Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Where is the “other coaches don’t like him” ideas coming from. I am sure I missed a post but have not seen soon that

Read somewhere that Woodson refused to speak to another team when the coach asked him to. I have also heard comments that he doesn't particularly like Teri Moren and would prefer that the women's basketball team not participate in Hoosier Hysteria. Could be idle and random rumor, but it's what I've heard.

Here's one post for reference:

Edited by RoncalliHoosier

1 minute ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

Read somewhere that Woodson refused to speak to another team when the coach asked him to. I have also heard comments that he doesn't particularly like Teri Moren and would prefer that the women's basketball team not participate in Hoosier Hysteria. Could be idle and random rumor, but it's what I've heard.

Saw that too. Don't remember where. 

Anyway, I refuse to believe this one is true. Can you imagine? 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I agree that we either need to play Reneau at the 5 or if we're getting a rim protector let him go. But no one wants to see two bigs playing together any longer

Agree, because imo MM (if he’s back) should be a 4, not a 3. Regardless of who plays the 5–Reneau, Sparks (!?!), or a portal addition.

20 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Saw that too. Don't remember where. 

Anyway, I refuse to believe this one is true. Can you imagine? 

Cigs filled in for him when he told Yeagley he wouldn’t speak to the soccer team. 

He doesn’t think the women should be at Hoosier Hysteria or practice in Assembly. Those are stories passed around the athletic department. I would tend to believe they are true.

21 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'm just seeing what most of you already know about Louisville firing Kenny Payne after 2 years.

This is why we currently suck as a program.  All the damn slow learners involved with IU athletics who can't understand truths of who is a terrible coach unless you see it for years....YOU SUCK.  YOURE KILLING OUR PROGRAM.  GO AWAY.

Thanks, I feel better.  Slow Learners suck.

I don't think in the case of Woodson it "slow learners" as much as nepotism and "taking care of one of their own".

1 minute ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

I don't think in the case of Woodson it "slow learners" as much as nepotism and "taking care of one of their own".

This. Woodson is being kept because people with power/money want to protect their friend. Woodson will hire Payne to protect his friend.

Short of a complete meltdown next year they'll look for every excuse to bring him back for year 5.

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Cigs filled in for him when he told Yeagley he wouldn’t speak to the soccer team. 

He doesn’t think the women should be at Hoosier Hysteria or practice in Assembly. Those are stories passed around the athletic department. I would tend to believe they are true.

I think Lucy said it best...

Screenshot_2024-03-13-18-28-21-80_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

What really grinds my gears is that a good Coach would use his popularity to help get women's team more NIL money or resources.  They do that at Duke and UNC by having dinners with specific donors or private basketball lessons.  

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is all nauseating. I hope it isn't true, particularly the HH and practice piece. I do find it strange there has been seemingly no cross-promotion or marketing done with the run the women have been on under Teri. You would think he would have made an appearance at least watching a home game when able due to schedule or some other joint media. Correct me if I am wrong please, I just do not recall seeing anything of the sort.  

19 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

Is it?  If the powers that be could see that he truly was bad for the program, they'd have to let him go.  But they haven't learned that yet.  Probably because of nepotism.

Archie slow learners couldn't see how bad he was because that would mean they had to admit they were wrong.

No matter the reason they're slow learners, they're slow learners.

28 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Aye caramba.

1 hour ago, OKHOOSIER said:

We had a modern 4, we played him at the 3 all season until the last four games when I saw some clear choices to leave MR on the bench. If we cared about winning, there would have been some combination of Ware/MM/AW or MR/MM/AW on the court at all times but never Ware and MR at the same time and obviously limited minutes for AW. At least not for extended run unless it made sense from an opposing personnel standpoint. Wanna start them both? Fine, then sub out and start the substitution patterns from there. 

There was an interesting stretch during one of the last four (don't remember which one so bear with me), where MR was on the bench (not because of fouls), MM at the 4 and the offense was wide open. It was actually fun to watch. MR gets subbed back in at the under-4 and the offense stalled somewhat with the clogged lane and pounding the ball inside and he was taken back out at like 2:15 left and we iced it. 

One thing I will say is that if Reneau would have been at the 5 and Mgbako at the 4, that's a really poor rebounding team.  MR doesn't rebound like a 5 and MM doesn't rebound like a 4 -- although I think MM would have been a decent defender at the 4 in college.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

One thing I will say is that if Reneau would have been at the 5 and Mgbako at the 4, that's a really poor rebounding team.  MR doesn't rebound like a 5 and MM doesn't rebound like a 4 -- although I think MM would have been a decent defender at the 4 in college.

If you are going to play MM at the four he needs to put on 10 pounds this summer, which is doable.  He'd be a serious mismatch there.

As for Reneau, it's difficult to say how he would look at the 5. To what extent are his defensive issues due to playing out of position on the perimeter against faster 4's? Same thing with rebounding, he is just slower than his man so he doesn't pursue long rebounds as well, against fives he has been serviceable. He is really savvy and has a super strong base so I think he could hold his own at the 5 in the post, but I don't think he has the athleticism to defend the rim. Basically we may suck at defense but spacing four out with Reneau's low post/passing ability is really intriguing. 

28 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

This is all nauseating. I hope it isn't true, particularly the HH and practice piece. I do find it strange there has been seemingly no cross-promotion or marketing done with the run the women have been on under Teri. You would think he would have made an appearance at least watching a home game when able due to schedule or some other joint media. Correct me if I am wrong please, I just do not recall seeing anything of the sort.  

I have season tickets to the women’s games. I thought it was odd that I hadn’t seen him at a game. Makes sense now…

52 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Would be crazy if true and he did not have good reason to not speak to them. Especially since RMK and poppa Yeagley were pretty close. Those 2 used to play doubles together until one match where RMK got a little RMKish lol.