Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

10 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

Did he play for Pearl at Southern Indiana?

Owens is listed on their "all time roster" as having played there 1997-1999 and Pearl was HC from 1992-2001... so I'd say yes.

https://usiscreamingeagles.com/sports/2009/5/15/MBB_0515092025.aspx?id=26

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Pearl

2 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Because of:

A) $12.5 million reasons

B) Quinn Buckner & co.

C) Most people that donate, may support Woodson or the support of NIL support to buy a team.

I want Woodson gone like most on here, but I keep saying this, Woodson will be back next year.

gawd I hope you're wrong. :D

43 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Do we think Pearl would be able to recruit the state? I know he has won everywhere he's been but preferably the next coach is also able to reverse the current trends with ND, PU, Butler and ISU all having serious momentum in-state.

Yes, him and Haralson are already boys too

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Owens is listed on their "all time roster" as having played there 1997-1999 and Pearl was HC from 1992-2001... so I'd say yes.

https://usiscreamingeagles.com/sports/2009/5/15/MBB_0515092025.aspx?id=26

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Pearl

Not sure how personally involved Owens is in Notre Dame’s recruitment of Sisley, Haralson and Mullins…… I assume very involved… I certainly like the sound of that

38 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Sounds like he was in a better position to land Flory than Woodson. Bruce Pearl is a name that every kid in the country knows. I think Bruce Pearl understands the history of Indiana High School basketball and the amount of talent it has produced over the years. I also believe that Bruce Pearl has total belief in the system he runs and the kinds of players that fit and is going to recruit the best fits regardless of geography. 

That exactly it!  He knows what and believes in the system he runs and knows what types of players needed to make his system work.  Unlike Woodson, who doesn’t know what system he’s running and what type of players fits his system.  His recruiting tactic is recruiting the best players possible to mask any coaching deficiencies he has. Well that backfired on him! 

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

gawd I hope you're wrong. :D

Me too, but old buddy Quinn screwed us again by lobbying for Woodson’s $1 million raise and adding onto his contract.  He got that just for making the tournament, just think how much he would have got he would have made the sweet 16, elite 8 or final 4?

2 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Me too, but old buddy Quinn screwed us again by lobbying for Woodson’s $1 million raise and adding onto his contract.  He got that just for making the tournament, just think how much he would have got he would have made the sweet 16, elite 8 or final 4?

I don't think we'd care and this thread most likely wouldn't exist if he made any of those.

43 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

You think most guys on the current iu roster are there for an education and not NIL? Why is nobody ever academically ineligible anymore. The student athlete no longer exists at least nowhere near what it once was.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

It's much different today than it was back in the day.  With remote learning and academic staffs getting thru college is much easier for them.  So yes, I think they are there for an education, or at least they should be.  Where is Gallo going without an IU degree?  Leal?  Cupps?  Heck, even X.  The NIL money is a flash in the pan for these guys and will be gone -- it won't support them for a lifetime.  

2 hours ago, jumpshot53 said:

Just curious, but which coach is squeaky clean?  Alford protecting a player who did bad things, Coach K allowing homes to be bought for players, every UNC coach.  The list goes on and on.  Is it just part of the game?  Even Knight allowed his best players to stay on the team when they pulled an Xavier Johnson.  I'm really curious, is there a coach out there that didn't do something we might call shady?  I really don't know.

Will Wade

6 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

.....old buddy Quinn screwed us again by lobbying for Woodson’s $1 million raise and adding onto his contract......

How do we know this? For that matter, how do we know anything about any of the speculation being presented on here?

As I've mentioned before, I don't have a list of favorites rather my list is names I don't want to see roaming the IU sidelines.  Mixed emotions on a couple of the names being tossed about but I could accept them if they were hired.  Regardless if a change is made this year or next year, there won't be 100% acceptance just as there wouldn't have been 100% acceptance had it been Donovan or Stevens and not Woodson.  Just a fact of life.

7 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

It's much different today than it was back in the day.  With remote learning and academic staffs getting thru college is much easier for them.  So yes, I think they are there for an education, or at least they should be.  Where is Gallo going without an IU degree?  Leal?  Cupps?  Heck, even X.  The NIL money is a flash in the pan for these guys and will be gone -- it won't support them for a lifetime.  

I think a better argument is that yes indeed they get a lot of support, so there's no reason not to do your school work these days. If I had a tutor helping me, my grades would sure as hell be much better than they were. 

1 minute ago, AnotherSznOnTheBrink said:

Some of the Peegs insiders confirmed Dolson didn’t want to give it to him. So people inferred that QB did. 

And Peegs insiders can be trusted because.....? Haven't we been burned by "insiders" before?

This all seems like so much of a "rinse and repeat" of every coaching replacement (or possible coaching replacement) thread over the last number of years. Seems like we are stuck in a Groudhog's Day of some sort.

We speculate endlessly without much of a shred of fact that anything at all is going to happen. Lucy, bring that football over here.

1 minute ago, Tom White said:

And Peegs insiders can be trusted because.....? Haven't we been burned by "insiders" before?

This all seems like so much of a "rinse and repeat" of every coaching replacement (or possible coaching replacement) thread over the last number of years. Seems like we are stuck in a Groudhog's Day of some sort.

We speculate endlessly without much of a shred of fact that anything at all is going to happen. Lucy, bring that football over here.

I mean, they could be wrong. But in this case we are almost a year removed from the administrative decision in question. Seems like that would be less likely to be wrong than speculating IU is going to land X recruit or Y coach. 

I think what would be most exciting about a pearl hire is that is a serious name with serious cache. Pulling someone like Pearl from Auburn would show the kind of program power we all believe is lurking beneath the surface in spite of what our rivals say about dusty banners. I’d be excited with May, really anyone other than Woody, but poaching a coach like Pearl would instantly make IU front page news nationally. 

Not bitter. Not at all. Just don't like that he reported a school to the NCAA for breaking rules, then committed his own violations. I find it sorta sleazy. 
You are cool with a potential Pearl hire. That's fine.
Some aren't. It's OK to have different opinions. 
I mean yeah but it happened a long time ago. Heck shooter got a second chance in hoosiers..

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Not sure how personally involved Owens is in Notre Dame’s recruitment of Sisley, Haralson and Mullins…… I assume very involved… I certainly like the sound of that

Owen’s was down to see Trent the other day. I do know that the Sisley family are huge fans of Walsh as well and say he has done a good job with Trent recruitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk