Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Wisconsin - Friday, 01.19.24 @ 8:30 ET on FS1

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

People swore up and down that Woodson didn’t want to play two traditional bigs but had to because we had TJD and Race. 

Because that’s exactly what he said last year.   He was playing them because he had to but would change it up after TJD left.    Clearly he lied( as a lot of coaches do)

49 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Didn't watch or listen.  Felt in my heart this is exactly what would happen.  Fisch's quote "I am embarrassed of this ball club. Not because of the score."   To hear that from Fisch is almost unimagineable.

Woody:  "I have to get them over the hump."  Me:  "Woody, you can't  get them over a dried up piece of grass lying on the sidewalk without stubbing their toes."

What 'punishment' does CJ receive?  Can't hold him out of the starting lineup since he doesn't start.

Everything needs to be in place for the minute the '24 portal season opens and the AAU season starts for a new coach to begin to replace this roster.

Defense was lacking the whole game.  Offense was a lot better in the second half.  Probably because Wisconsin slacked off some on defense in the 2nd half.

Coach Woody is not putting the team and the players into position to win.  

I do not get why he does not get it.

What is he thinking?  What are all of the assistant coaches thinking and saying to him?  Is the AD talking to the coach?

Right now IU is out of the NCAAT.  This will not stand.

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I haven't watch a game since the Rutgers game.

I've been saying that since X pulled his stunt in the Rutgers game... I was told to knock it off... but the fact that social media, the fan base and others are coming around to my position brings me no joy. X is selfish, immature, and there's no place for him to hide anymore. 

And then there's the fact that Woody is stubborn and will not adapt, nor will he enact any consequences for X (not starting 2 games? c'mon, man) or Gunn is incredibly telling. Lack of consequences for bad behavior only send the message that he condones that behavior. Woody really downplayed the whole Gunn elbow/ejection in the post game presser...

Yes, the real problem is Woodson, his stubbornness and lack of accountability for his players, coaches and himself.  He is now starting to lose the fanbase like Archie did and Archie wasn’t quite this fast.  He needs to turn it around and do it in a hurry or all he*l will break loose.  Probably the 1st thing he should do is get rid of the cancer, but we know that won’t happen but at the very least hold a press conference denouncing X as captain and appointing Reneau as an interim captain, at the very least.  He needs to sit X and Gunn for a few games, I know it’s already down the road on X but you can’t suspend Gunn without have the same consequences for X.  Start holding players accountable, on and off the floor, and that includes performance.  I know something has to happen but I don’t know what that is or should be but its got to happen today 

Good thing it's a full week before our next game and even then Ware may be questionable.  From the Indy Star.

Indiana coach Mike Woodson told reporters after the game he didn't have a timeline for Ware's return to the lineup.  "He came down on somebody's foot and turned his ankle," Woodson said. "It blew up on us."

42 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I think we all knew wins would be hard to come by in this stretch. It’s compounded by not grabbing a couple of easier wins earlier and being totally uncompetitive.  

I like Sparks and think there is a limited role for him, but any small glimmer of hope I had for last night was dashed seeing him start. I can’t even wrap my mind around Woody’s thought process of being wedded to two traditional bigs. It’s a like a 1990’s NBA style of basketball thinking or something. 

Exactly!  I understand Ware and Reneau starting together, but last night could have been a golden opportunity to try something different.  He could have started Reneau, Mgbako, Gunn (be the flagrant foul, lol), Trey and Cupps.  Why does he have to be locked into this 2 bigs lineup?  He could have played a lineup that is truly 4 out and 1 in.  Wow, what a missed opportunity for him to try to remove that darn stubbornness label.  He just proved us all right!  Dumb-butt

Good thing it's a full week before our next game and even then Ware may be questionable.  From the Indy Star.
Indiana coach Mike Woodson told reporters after the game he didn't have a timeline for Ware's return to the lineup.  "He came down on somebody's foot and turned his ankle," Woodson said. "It blew up on us."
If it's a few weeks and this don't get better he probably won't come back imo

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Didn't watch or listen.  Felt in my heart this is exactly what would happen.  Fisch's quote "I am embarrassed of this ball club. Not because of the score."   To hear that from Fisch is almost unimagineable.

Woody:  "I have to get them over the hump."  Me:  "Woody, you can't  get them over a dried up piece of grass lying on the sidewalk without stubbing their toes."

What 'punishment' does CJ receive?  Can't hold him out of the starting lineup since he doesn't start.

Everything needs to be in place for the minute the '24 portal season opens and the AAU season starts for a new coach to begin to replace this roster.

