Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

16 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

Amari Williams, center from Drexel, has scheduled an official visit for Indiana (along with Florida, St. John's and Creighton). 

Numbers went down from junior to senior year, but he played 5 less minutes a game.

25 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

Amari Williams, center from Drexel, has scheduled an official visit for Indiana (along with Florida, St. John's and Creighton). 

Warning: the first highlight in this video shows him scoring after taking at least seven steps before putting the ball on the floor. lol

I am not an expert talent evaluator so this should be taken with a whole container of salt but I think Amari Williams is just about as good of a big-man addition as IU could hope for.

Pros

-Outstanding defender with good instincts, movement, strength and shot-blocking

-Good size at 6'10" with plus-length and a body that should be able to handle the Big Ten

-Not an elite rebounder but certainly above-average

-Very good passer

-Capable ball handler that can "grab and go" off of rebounds, blocked shots or steals

-Runs the floor well and finishes around the rim

-Consistently stays out of foul trouble

Cons

-Has not shown the ability to score consistently outside of the paint

This could be a pro or a con depending on your outlook: he's not a guy that appears to want or need the ball thrown to him for post-ups.

In short, I think Williams could pair well with Malik and help accentuate Reneau's strengths while limiting his weaknesses. He would also pair well with guards that could attack the rim or play well in pick and roll situations (Galloway, Perkins maybe, Conwell maybe, Rice or Carlyle maybe). Give us 20-25 minutes of strong play and then maybe we go small for the other 15-20 minutes with lineups featuring some combination Ben Humrichous/Malik/Mgbako/Tucker or he could pair with Humrichous playing with the stretch 4. Plus, Amari Williams is from England...that'd be a cool addition. I would love him in Cream and Crimson.

How would we feel about this portal haul:

-Amari Williams

-Hickman or Humrichous

-2/3 of Perkins, Carlyle, Rice

Could sign Blazi as well and that put you at 12 scholarships with 1 remaining. 

Just now, AH1971 said:

-Amari Williams

-Hickman or Humrichous

A- 

Just now, AH1971 said:

-Amari Williams

-Hickman or Humrichous

Would be pretty happy with this. Williams and Hickman would be absolute needs, and addressing lead guard depth with category 3 would be helpful. Still might be short on shooters but would be better than this past year I believe. 

4 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

-Amari Williams

-Hickman or Humrichous

Great question. I'd add Conway to the Perkins, Carlyle, Rice line. 

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

-Amari Williams

-Hickman or Humrichous

Would be over the moon with this. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

32% from 3 is definitely not a good percentage. Especially when it’s on meh volume. IU shot 32% from 3 as a team last year - good for 273rd in the country. 

Yogi Ferrell shot 30% from 3 as a FR... and I'm willing to bet Yogi ended up with consistently better looks than KC did this past season. 

I don't need to hear anything about Bates, Thomas Bryant.. whoever else that don't play the point in reference to Carlyle. 

12 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

-Amari Williams

-Hickman or Humrichous

This would be a great haul. If you can add Conwell as an option, I'd go with him and Myles Rice, Humrichous and Williams. 

• Guards: Conwell, Rice, Galloway, Leal, Cupps, Newton
  • Wings: Mgbako, Tucker, Humrichous, reserve who can shoot TBD
  • Bigs: Malik, Williams, portal big TBD 

Would give you a pretty darn good top 8 with Newton/Leal/Cupps and portal TBDers behind them.

I don't really think it's at all likely we get a haul close to this, but would be great to be wrong.

24 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Does anyone know if we have been involved with or is interested in Clifford Omoruyi?  Now there is a solid rim protector 

Initial rumor was he was likely headed to St. John’s but haven’t heard much after that

49 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Plenty of players regress from year to year too.

Remember, "It's not my job to get Miller Kopp shots." Kopp was a good shooter too. 

A player can have the confidence of his coach, but what if his coach is Mike Woodson and would rather he throw it into the post?

For the record I do like Carlyle, think he would be a good one to add. But he's not inspiring a ton of confidence that he'll fix our outside shooting woes.

The only thing that can fix our outside shooting woes is to "FIRE MIKE WOODSON". Not to try and derail this thread but it is as simple as that.  For all the reasons you mentioned "Not My Job Mike" coming out of his mouth last year when we were 39th in the nation in 3 point %, but 352th in attempts.  That is your job dipsh!t maximize our offensive.  Now moving on to this year's Mike which is "Doing My Job Mike"...I can't hit the open shots for them.  When they could hit the open shots last year it wasn't your job to get them the open shots.  Make me want to yell...

"INFURIATING"