Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

2 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

Bill (RIP) and his wife Gayle, and now their son Carl, are billionaires. Carl being the richest man in Indiana at an estimated $10.7 billion. The other 2 in the state are Irsay and Simon.

Pete does very well I am sure in his top spot with Cook, and is actively involved in IU Sports and NIL Collectives alongside the Cooks, but I don't believe he is anywhere near a billionaire. 

Thanks for sharing. Appreciate the correction. I don't want to say the wrong things.  

7 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Thanks for sharing. Appreciate the correction. I don't want to say the wrong things.  

No problem, and your point still stands. Having Pete around IU as an alumni + the connection to the Cooks is a positive for IU in terms of NIL, resources, etc. IMO.

I can also guarantee I'd swap my net worth with Pete's any day, even if it's not a billion dollars haha. 

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

Thanks for the background.  I only listened to the podcast but wondered who the person was who was interviewing Cigs.  2 degrees from IU, president of Cook since 2013 and has been actively involved in "start-ups".  If the $3B net worth is accurate, and he has some friends in that range he may just be the perfect guy to have involved.  He is even good running the podcast but it seems he has a background doing that as well.  Certainly, feeling better about Cigs answer to his question.

To be fair, I am not sure about the net worth value as someone has come on here to clarify my statement made. I was confusing Mr. Yonkman, with Carl Cook.  

6 hours ago, Lebowski said:

In the meantime, be present, enjoy this ride folks. We got ourselves a coach!

Until this past year, I've not followed iufb anywhere near as close as I have iubb. I have however, recognized that you sir. have brought endless enthusiasm regarding this football program for as long as I can remember.  As Coach Cig has really been bringing the results, I'm often reminded of the Joy you have had for the program and how awsome it is for you and others to enjoy the fruits of the principles that Coach has mended into this part of the university. -- Go Hoosiers!

13 minutes ago, maxwell said:

Until this past year, I've not followed iufb anywhere near as close as I have iubb. I have however, recognized that you sir. have brought endless enthusiasm regarding this football program for as long as I can remember.  As Coach Cig has really been bringing the results, I'm often reminded of the Joy you have had for the program and how awsome it is for you and others to enjoy the fruits of the principles that Coach has mended into this part of the university. -- Go Hoosiers!

The Dude abides. 

9 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I have read JMU interviews in which Cig mentions his old recliner (although it was only 31 years old then LOL), he mentioned that he and his wife loved Harrisonburg and that JMU was his last stop.  Sounds familiar, doesn’t it. Do I think he is being insincere in this current interview? No I don’t but things/perspective can change when new opportunities open up.

We cannot know what he might do without knowing his career goal. Maybe he would love to finish his career rebuilding a traditional national power (Florida?) or perhaps he is happy at the current level he has reached (ie he finally landed a P5 job and a very substantial pay raise). Who knows, Cig might not even know but certain programs “sales pitches” might turn his head…or maybe not.

All the speculation will be a moot point if we only win 1-2 of our last games but will skyrocket if we win 10-11.
In any case I’m just going to enjoy this season.

Yep, enjoy the 2024 IU football season.

Coach is being honest in Interview.  

He is parked here and things are going well.  However, his car is not broken down and has plenty of gas to drive to the airport at the end of this season or future seasons.
 Winning at this rate…his name is coming up on major fan message forums (for what that’s worth) including the Florida Gators.

27 minutes ago, TTT said:

Yep, enjoy the 2024 IU football season.

Coach is being honest in Interview.  

He is parked here and things are going well.  However, his car is not broken down and has plenty of gas to drive to the airport at the end of this season or future seasons.
 Winning at this rate…his name is coming up on major fan message forums (for what that’s worth) including the Florida Gators.

I agree. If we are serious about competing with the big boys, we need to compete in the compensation arena as well. Pay him enough and he will probably stay.

16 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I agree. If we are serious about competing with the big boys, we need to compete in the compensation arena as well. Pay him enough and he will probably stay.

If money is an issue we will keep him. Because no amount of money will be ‘too much’.

A winning program pays for itself; in ticket sales, merch, donor interest … all of that.

Hell, Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer attracted so much interest for a then ‘solid school’ University of Florida that it turned it into a very difficult school to get into academically and thereafter a top 25 academic institution nationally.

