spend no more than 4 hours per time in instruction, all online.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

You ok with giving him 700K? That’s the asking price. Him, MR, MM all together in the starting lineup 

I'm not.  Also don't think he'll get 700K from anyone.  If he was worth even half that, in either of the last two seasons, he should have transferred from Drexel previously.  What's the ceiling for a guy who is 6'10" and never scored over 20 points in a game his senior year?  

Ke'lel Ware was a two way player at the power 5 level.  Amari Williams is just a decent scoring big man in a low major conference.  $700K is a lot for what would amount to be a role playing starter at best.  Can't see him and Reneau on the floor together much at all -- Ware at least had a little mid range and outside game.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I'm not.  Also don't think he'll get 700K from anyone.  If he was worth even half that, in either of the last two seasons, he should have transferred from Drexel previously.  What's the ceiling for a guy who is 6'10" and never scored over 20 points in a season his senior year?  

Ke'lel Ware was a two way player at the power 5 level.  Amari Williams is just a decent scoring big man in a low major conference.  $700K is a lot for what would amount to be a role playing starter at best.  Can't see him and Reneau on the floor together much at all -- Ware at least had a little mid range and outside game.

For me? I’d rather spend the NIL on a kick @$$ PG and SG, add Humirchous, and play smaller.

2 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

This. Woodrow has no desire to run a modern offense that can function in this age of college basketball. There is absolutely no one available in the talent neighborhood of 4th yr TJD or a 7 foot #7 nationally ranked player looking to transfer in to buoy his archaic style.

A top 4 seed NIT bid next season seems like a good O/U for next season.

The only thing Coach Inside Out seems to consistently produce is apathy.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me? I’d rather spend the NIL on a kick @$$ PG and SG, add Humirchous, and play smaller.

If we thought the spacing was bad with Ware, just wait until we see it with a guy who’s shot 26 3s in four years.

A shame if the plan would be to start him — he could probably match his MPG (or get close to it) in a bench role that mostly kept him with only one of MM or MR at a time.

1 hour ago, IU - Kaulie said:

That’s true, but I think Franklin could have been had but chose to get out.  Good for him in hindsight.

Yeah, but he played for Tony Bennett where player's offensive games go to do.  Not saying he would have necessarily fared better at IU, but he played a heck of a lot better as a sophomore at IU under Archie Miller than he did as a junior at Virginia.

1 hour ago, IH8PU said:

I agree with your lack of excitement with Woodson coming back. I am more excited for IU football than I am basketball next yea. I also think there is no way Woodson will sign the players needed to be as good as last year. Ware carried that team toward the end of the season and I don't see Woodson finding a replacement that good. Your top three are all good for IU but all three have serious competition and we both know how well Woodson closes the deal. NIL available or what is left will be a factor for his success. I also agree I don't see a Love or Dickinson type player in the portal. Withe MM - MR and now the new Freshman, I don't see any portal wing even if he is a shooter considering IU. Will Cupps and Leal be happy coming off the bench with Gallo and a portal PG or SG starting?

Three years ago Woodson said his recruiting philosophy was to recruit the best player available, no matter the position. I thought at the time that type of roster building would come back to haunt him. Hard to believe we (fans) have to wait 27 more days to possibly see what the 2024 roster will look like in addition to the late signings from May and after.

I don't feel a "warm fuzzy" about the roster Woodson and staff will end up with based on past performances.

I think there are many off us that don’t have that warm and fuzzy feeling at all.  But there are several on here that are optimistic and stating lineups with players we don’t even have and some haven’t never been really seriously recruited either.  Oh well, I’m glad some of us are optimistic, because I have little to no confidence that CMW will land 1 or 2 players, not to mention 6.  Lol

2 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Agree with everything but Bates went to Mizzou

3 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

For the life of me, I can't get the Bronny love.  I get the pedigree, understand the medical issue he had at the beginning of the season but don't understand using that to explain all his struggles at USC when it seems to me like a guy in that situation would have had trouble at the beginning of the season but the fact is he started the year fine and then went downhill fast.  His first six games:  16 of 32 from the field (50%), 6 of 19 from three (32%), averaged 7.5 points per game in 17 minutes per game.  The remainder of the season:  25 of 80 (31%), 10 of 41 from three (24%), 4.0 points per game 20 minutes per game in a span of 19 games.

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

For the life of me, I can't get the Bronny love.  I get the pedigree, understand the medical issue he had at the beginning of the season but don't understand using that to explain all his struggles at USC when it seems to me like a guy in that situation would have had trouble at the beginning of the season but the fact is he started the year fine and then went downhill fast.  His first six games:  16 of 32 from the field (50%), 6 of 19 from three (32%), averaged 7.5 points per game in 17 minutes per game.  The remainder of the season:  25 of 80 (31%), 10 of 41 from three (24%), 4.0 points per game 20 minutes per game in a span of 19 games.

I don’t get the love either, but based off his medical condition, I have a feeling his declining numbers were a result of fatigue from his medical condition.  Also, he did lose conditioning due to his illness as well.  My guess is, his numbers will increase some next year

9 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I’m not a fan either.  I just threw his name in there lol.  I’m personally not a LeBron fan either.