Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Food for thought......Dusty May is 7-2 against P5 competition the last two years, all away from home.

Sounds to me like a P5 coach just not coaching currently at a P5 school.

Fri, Nov 11 80-67        
Mon, Nov 14 76-74
Fri, Mar 17
vsMemphis8 Memphis *

66-65

Thu, Mar 23
vsTennessee4 Tennessee *
62-55
Sat, Mar 25

79-76

Sat, Apr 1 72-71
Fri, Nov 24
vsTexas A&M12 Texas A&M *
96-89        
Sun, Nov 26 84-50
Tue, Dec 5
vsIllinois20 Illinois *
98-89
Sat, Dec 23
vsArizona4 Arizona *
96-95 2OT

Not. Too. Shabby

I am a firm believer that teams should the best coaches from the D2/D3 ranks. Why? Because a good coach is a good coach at any level. Same logic applies here. It applied when BP was first hired from D2 up to D1 30 years ago. It applies to Dusty May now. 

As for the "stakes" of this hire, I don't get the argument. We said the same stuff when we hired Crean Archie and Woody. The fan support isn't going away, everything else has already hit rock bottom. We turn over our roster every year, losing recruiting battles, finishing middle of the pack in the Big Ten and struggling to make the tourney. Purdue runs in state recruiting and is having historic success. Personally, I think they are hanging a banner this year. It can't get much worse, from a macro level. IMO, we tried getting a 60-something year old to right the ship. It's time to look at where we are and get an energetic program builder.

I don't how how many ways to put this, but Dusty is NOT Archie Miller. Comparison between the two is just lazy. If you want to compare him to a past coach, he more resembles Tom Crean except he's not a weirdo. 

Posted (edited)

Bruce Pearl>Dusty May

Dusty May isn't a bad consolation prize, and may end up being the better hire down the line....I see much less risk and much greater reward immediately with Pearl. Winning for the next 5 years with Pearl would set us up for the future where IUBB becomes THE destination job again and we can pull any coach we want. 

Edited by Hoosier2016

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Or just understand how to team build lol 

He has 3-4 starters that would HELP us 

Almost has to bring those 4 starters. He needs to win and win quick. He's not going to get a honeymoon like Crean in the portal era. 

2 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

How do you know that Dusty will be successful?  

I don’t. But I know people who like to compare him coming here to Archie and I don’t think that’s fair. Just saying people shouldnt base Archie’s failure here to whether or not Dusty does. 

29 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m definitely a Pearl fan. However, I’m not sure anyone is winning next year. It’s taken Pearl several years at every stop. To say he has to do it in year 1, would be unreasonable and if that’s the expectations, then we will have fire Pearl posts year 1. 

if Woodson is gone, then everyone needs to give that person 3 years to build. Not say for it to take 3 years to make the dance. I’m saying 3 years is enough time to show that we aren’t going to be Portal reliant, high school recruiting has picked up, and there is a clear vision and style of play that is modern 

With the exception of auburn, Pearl has succeeded immediately at his other three jobs. 

USI - 22-7, 14-4 in conference

Milwaukee - 16.13, but 11-5 in conference

Tennessee - 22-8, 12-4 in conference, round of 32

With the transfer portal, NIL, and the Big Ten being pretty crappy overall , I think we could reasonably expect a season like his first season at Tennessee. And then in year twos he really takes off. 

50 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Well for one someone took a screenshot of what I posted here and posted it on Trilly Discord. Someone I don't know. Friends on here asked if they could DM it to Trilly which I said of course. 

Then it ends up in a tweet from someone I definitely don't know. It's just fun and games. 

But in the end, we got you, Chris... we know the truth. 

35 minutes ago, SamIam said:

No shot. This board underestimates the amount of people who are uncomfortable with Pearl, for better or for worse. Pearl's expectation will be immediate wins, May will be given time as he is 47. Plus, May is a native son.

I would strongly caution going down this road. Indiana is currently being coached by a former playing legend and I would say more than half the fan base is ready to move on from him after year 3 and it's a very real chance it's going to happen. And that's with making the tournament in years 1 and 2. May isn't going to get 5-6 years to build the program they way he wants too like he did at FAU. If he misses the tournament in years 1 and 2 he's going to have to do some serious damage in year 3 or risk losing a big portion of the fan base. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think their big kid should go pro. Maybe Davis, too. 

Davis is the only one with a chance to make the NBA and I don't think he's a surefire draft pick. Goldin doesn't have a game that translates to the next level. He's good around the rim offensively but not a great rim protector or rebounder for his size.

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

I would strongly caution going down this road. Indiana is currently being coached by a former playing legend and I would say more than half the fan base is ready to move on from him after year 3 and it's a very real chance it's going to happen. And that's with making the tournament in years 1 and 2. May isn't going to get 5-6 years to build the program they way he wants too like he did at FAU. If he misses the tournament in years 1 and 2 he's going to have to do some serious damage in year 3 or risk losing a big portion of the fan base. 

Yeah this is certainly true. But based on FAU's historical standards May was an extreme positive outlier already in years 1-4. I don't think the argument that it took him a long time to get going holds much water. 

16 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I understand Bruce Pearl being the sure fire thing with instant success and I’d love to have him,  but if people don't want Dusty May because of Archie PTSD then I don’t think that’s fair. I know it can appear we’d be going down that road but it’s just hard to compare the two for handfuls of reasons. We can’t assume Dusty will fail because Archie failed, and I personally know people who like to bring up Archie when Dusty May’s name comes up.
In my opinion, Dusty would create that same passion Bruce could because he gets it. Think of what Dusty is able to accomplish at a school like FAU, and consider what he’d be able to do with the resources and brand of an IU. Some may say that point could be said about Archie/Dayton/IU…but Archie wasn’t the type of guy ready to be on IUs stage. Dusty is gonna know what that stage is already and know how to handle it. 

It isn't just Archie. There are dozens among dozens of coaches who have built programs at the lower levels because they have coached in no pressure situations and given the necessary time that have completely flopped at a higher level. 

1 hour ago, jbeaman9 said:

I would not. Collins has had his chance at a Big Ten university for several years and can't cut it. He has had more talent across the board than May while May has done more with less. 

Over the last two seasons Collins has gone 42-31. Collins has had an average of 49 O rating and a 51 D rating per Bart Torvik while pulling in the #81 and #67 ranked recruiting classes per 247 sports. 

May has gone 57-11 (while playing more major conference teams in the non-conference than Collins and NW). His O rating is an average of 26.5 with a defensive rating average of 86.5. May has done this while landing the #180 and #97 recruiting classes. 

Collins has made 2 tournaments in his 11 years at NW (projected to make his 3rd this year) with an average seed of 8. 

May took FAU to the tourney (for the first time ever) as a 9 seed and took them to the final four. They are projected to make the tournament again this season. May will have taken FAU to almost as many tournaments as Collins in half the amount of years and with far less overall talent. 

I am not saying May is the answer long term over others, however, Chris Collins should be no where near this coaching search or discussion.

Well say what you will about Collins, but he has serious academic restrictions on who he can bring in.  Safe to say FAU has no such restrictions.  

7 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Right now my "coping mechanism" for the suggestion Dolson is having trouble getting support for hiring BP is that this is being spread to cool the rumors for the time being (keep the pressure off Pearl).

This is a darn good piece of copium. Thank you for coming up with a theory to keep the dream alive lol