9 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I agree. If we are serious about competing with the big boys, we need to compete in the compensation arena as well. Pay him enough and he will probably 

https://sportsdata.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

Coach Cignetti is ranked 49th @ $4.25 million a year on this list. Mike Locksley of Maryland is the closest BIGTEN coach at #37 @ $5.8 mil. 
IU will definitely need to increase Coach Cignetti and his staff’s salary to keep other schools away. 

1 minute ago, Artie86 said:

Coach Cignetti is ranked 49th @ $4.25 million a year on this list. Mike Locksley of Maryland is the closest BIGTEN coach at #37 @ $5.8 mil. 
IU will definitely need to increase Coach Cignetti and his staff’s salary to keep other schools away. 

College athletics today is a marketplace. Whether for players or coaches, you have to be able to make wise decisions about who you keep and who you let go. The trick is being smart about value. 

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

I think his aspirations, and who really knows what those are, could possibly be a far bigger issue/factor than IU coming up with the compensation. I’m confident  we will come up with the necessary cash but will that satisfy what he wants?   Who knows?

Let’s beat Nebraska Saturday.

It is funny how many teams, both good, average and bad are already dismissing Coach Cignetti staying at IU for the long haul. Who knows what he will do,.... but most everyone has mentioned IU football as a "doormat school" and there is no way he would want to stay here long term. IU can be a big time football school if Cignetti's given the tools and resources like other power 5 programs. Let's face it, his salary will have to be increased if he continues to win and may have to be doubled or close to it....JMO

12 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

It is funny how many teams, both good, average and bad are already dismissing Coach Cignetti staying at IU for the long haul. Who knows what he will do,.... but most everyone has mentioned IU football as a "doormat school" and there is no way he would want to stay here long term. IU can be a big time football school if Cignetti's given the tools and resources like other power 5 programs. Let's face it, his salary will have to be increased if he continues to win and may have to be doubled or close to it....JMO

I like the phrase "dormant school" much better and want to believe that we're finally coming out of our extended period of hibernation.

10 hours ago, Artie86 said:

Any idea where we rank on NIL and staff salary?  I think those will be just as important to keep on par.

2 hours ago, Artie86 said:

^THIS!!!!

I also like hearing Coach Cig say, "I operate best as an underdog." The entire country and even some folks on here have a perception that IUFB isn't a desired place to win, because it hasn't. He's got something to prove. I mentioned in this thread that if IU wanted to be serious they should hire a guy with that kind of mindset and a solid resume, an older guy preferably. Someone that wants to create a legacy, and doing it at IU (the most losing program in FBS history) is the perfect double middle finger to all the "doormat school" mother effers that think this way. The perfect underdog story. 

Fact of the matter, Dolson hired the perfect coach for this scenario. He'll get paid, either by IU or somewhere else, but I take comfort in the administration knowing they're not effin' around with the football program anymore. Us IUFB faithful have finally got a top to bottom approach that's been missing here.

In the meantime, two sellouts already with a third right around the corner. 

We'll be fine folks. 

27 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

^THIS!!!!

I also like hearing Coach Cig say, "I operate best as an underdog." The entire country and even some folks on here have a perception that IUFB isn't a desired place to win, because it hasn't. He's got something to prove. I mentioned in this thread that if IU wanted to be serious they should hire a guy with that kind of mindset and a solid resume, an older guy preferably. Someone that wants to create a legacy, and doing it at IU (the most losing program in FBS history) is the perfect double middle finger to all the "doormat school" mother effers that think this way. The perfect underdog story. 

Fact of the matter, Dolson hired the perfect coach for this scenario. He'll get paid, either by IU or somewhere else, but I take comfort in the administration knowing they're not effin' around with the football program anymore. Us IUFB faithful have finally got a top to bottom approach that's been missing here.

In the meantime, two sellouts already with a third right around the corner. 

We'll be fine folks. 

Scott Dolson and everyone associated with IU football, fans, alumni, boosters, etc., have seen what IU football "can" look like/be like right now and in the future. I think Dolson would not want to mess this thing up because she'z rollin'! He has stated how much he likes Scott Dolson's vision and his investment in the IU program moving forward.

"Making IU Football Great Again"! lol