Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

I get where you're coming from, but I don't get this reasoning. You presuppose that you have to cheat or bend the rules to win. Coaches known for being "by the book" -  Brad Stevens, Roy Williams, Tony Bennett, Matt Painter, Jay Wright, Tom Izzo, John Beilein. 
We all want to win. I think that those of us who also want us to run a clean program with a good man as head coach also have valid points. 

Do I want cheating? No i do not. But at the same time, a lot of things are legal now that weren’t years ago. And also, if you think those coaches aren’t dipping their toes in the gray area or walking right on the edge, then I would say you might be wrong. Is there coaches doing it all 100%, most likely, but if you look at any top team or great coach, I would guess they couldn’t look you in the eye and say they have allowed followed the rules 100%

Long sorry short, do I want to cheat? Hell no. But if winning means that every now and then, maybe you got to dip your toe or reach across the line for a second, I’m willing too.

For the people that don’t want Pearl, I totally can see where they are coming from and I won’t think any different of them. That is their opinion and I totally respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Do I want cheating? No i do not. But at the same time, a lot of things are legal now that weren’t years ago. And also, if you think those coaches aren’t dipping their toes in the gray area or walking right on the edge, then I would say you might be wrong. Is there coaches doing it all 100%, most likely, but if you look at any top team or great coach, I would guess they couldn’t look you in the eye and say they have allowed followed the rules 100%

Long sorry short, do I want to cheat? Hell no. But if winning means that every now and then, maybe you got to dip your toe or reach across the line for a second, I’m willing too.

For the people that don’t want Pearl, I totally can see where they are coming from and I won’t think any different of them. That is their opinion and I totally respect that.

Fair. I guess what I was saying is there is a difference between operating in a grey area and having multiple infractions and a 3 year show cause like Pearl. I think there's an argument to be made that that stuff is legal now tho

3 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

He boned Illinois? I was already kinda in. Now I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Hope their fans don't chuck beers at his family when we play there like they did the Gordons.

+1,000,000

Letting the NCAA know about impermissible benefits by illannoy? Sounds like a good idea.

5 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Exactly. We'd have a ton of $10 and $20 contributions, and plenty scratch a check for $1000. I'm confident we could have the $12M by the weekend.

I'm sure we can convince the MODs of BTOWN BANNERS to match right MODs?  It's pocket change pull it out of the slush fund. 

14 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Had a violation (pretty minor) at Milwaukee and got dinged for having Chuck Person on staff at Auburn. Person got hooked up in the recruiting scandal a few years back and faced federal charges. Pearl reportedly didn't cooperate with the investigation -- got him a two-game suspension and Auburn four years of probation. 

The easy argument is that the Milwaukee and Tennessee things were minor, and that he didn't do anything at Auburn -- that Person was the guilty party. But Pearl is responsible for his staff and their actions. 

And I'm sorry, though I detest the U. of Illinois -- it bugs me that he ratted them out, then had his own transgressions down the line. IMO, if he was gonna drop dime on the U of I, he needed to keep his nose clean. And he did not. 

People will disagree with me, and want Pearl at IU. And that's fine. I just don't care for the guy and it's not likely anything will change my mind. 

Well -- maybe a natty will. LOL! 

And while being banished to DII for his shade at Iowa he ended up having Person/Pearl like shade with Rick Herdes at USI. 

This article does a decent job giving his coaching shade career timeline. 
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/4/4/18295241/bruce-pearl-final-four-timeline-infractions-auburn-lowa-deon-thomas-wire-milwaukee-violations

Pearl will indeed put his shade fingerprint on any program he coaches, that's just who he is. It's just a matter if you care or not that IUBB get's the Pearl tarnish. To each his own. 

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

He boned Illinois? I was already kinda in. Now I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Hope their fans don't chuck beers at his family when we play there like they did the Gordons.

I used to go on Illinois boards back when the Gordon thing went down and they couldn't stop talking about us. I noticed they always referred to Iowa as UFI (University of freaking Iowa) because they were still pissed about this incident. If Pearl coached here, he'd get the Kelvin Sampson treatment whenever we play at Illinois...and I'd say bring it. 

