Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nothing about him suggests that he, at 66 years old, will suddenly have an entire personality switch and be open to change. Yet that’s being pushed as a reason to keep him lol. Those posters may hope he changes, but there’s no reason to believe that he will. 

Yep. It's really just "he'll change.....I hope".

Indiana loves to keep bad coaches too long. It's cost us recruits before and now keeping Woodson could cost us the likes of Sisley and Mullins. 

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I have explained my thoughts on that at length. Not going to keep doing so.

May is Phil Jackson - he will win the press conference, fans will be excited until year 4 when he is on hot seat.

Phil Jackson can't raise his hands above his head.  The rings are too heavy.  :)  

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

May is Phil Jackson - he will win the press conference, fans will be excited until year 4 when he is on hot seat.

If you have explained it I have not seen it. So I will ask again. Who are these "better options" and why do we have to wait for them?

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

It's not something we're going to have to worry about till this time next season. As of right now, he's getting next year. He's going to get a chance to improve through the portal. The only way I see us making a change is if we would happen to go 0-8 to finish the season. 

So, you're saying there's a chance?

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He turns 66 this next month. 

Oh I know, but we hired him at 62.  They didn't sell this as a guy that 4 years later at age 66 would still be "learning" that guards and shooting 3's and rebounding and recruiting and...on and on is important.  You don't hire a guy his age to learn on the job.  You hire them to win now.  There were several people pointing out the red flag of hiring Matta to hold his hand but I think some felt, "Well, this looks really risky but at least we have that steady hand back there to advise..."  Hearsay is Woodson never listened and the advisors left or were fired.  

I knew a long time ago that he wasn't going anywhere next year and I think that is a bigger gamble than getting a new guy.  I wish I had the FU money of the guys that they go through for bailouts for all their poor mistakes because if I were them the next buyout would come with all sorts of strings.  The same dipshits would not be given another chance to screw this up if this gamble doesn't pay off.  I can't believe that these people who had to have some form of intelligence to earn and maintain their wealth have allowed themselves to be hoodwinked by these doofuses so often in the past 10 to 15 years.  Must be nice to have the money to literally light on fire.  A million dollar cash bonfire in front of Assembly Hall is basically what IU does with its donor's money every 5 years.

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nothing about him suggests that he, at 66 years old, will suddenly have an entire personality switch and be open to change. Yet that’s being pushed as a reason to keep him lol. Those posters may hope he changes, but there’s no reason to believe that he will. 

You could tell he had a massive ego from the jump how he always talked about himself in 3rd person.  Like him detailing his initial interview with Dolson.  "Scott wanted to do a Zoom.  I told him if you want to talk to Mike Woodson you gotta fly out to Mike Woodson.  Or you can fly Mike Woodson out to you.  Mike Woodson doesn't do zoom or phone calls".  Something like that.  He's not going to change.

You could tell he had a massive ego from the jump how he always talked about himself in 3rd person.  Like him detailing his initial interview with Dolson.  "Scott wanted to do a Zoom.  I told him if you want to talk to Mike Woodson you gotta fly out to Mike Woodson.  Or you can fly Mike Woodson out to you.  Mike Woodson doesn't do zoom or phone calls".  Something like that.  He's not going to change.
Yep why are stuck with him for probably at least two more years. He is full of himself and is probably clueless how pissed people are.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I forgot about that. Definitely speaks to his ego. Twice fired nba head coach who had been out of coaching entirely for two of the three previous years acting like that, lol. Confidence is fine, and you need a lot of it to succeed in this job. But when you don’t succeed you just look like an egomaniac. 

22 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

The same Phil Jackson that won 11 championships? Sign me up.

2 minutes ago, ISP said:

Ok guys, I wasted 2 hours of my life charting out the top 50 KenPom teams and how their rank compares to their expected rank (average of last 4 recruiting classes). 

Remember, @Ngw7183 tells us that FAU is just barely holding on by a thread this year *wink*wink

Turns out that Indiana State and FAU are the #1 and #3 teams in terms of where they are ranked compared to their talent level / recruiting classes. 

I ran IU's numbers as well just for comparison rank. 

Indiana State is ranked 131 spots higher than "they should be"

FAU is ranked 113 spots higher than "they should be". 

IU is ranked 78 spots lower than "they should be". 

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 10.49.47 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 10.50.41 AM.png

Congrats on finding a metric for this season where we totally blow Kensucky, Duke, Kansas, Baylor, UNC, etc. out of the water lol

Let's say that Dolson has some awareness that we lose out on many major in state recruits because of Woody's play style. 

And schools like Ohio State start going after Dusty. I would think he would  have to have a talk with Woody about retirement or has a serious talk about actionable changes. 

Look firing a coach after 3 years generally isn't a good thing. But context matters. This is a guy who came as a short term hire. He was supposed to turn things around quickly and stabilize things.  He hasn't, and if you have a guy who can fix things you move now. 

You got to stop the bleeding before it gets worse.

17-14 is where I think the regular season ends. Throw darts on a dart board how you think we'll get there, but looking at the schedule I find 3 more wins.

Definitely not bad enough to get him fired IMO. Unfortunately I don't think he's going anywhere after this season. 

Better get used to the fact he's back next year. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

Let's say that Dolson has some awareness that we lose out on many major in state recruits because of Woody's play style. 

And schools like Ohio State start going after Dusty. I would think he would  have to have a talk with Woody about retirement or has a serious talk about actionable changes. 

Look firing a coach after 3 years generally isn't a good thing. But context matters. This is a guy who came as a short term hire. He was supposed to turn things around quickly and stabilize things.  He hasn't, and if you have a guy who can fix things you move now. 

You got to stop the bleeding before it gets worse.

What worries me is when I'm told that Woodson is going to get the chance to get us back on track. To me that suggests that the administration thinks we were on track the last two seasons.