I agree and I’m glad to see you write this — really respect the way you’ve been careful with your words even in down times over the years.

It makes me feel a little less nutty. I think I’m pretty well checked out of emotional investment game-to-game, until/unless next year’s team looks better

I outlined elsewhere that I think a ‘25 transition seems more likely due to a variety of factors, but I’m ready for something sooner.

32 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Because that’s exactly what he said last year.   He was playing them because he had to but would change it up after TJD left.    Clearly he lied( as a lot of coaches do)

I think we all knew in our hearts what was going to happen when we spent our offseason bringing in Ware, Walker and Sparks but no perimeters. 

Even still, Ware is a solid player and I think a good coach could make him and Reneau work—and Woodys made it work at times this year. But when a guy goes out and you have to go to the bench to reconfigure things a little, I can not fathom why you would want Sparks to pair with Reneau. 

I guess it is for defensive purposes but Wahl is not a rugged big. I don’t see why Walker or Mbako couldn’t take a stab at covering him. 

Also something else that needs to change, Woodson needs to be more transparent about things.  We all need to know what form of action and accountability will he take!  Taking care of it in house is a load of crap.  We are all paying these players salaries, doesn’t that make us stakeholders? 

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Exactly!  I understand Ware and Reneau starting together, but last night could have been a golden opportunity to try something different.  He could have started Reneau, Mgbako, Gunn (be the flagrant foul, lol), Trey and Cupps.  Why does he have to be locked into this 2 bigs lineup?  He could have played a lineup that is truly 4 out and 1 in.  Wow, what a missed opportunity for him to try to remove that darn stubbornness label.  He just proved us all right!  Dumb-butt

I also hoped, with Ware out, that Woody would actually try what he calls “his offense” and go with 1 in and 4 out.  
That being said, a 1 in and 4 out offense, with Trey, Cupps and Gunn being 3 of the 4 out players, reinforces how poorly the roster is constructed. Coaches could pack the paint against that lineup (which I guess they do anyway.LOL) and just have one guy track MM.

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Also something else that needs to change, Woodson needs to be more transparent about things.  We all need to know what form of action and accountability will he take!  Taking care of it in house is a load of crap.  We are all paying these players salaries, doesn’t that make us stakeholders? 

I disagree. Many coaches (Knight included back in the day) don’t give the exact details of punishments that are put in place nor have I ever worked anywhere in which upper management announced to everyone that “Fred” misbehaved/underperformed etc and this is exactly what we are doing to Fred (unless Fred was fired). Personnel matters are personal.

Now do I think guys like X should be held accountable? Yes.

WHAT HAPPENED?  IU leading the nation in their own version of intramural ball at the rec center and that’s how they look when they play.

On a dialed down basis without frustration driving my thinking, I think a lot of the “product” we’re seeing on the floor highlights how much we miss JHS - or a comparable guard.

TJD was outstanding, but Ware’s pretty damn good, if we had JHS right now (and with Bako on the wing) we’d be a lot better.

Blame lays squarely on Woodson and staff imo for failing to go out and get guards knowing JHS was very likely gone and seeing how many games his play - and scoring- was critical to our W’s. The 2 big up front game doesn’t work Woodson, it’s not the 80’s. 

Frustrated as I am too though, I’m in the camp that doesn’t see another coaching change this quickly - 3 years - as either likely or a good idea. Think he’ll get another off-season and season to see if he rights the ship (assuming this season continues off the rails).
Portal can mske a big difference in 1 season, but it has to be playmaking / scoring guards and the outside game has to be part of it.

On a dialed down basis without frustration driving my thinking, I think a lot of the “product” we’re seeing on the floor highlights how much we miss JHS - or a comparable guard.
TJD was outstanding, but Ware’s pretty damn good, if we had JHS right now (and with Bako on the wing) we’d be a lot better.
Blame lays squarely on Woodson and staff imo for failing to go out and get guards knowing JHS was very likely gone and seeing how many games his play - and scoring- was critical to our W’s. The 2 big up front game doesn’t work Woodson, it’s not the 80’s. 

Frustrated as I am too though, I’m in the camp that doesn’t see another coaching change this quickly - 3 years - as either likely or a good idea. Think he’ll get another off-season and season to see if he rights the ship (assuming this season continues off the rails).
Portal can mske a big difference in 1 season, but it has to be playmaking / scoring guards and the outside game has to be part of it.
The portal isn't the fix some think it will be. The main issue is Woodson outdated system. As long as he continues with it we arent going anywhere. Last in the big ten in three point attempts.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk