Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Got to mend our broken fanbase by hiring an unenergetic, unqualified, feelgood story.  

Instead of winning being our primary objective, it’s just narrative bending BS to try to satisfy certain sectors of gray hairs. 

you know what unites a fanbase?  Winning does. It’s the ultimate Uniter!  

Talk about making it more complicated than it has to be. 

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Mike got his feelings hurt so now it's everybody else's problem. 

Mike Woodson was a great IU player 40 years ago, so that must mean he would be a good IU coach.

*Woodson shows why he shouldn't have been hired*

We have to give him more time, he was a good player 40 years ago and we never fire coaches when we should.

Got to mend our broken fanbase by hiring an unenergetic, unqualified, feelgood story.  

Instead of winning being our primary objective, it’s just narrative bending BS to try to satisfy certain sectors of gray hairs. 

you know what unites a fanbase?  Winning does. It’s the ultimate Uniter!  
The whole it would mend the and heal was the Woodson non majority group of people over 65 wanting woodson. It's like they think if he is here somehow Bob knight still roams the sidelines. It's weird

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, KathywithaC said:

The common thread here is the leadership above the coach. Our last three AD’s were tremendously shaky hires, and two of them only got the job because of their ties to IU. No one else would’ve even considered them for a P4/5 AD job. The third wasn’t in any real demand either. Poor decisions usually come from un / lightly qualified people. I like Dolson and he loves IU, and he’s easily the best of the three, but it’s not an accident that we are where we are.

But Fred Glass wrote a book on "How he rebuilt Indiana Athletics".... Are you saying that book is a lie? lol

13 hours ago, codesbane said:

The foundation was starting to look pretty solid with JHS and Reneau.  Unfortunately, Chaney did too good of a job of developing JHS and turning him into a one and done.

Please do tell, in your opinion, what definition of success looks like for Woodson in 3 years at IU?  Don't give me vague things like "build a foundation". 

Here are some numbers:
Archie Miller in 4 Seasons: NCAA tournament appearances - 0.  Big Ten Record 33W and 43L.  Overall Record 67W and 56L

Woodson in (almost 3 seasons): NCAA tournament appearances - 2.  Big Ten Record 30W 29L. Overall Record 61W 39L

That is objectively a step in the right direction.  Getting back to a true basketball powerhouse is a journey that will take longer than 3 years.  We can't expect every coach to take us from trash to championship in 3 years and then get rid of them.  I'm not a Woodson fanboy either.  I hate his style of basketball.  I'm all for getting rid of him, I just don't think you can fire him for moving the numbers in the right direction without it being detrimental to your chances of getting a great coach.  We need him to resign to "spend more time with his grandkids" or something along those lines.

The recruiting is really disappointing.  The combination of NIL and portal does change your recruiting approach though.  For example, I really liked what Woodson had going with the Montverde pipeline, but unfortunately that may be up in flames now.  Seems like the philosophy was always use NIL to land the 5 stars and use NIL to land the proven 3/4 star guys from the portal.  No reason to spend time recruiting too many unproven 3/4 stars out of high school with the portal. I thought this made a lot of sense, but it will be put to the test this portal season.

We are likely going to need 7-10 players from the portal this season. You give me one example of a team that’s done that and finished top 4 in their conference and I’ll delete my account. 

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

We are likely going to need 7-10 players from the portal this season. You give me one example of a team that’s done that and finished top 4 in their conference and I’ll delete my account. 

Fans are going to be toxic as hell online about it as well.  I am all for it because people should show they matter instead of millionaires.  

2 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Far more likely that they struggle right out the gate and mercenaries throw in the towel... slow motion train wreck. 

I'm sure the guards were lining up to come to IU when we are returning a 6 year point guard and a 4th year wing who shot 40+ percent from deep.  Do you even consider that or are you just assuming Woodson was sitting there doing nothing?

Neat, this bot is using the same script as NGW.

Doesn't make any more sense under a different name.

1 hour ago, KathywithaC said:

Because it’s not part of the culture. Allen got three years of complete failure before they let him go, and that was after it was clear to most people that he wasn’t good enough for the job and had no self awareness that he had completely lost control. Miller got four years and, while much better than Allen, was still tone deaf. So Woody, a favorite son who won BT MVP playing in only the last 6 games of an 18 game schedule, is going to get more time unless he decides to pull the rip cord himself. It’s how they’ve done things for years and years. And years.

Which is why they’ve sucked for years and years and years.

4 hours ago, KathywithaC said:

The common thread here is the leadership above the coach. Our last three AD’s were tremendously shaky hires, and two of them only got the job because of their ties to IU. No one else would’ve even considered them for a P4/5 AD job. The third wasn’t in any real demand either. Poor decisions usually come from un / lightly qualified people. I like Dolson and he loves IU, and he’s easily the best of the three, but it’s not an accident that we are where we are.

Been obvious to any outside observer for some time. 

I'm sure the guards were lining up to come to IU when we are returning a 6 year point guard and a 4th year wing who shot 40+ percent from deep.  Do you even consider that or are you just assuming Woodson was sitting there doing nothing?

As far as recruiting goes, it's been pretty obvious that Woodson was sitting there doing nothing...

Your account is in no danger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Utah St did it this year and won the MWC 

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

If Dolson was "very happy" to get a 60+ year old that hadn't been a head coach in a decade, and never at the college level, that's a pretty big negative in his ledger. No active AD would've done that.

I am not believing that.  I'll believe he was caught unprepared when that guy who no longer coaches said no.  But that he just decided to go with Woodson without pressure and no additional search  -- no way.  

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

At this point, who cares if Dolson F'd up with the Woodson hire (he clearly did). 

WHY IS HE NOT BEING ALLOWED TO FIX IT?

Lol. Can't save those who don't want to be saved.

My gut is telling me he's going to fix it.  I think there is going to be a "come to Jesus" moment.  Can't go into next year like this.

Just now, Golfman25 said:

My gut is telling me he's going to fix it.  I think there is going to be a "come to Jesus" moment.  Can't go into next year like this.

My gut tells me the same thing Golfman. 

But I may just need some kombucha. 

2 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

This is Cathy's logic: 

• It was Glass's fault for not interviewing Mike Woodson. 

(IMO as a courtesy he should've been given an interview even as a probably unqualified candidate)

• It's Dolson's fault for hiring Woodson. And now it's Dolson's fault for not firing him because the culture won't allow him to, even though it actively encouraged him to hire Woody.

Yeah, that take is beyond ridiculous.  She's saying that 'Buckner didn't have unilateral authority to hire Woodson' but now it seems he has unilateral authority in making sure he isn't fired.  I call BS.

What actually seems to be the case is that Buckner didn't NEED to utilize his unilateral authority to hire Woodson because he got enough people on board with him and now when the AD wants the coach gone and there are board members who might on be board to terminate the contract but won't for fear of repurcusions that Buckner is USING unilaterly authority to retain Woodson.

Just because Buckner didn't necessarily need to flex his authority when Woodson got hired does not mean he didn't have unilateral authority.  Having an alarm system that you don't have to use because no one tried to rob you doesn't mean you don't have an alarm system.  It just means it wasn't needed.....that night.

In terms of Glass not interviewing Woodson as a courtesy, perhaps he was wise to the fact that if he DID interview Woodson that Buckner would flex his authority.