7 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It was sodas back then since it took forever to allow alcohol at NCAA events.  I know since I was busted a few time back in the day.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

I'm sure we can convince the MODs of BTOWN BANNERS to match right MODs?  It's pocket change pull it out of the slush fund. 

I will donate my entire compensation as a mod to the fund. In fact, I will donate double my entire compensation.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Also I want to add for everyone to see and read because I see this on Peegs and here. The mods over there are the worst IMO but anyway. When someone says IU is talking to Pearl, Alford, Pitino whoever, It's not Dolson picking up the phone and calling one of these coaches.

It's someone who is related to IU who is talking to the agent of a person close to whichever coach. Numbers can be discussed in this situation and it doesn't mean we already have lawyers drawing up contracts. But those talks can take place before Dolson meets with one of these coaches face-to-face. Just wanted to get that off my chest. 

So it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swBtLPWeKbU

22 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Yeah, I doubt any winning program is 100% clean; just shades of gray, especially since the NCAA doesn't really care. A recruit at a cookout? Whatever, I care as much about that as Sampson's text messages. 

Fake classes or hookers would definitely be too far.

This is a hot take, but I don’t think fake classes would even really bother me. Many athletes are “student” athletes in name only. They have advisors to ‘help’ them with their work. They often do anything but pay attention to class (when they show up, that is). I don’t view fake classes as much worse than the current wink wink charade that often happens. 

43 minutes ago, SamIam said:

I get where you're coming from, but I don't get this reasoning. You presuppose that you have to cheat or bend the rules to win. Coaches known for being "by the book" -  Brad Stevens, Roy Williams, Tony Bennett, Matt Painter, Jay Wright, Tom Izzo, John Beilein. 

We all want to win. I think that those of us who also want us to run a clean program with a good man as head coach also have valid points. 

I don't mean to be confrontational but it rubs me the wrong way that you keep making reference to BP not being a "good man" 

Chris Facial Hair we can all, for the most part, agree is a "bad" man. I certainly think he is and would not want him here.

Bruce Pearl's "trouble" is from ages ago with a now impotent NCAA.

The one semi "serious" issue connected to Pearl (bribery charges) were not even tied to him directly (an assistant was charged). Not only was that essentially industry standard way of operating... but there is no longer a need for that sort of stuff with NIL. You could reasonably argue his program is cleaner in today's context than Roy Williams' ever was - those kids weren't taking actual classes. They were made up and entirely on paper! And guess what... I don't think Roy Williams is a "bad" man either. The point is there is no such thing as a "clean" program. That doesn't mean the people working in them are inherently "bad"

So is Bruce Pearl a bad guy for helping kids get paid, having BBQs, or recruiting when he shouldn't have been? I don't think necessarily. You can say it makes you doubt his ability to run a clean program... fine, but as has been said, it's basically all legal now. 

To assert others are okay with a "bad guy" like Bruce Pearl being HC because he broke some obscure rules is sanctimonious at best. No coach is perfect. No man is perfect. Yes there are degrees to all of this and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If someone draws their line at a coach like Bruce Pearl, after our past 20+ years, okay.. I'll keep rooting for us to catch lightning in a bottle like Knight again

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Would I gladly have Pearl as coach? Absolutely. Do I actually think it'll happen? No.

I know we're all just posting opinions and thoughts and the potential coach discussion can get our interest going more now than what the rest of the season looks like, but I just don't get the continued Peal discussion. Fun coach to watch. No way in Hell IU hires him, just dead in the water. 

11 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

And while being banished to DII for his shade at Iowa he ended up having Person/Pearl like shade with Rick Herdes at USI. 

This article does a decent job giving his coaching shade career timeline. 
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/4/4/18295241/bruce-pearl-final-four-timeline-infractions-auburn-lowa-deon-thomas-wire-milwaukee-violations

Pearl will indeed put his shade fingerprint on any program he coaches, that's just who he is. It's just a matter if you care or not that IUBB get's the Pearl tarnish. To each his own. 

IU has been relegated to a mid-level B10 program the last 20 years. If Pearl's fingerprint means getting us out of mediocrity just tell me where to sign.