Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

What cheating did he do?  I know he lied to the NCAA about having a recruit at a cookout (seems minor, even the lying part).  What were the others?

While an assistant at Iowa, he recorded a recruit (being recruited by Illinois) where he basically admitted that he had received impermissible benefits (a truck I believe). The incident resulted in Illinois basically getting a slap on the wrist (I think 1 year post season ban) and Pearl basically painted a huge target on his back for fellow coaches because he essentially "snitched" is my understanding.

So it's no surprise he'd get dinged years later for something silly as a BBQ. People have long memories

30 minutes ago, HoosierMoore said:

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

just kidding!  My buddy played for Pearl and loved him. To each his own

Oooooooh, you were so close to getting the Hammer of Thor!   lol

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

For the record, I am diametrically opposed to a Bruce Pearl hire. 

But -- and this is putting the cart way, way, way ahead of the horse, if it happens (and I still don't believe it will), can we please get the guy a shirt that fits!!! 

LOL! 

Auburn Coach Bruce Pearl Previews Matchup Against Indiana - Sports  Illustrated Indiana Hoosiers News, Analysis and More

Don't worry, Clif will get working on that body right away.

41 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Just my opinion but Bruce Pearl is not IUBB. His entire coaching history is shade. I have no problem saying this having experienced him walking around campus during the golden years at USI. Dolson would be taking the biggest risk for the program should he decide to him. 

Bruce Pearl is a consistent winner, which certainly hasn't been Indiana the last 30 years.  So you are right about Bruce Pearl not being IUBB. 

Pearl’s sleaziness doesn’t bother me in even the slightest. It’s entirely in the context of college basketball. He’s not out there doing the Beard. He just does what it takes to succeed in college basketball, and he does it well. Sign me up. The IU way gets us 4 sweet 16s in 30 years. 

I am surprised to still see some mentioning Brad Stevens name as a hopeful candidate. Brad has been out of the college game for over a decade now and out of coaching all together for the last 3 years. He also has 0 experience in the NIL world. The more time that goes on IMO he becomes less and less of a desirable candidate.

22 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Get with the times or get left behind. We are hanging on by a thread. And hell, anymore, is there anything you can do to actually get in trouble with the NCAA?

I get where you're coming from, but I don't get this reasoning. You presuppose that you have to cheat or bend the rules to win. Coaches known for being "by the book" -  Brad Stevens, Roy Williams, Tony Bennett, Matt Painter, Jay Wright, Tom Izzo, John Beilein. 

We all want to win. I think that those of us who also want us to run a clean program with a good man as head coach also have valid points. 

1 minute ago, SamIam said:

I get where you're coming from, but I don't get this reasoning. You presuppose that you have to cheat or bend the rules to win. Coaches known for being "by the book" -  Brad Stevens, Roy Williams, Tony Bennett, Matt Painter, Jay Wright, Tom Izzo, John Beilein. 

We all want to win. I think that those of us who also want us to run a clean program with a good man as head coach also have valid points. 

Izzo and Painter have had a few issues that I really don't want to bring up in this thread.  I don't know about the others.

20 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

This is were I think degrees matter. Beard= absolutely not.   Pearl might be sleazy but I hate to say it , but a majority of coaches are a bit sleazy. I would classify Roy Willams and Coach K as sleazy in their own way.  When you're adults trying to recruit under 18 year old kids and trying to beat another school for a recruit things get sleazy.  Sleazy within the realm of basketball is fine with me. Horrible acts like  well beard is a no no. There's a line.   

Don't forget Sparty Tom... pretty slimy in his own right.

5 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Did you mean to include the bolded? Roy’s players took fake classes, and Izzo’s players assaulted women.

Painter and Jay Wright aren’t clean either, but wanted to separate them out from the other two. 

31 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

What cheating did he do?  I know he lied to the NCAA about having a recruit at a cookout (seems minor, even the lying part).  What were the others?

Had a violation (pretty minor) at Milwaukee and got dinged for having Chuck Person on staff at Auburn. Person got hooked up in the recruiting scandal a few years back and faced federal charges. Pearl reportedly didn't cooperate with the investigation -- the whole thing got him a two-game suspension and Auburn four years of probation. 

The easy argument is that the Milwaukee and Tennessee things were minor, and that he didn't do anything at Auburn -- that Person was the guilty party. But Pearl is responsible for his staff and their actions. 

And I'm sorry, though I detest the U. of Illinois -- it bugs me that he ratted them out, then had his own transgressions down the line. IMO, if he was gonna drop dime on the U of I, he needed to keep his nose clean. And he did not. 

People will disagree with me, and want Pearl at IU. And that's fine. I just don't care for the guy and it's not likely anything will change my mind. 

Well -- maybe a natty will. LOL! 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Pearl’s sleaziness doesn’t bother me in even the slightest. It’s entirely in the context of college basketball. He’s not out there doing the Beard. He just does what it takes to succeed in college basketball, and he does it well. Sign me up. The IU way gets us 4 sweet 16s in 30 years. 

Yeah, I doubt any winning program is 100% clean; just shades of gray, especially since the NCAA doesn't really care. A recruit at a cookout? Whatever, I care as much about that as Sampson's text messages. 

Fake classes or hookers would definitely be too far.

Just now, LamarCheeks said:

Had a violation (pretty minor) at Milwaukee and got dinged for having Chuck Person on staff at Auburn. Person got hooked up in the recruiting scandal a few years back and faced federal charges. Pearl reportedly didn't cooperate with the investigation -- got him a two-game suspension and Auburn four years of probation. 

The easy argument is that the Milwaukee and Tennessee things were minor, and that he didn't do anything at Auburn -- that Person did. But he's responsible for his staff and their actions. 

And I'm sorry, though I detest the U. of Illinois -- it bugs me that he ratted them out, then had his own transgressions down the line. IMO, if he was gonna drop dime on the U of I, he needed to keep his nose clean. And he did not. 

People will disagree with me, and want Pearl at IU. And that's fine. I just don't care for the guy and it's not likely anything will change my mind. 

Well -- maybe a natty will. LOL! 

Could it be that he ratted them out, saw that it had little impact and said "well when in Rome..."