Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

POTFB 2/10 8 pm on Fox

5 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

At this point fans have to choose to believe insight from guys like Trilly, Goodman, Ant Wright or don’t. All of them have said many times (and they regularly talk to recruits, handlers, AAU coaches, etc) the guards that would have been the biggest help didn’t want to come here and compete with X and Trey.

think of it this way. You are Dingle, Ellis, Knecht, Love, Timberlake, RayJ, etc. you going where the coach says, “I have 2 seniors returners, we like you a lot and think you would be a big part of this team but no, I can’t guarantee a starting spot, you have to come in an earn it” or are you going to a team with a wide open spot and coach telling you that you are a starter?  

Fans can keep saying no guards are scared of X and Trey but all the guys who know, tell you this is what happened. 

Did Woody still fail or find a guy or 2 who would, yep. Did he expect one guy to show up and need another surgery, X to go down twice etc. of course not. he still owns this but the situation next year is 100% different. I would even say with Trey because everyone has now seen (including himself) that he isn’t a starter. He wants to win and like his buddy Leal, happy to be depth. 

Sorry to make a long post longer but speaking of Ant Wright - really, really like his takes. That guy called everything on how this season would go before any games. Each player in detail. He was dead on when guys like Tony A, Assembly, Inside the Hall etc etc were way off. For those saying the system is a problem etc. he truly believes the system is fine and will flourish with the right guards. He was talking on it some tonight and has all season. He is also pretty plugged in and feels confident IU will have guards lining up in portal. Take it for what it’s worth. 

Do we really want players who are afraid to compete and want things given to them?  Not me. I’m still old school.  Go out and earn it. 

Do we really want players who are afraid to compete and want things given to them?  Not me. I’m still old school.  Go out and earn it. 
All of them are that way! Well I bet 90 percent. It's the way the game is and the world unfortunately. I don't see that getting better. It was the staffs job to crean xavier and whoever else they needed to get the best players available to compete this year. That didn't happen. What's scary is how much NIL these kids will want to return lol. Who will pay for that? I can think of 1 player I would pay big money for. I bet alot of guys leave

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

At this point fans have to choose to believe insight from guys like Trilly, Goodman, Ant Wright or don’t. All of them have said many times (and they regularly talk to recruits, handlers, AAU coaches, etc) the guards that would have been the biggest help didn’t want to come here and compete with X and Trey.

think of it this way. You are Dingle, Ellis, Knecht, Love, Timberlake, RayJ, etc. you going where the coach says, “I have 2 seniors returners, we like you a lot and think you would be a big part of this team but no, I can’t guarantee a starting spot, you have to come in an earn it” or are you going to a team with a wide open spot and coach telling you that you are a starter?  

Fans can keep saying no guards are scared of X and Trey but all the guys who know, tell you this is what happened. 

Did Woody still fail or find a guy or 2 who would, yep. Did he expect one guy to show up and need another surgery, X to go down twice etc. of course not. he still owns this but the situation next year is 100% different. I would even say with Trey because everyone has now seen (including himself) that he isn’t a starter. He wants to win and like his buddy Leal, happy to be depth. 

Sorry to make a long post longer but speaking of Ant Wright - really, really like his takes. That guy called everything on how this season would go before any games. Each player in detail. He was dead on when guys like Tony A, Assembly, Inside the Hall etc etc were way off. For those saying the system is a problem etc. he truly believes the system is fine and will flourish with the right guards. He was talking on it some tonight and has all season. He is also pretty plugged in and feels confident IU will have guards lining up in portal. Take it for what it’s worth. 

Ant Wright had no good points. Because this system sucks. This coach sucks. The staff sucks. Woody is the problem. His system is the problem. He's clueless to what's going on.

53 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

All of them are that way! Well I bet 90 percent. It's the way the game is and the world unfortunately.

Wisconsin landed two of their better guards in the portal when they had a starting back court returning. They just came in and beat people out for playing time, apparently. 

7 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

Tend to agree. We lack guards. It’s a guards game. It’s like playing 3 on 5 at times. We would have been better off if X had moved on.

Well embedded moles say everything is gonna be alright. Well, Bob Marley said this too, and he was sadly mistaken.

On a more serious note. Maybe different players will make a difference (positive/negative). Well of course they could. Nothing about what’s going on this season tells me it won’t be worse.

I’ve had low points as an Indiana fan but this feels like the lowest I’ve been in a while.

Because, it’s clear we need new leadership. A new vision. But by doing that we create some divide amongst the media/alumni/fans. My IUBB fandom has reached the point to where my IUFB fandom has been for years. Laugh off the predictable results. Try to become a casual fan who just doesn’t give much of a damn.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I keep saying this but it is a crucial point about Purdue. They are a one man team. Thats not hyperbolic at all. If Shrek is in foul trouble or gets injured, Purdue is not a top 25 caliber team. Who is their go to scorers without Edey over a whole 40 min? They immediately turn into a mid B1G team or worse. 

The #2 team in the country is entirely reliant on one player. That’s why Purdue doesn’t win in March. Indiana had the bettee talent last year and this year- but our chemistry and culture and coaching wasn’t there. Indiana as I think most of us would agree and outsiders would ageee as well- we are one good coach away from being a dominant program again. Plenty of brand recognition (albeit old now) plenty of NiL, plenty of fan support. 

This is Purdue’s absolute zenith- it’s all they can really do- high rankings, with one good player and a system and a very localized fan base and early exits in March since time began. This is all they got. 

