Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Everyone saying $6 million NIL but let’s break this down on how much we have for guys that should be seeing playing time for a competitive team. 

Leal - About $300k, maybe slightly higher

Cupps - if he’s leaning towards transferring, and he was a starter majority of the season, probably $400k to keep him

Newton - $150k, as Chris said that was lowest amount for anyone on the roster. 

Sparks - if he returns, probably $200-250k

we’re spending over $1 million on guys that would be probably the bottom 4 on a Kansas, Duke, UNC. 

Gallo, MM, MR probably will make close to 2.8 between the 3 of them. Say we’ve filled 7 roster spots and have spent almost $4m of the $6m. Doesn’t leave much leftover when you have to spend so much on the bottom guys. Probably why we’ll only have 11-12 scholarships in use 

The more and more I reflect on our situation, the more and more I realize how crappy it is. We have turned a former IU hero and Knight-era legend into a program killer. It's almost insidious what's happening here. We are damned either way- damned if we push out an IU great after 3 yrs and damned if we let him run this program into further mediocrity. 

But I was assured IU would get everyone we wanted immediately out of the portal because of $$. 
Not only that but Alabama is still playing. We were told iu could not play and do the portal at the same time. Unreal.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

The more and more I reflect on our situation, the more and more I realize how crappy it is. We have turned a former IU hero and Knight-era legend into a program killer. It's almost insidious what's happening here. We are damned either way- damned if we push out an IU great after 3 yrs and damned if we let him run this program into further mediocrity. 

We didn't turn him into anything none of us wanted him hired. Woodson and quinn did this to themselves and have now cemented their legacies.

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Not only that but Alabama is still playing. We were told iu could not play and do the portal at the same time. Unreal.

With golf and cigars and wine Woodson's schedule is pretty packed. How could he possibly fit games AND recruiting into that?

Just now, Hornsby said:

We didn't turn him into anything none of us wanted him hired. Woodson and quinn did this to themselves and have now cemented their legacies.

i didn't mean that we the fans have turned him...i said that poorly. 

Just now, Adillac said:

This is why a lot of us didn't want an IU guy hired in the first place. The only way it's a win is if he wins a lot and there just aren't any ex-players who are good coaches. The best is probably Alford and he is only good at the mid-major level plus he has the Pierce baggage.

So the most likely scenario was always the one that we're seeing now. Ex-player comes in and doesn't do well. Fans get angry and turn on him but the school doesn't fire him because he's an ex-player so has friends in high places.

4 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

The difference is that Alabama has a competent coaching staff.

4 minutes ago, JF87 said:

And Alabama plays a fun and exciting brand of offense which happens to be analytically sound.  

Like I said, a competent coaching staff.

So far it looks like Woodson will get to buy at least 6 players and I assume it will end up being more. Sophomores leaving to be replaced by one year rent a players.