Indiana can reach a new gear with the right coach and that’s why they dislike us. 

I keep saying this but it is a crucial point about Purdue. They are a one man team. Thats not hyperbolic at all. If Shrek is in foul trouble or gets injured, Purdue is not a top 25 caliber team. Who is their go to scorers without Edey over a whole 40 min? They immediately turn into a mid B1G team or worse. 

The #2 team in the country is entirely reliant on one player. That’s why Purdue doesn’t win in March. Indiana had the bettee talent last year and this year- but our chemistry and culture and coaching wasn’t there. Indiana as I think most of us would agree and outsiders would ageee as well- we are one good coach away from being a dominant program again. Plenty of brand recognition (albeit old now) plenty of NiL, plenty of fan support. 

This is Purdue’s absolute zenith- it’s all they can really do- high rankings, with one good player and a system and a very localized fan base and early exits in March since time began. This is all they got. 

Indiana can reach a new gear with the right coach and that’s why they dislike us. 

Normally I’d agree with you but this is not correct as of late.

Edey is by far their best big. But he is their 4th one in a row that has allowed them to be a top ranked team. Painter has another on the bench and another recruited one. He can grab a transfer one if he desires. He has things rolling. And last year the supporting cast was young and weak. This year, not really. Confident, good ball players. Record speaks for itself. Their recruiting is improving rapidly and will continue to do so as Indiana flounders.

I believe our ceiling theoretically is much higher but Purdue is gonna be at the top of the perch for a bit. They will possibly have good players looking to transfer out for not getting playing time.

IDK, but the Purdue is only Edey narrative isn’t a true one. It’s Painter just as much.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

23 minutes ago, Adillac said:

Without typing too much I agree with a lot this post. I said this last night , it’s now or never for Purdue this year. They are well coached and have a great team (the one part I disagree with you). Come tourney time we will see how these games are called. If they are called different, Edey is screwed. It’s all about matchups, and if Purdue draws a team that can run and gun, they will lose.

Edit: as mentioned above, it’s not just Edey. This team is good together. They communicate, have team leaders, confident, and just play well together 

Mike Woodson “They (Purdue) have grown together. We have revamped our team….we are young.”  One freshman and everyone else has at least 1 full season under their belt.

Mike Woodson: “For me as a coach, I just gotta continue to teach and continue to coach.”    Might need to work on your teaching technique Woody.

Mike Woodson: “The season’s not over, guys .. We still have six, seven games to play. … We’re still in the thick of things.”   You sure are, it's called quicksand.

Mike Woodson: “We gotta continue to grow as a team. We are gonna have to add some pieces.”   So the light bulb finally went on?

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Mike Woodson: “We gotta continue to grow as a team. We are gonna have to add some pieces.”   So the light bulb finally went on?

Going to have to add some free agents after Valentine’s Day  to make that late March push 

9 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Mike Woodson “They (Purdue) have grown together. We have revamped our team….we are young.”  One freshman and everyone else has at least 1 full season under their belt.

Mike Woodson: “For me as a coach, I just gotta continue to teach and continue to coach.”    Might need to work on your teaching technique Woody.

Mike Woodson: “The season’s not over, guys .. We still have six, seven games to play. … We’re still in the thick of things.”   You sure are, it's called quicksand.

1) We ARE very young. Only one player in our rotation was a college basketball starter last year.

2) Woody built the roster.

39 minutes ago, Adillac said:

I wish this were the case but they actually have guards this year. Braden smith is very good and lance jones was a big pickup. I think they have 7 players or something shooting 35% or higher from 3. I do think an athletic team can give them problems but they've beaten everyone this year. I think this is probably their best chance to win one. 

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

This has been covered before

GG was willing to bench his guys and guarantee shios to guys. Self did same with Timberlake and then recruited over him too. 

Lot of fans would say one thing but want another. You want the best guys, the winners etc. it takes being ugly. It takes “Creaning” guys, it takes giving sales pitches you might not keep. 

Ok well Woodson’s team sucks because he won’t do those things then, so he needs to go. 

This has been covered before
GG was willing to bench his guys and guarantee shios to guys. Self did same with Timberlake and then recruited over him too. 
Lot of fans would say one thing but want another. You want the best guys, the winners etc. it takes being ugly. It takes “Creaning” guys, it takes giving sales pitches you might not keep. 

If you don’t know what the best talent looks like then you get all the best talent you can get and let it sort itself out.

Trying to manage a roster by recruiting guys happy to be on the bench, you will get these results we are getting this year when the guys you think are starters, aren’t indeed starters.

Get 10 or 11 starters and 2-3 ‘developmental’ spots. Pay them enough to keep them content if need be. Play the absolute best 8 guys. Play your best 5-6 the majority of the minutes. It’s not that hard.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

It is much easier to learn and make a change of approach than it is to start over. Much smarter too. 

many of you sound like the kids who transfer and then you complain they are quitters, are entitled, what happened to players staying 4 years and growing, why won’t they put in the work to get better, etc? 

They play for Turdue

It is much easier to learn and make a change of approach than it is to start over. Much smarter too. 

many of you sound like the kids who transfer and then you complain they are quitters, are entitled, what happened to players staying 4 years and growing, why won’t they put in the work to get better, etc? 

I don't think Woody will change his approach, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

You gotta be on the Mike Woodson payroll at this point to still be taking this stance after a second 20 point drubbing by Purdue … I don’t care to wait around to see if our 66 year old coach suddenly changes his approach. I’ll be his age and he’ll still be talking about getting over the hump