Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

End of the day I do hope we can all be respectful to Woody while voicing frustrations. The boos while during the game I would’ve likely been joining if I was there, just feel wrong.I want woody to succeed but if that’s not going to happen I hope he steps aside soon so we can at least remember him in somewhat of a good light. He seems like a great guy. This is the problem with hiring a former player.

Agree. Bad spot we find ourselves in. Again.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

33 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

How ‘effing hard is it for Indiana to be good at basketball? This program has fielded one legitimately good team in the last 20 years (2012-13). Is a top 15-20 team, at minimum, on a near annual basis so difficult for a program with all of the resources anyone could possibly need? We are literally paying players at this point to come here and we still suck. 

I agree with where you’re coming from. And I think the answer is “it can be very hard to be good at basketball when your approach is wrong”.

You can drive a nail with a crescent wrench, but not nearly as well as you can with a hammer.

In my opinion, as a program, Indiana abandoned the philosophies and approaches that made us great in basketball. And until we return to those, it may not change.

Coach Knight had a sound, winning philosophy and approach to the game, and inserted capable players into that system, and it was very effective and successful (plus he was a genius, or near genius).

I think we strayed from that, and really have never fully gotten back to it since.

Rant

Needing people to hype up a decision or a person. People aren’t stupid and the majority can see through the BS.

If you hire someone and pay them a lot of money for their expert advice you don’t need to pay more money to consult just to hear the same advice on industry standards. Going behind them to attempt to gather consensus makes you look a fool and slows the maturity of your program while you’re attempting to save face.

The same can be said for many things in life. You don’t need MSM or sports talking heads to tell you something is great when the evidence proves otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 hours ago, IU_FanClub said:

End of the day I do hope we can all be respectful to Woody while voicing frustrations. The boos while during the game I would’ve likely been joining if I was there, just feel wrong.I want woody to succeed but if that’s not going to happen I hope he steps aside soon so we can at least remember him in somewhat of a good light. He seems like a great guy. This is the problem with hiring a former player.

People at the game said the boos were more directed at the officials...

58 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

While it’s possible he will be, It feels more likely that Woody won’t be the coach after this season.

And if I were a betting man, I’d say it’s more likely that Dusty May will be the coach than Woody by the end of April.

I would be shocked if Woodson stepped down after this year.

5 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Chris Beard would turn the program around in one season, and he has the personality to be a great fit for a large fan base (former knight assist, plus if anyone has watched his fireside chats would go crazy for that at IU)… however he comes with baggage. It would require IU to swing big and be ready when the inevitable scandal arrives in B town. Michigan is no stranger to this with this season. Supposedly sabotage from a disgruntled professor leaking info to the press etc. now what Michigan did was get the support of the president and AD to fight back against the allegations, and they won a national championship.

if Beard isn’t your man, it would be for personal reasons and not for his coaching, but if he’s not your guy then Dusty May is another one that could fix 90+% of IUs problems. And if you listen to any of his interviews you’ll understand that his FF run was not a fluke, and very different circumstances than Creans at Marquette.

if we can’t get either, then in about 5 years another coach will come out of no where a la Brad Stevens or Beard or May that we should absolutely go for, IU’s problem in the past, at least with Crean was we weren’t willing to cut bait with Crean after the 2010-2011 season because he had zeller coming in, now imagine had we pulled the trigger then and hired Stevens away? Based on Dolsons ability to pull the trigger and let a coach go, i hope we make a move on Beard or May, but I’m not sure we do that to one of our former players 

Remember, Glass, McRobbie, Gonso and Shoulders are gone from the administration that plagued us for so many years, so it’s possible! 

The fact that we have a new president really does give me more hope than before. She’s big into sports and wants to win. If Woodson does indeed get talked into stepping aside to let someone else deal with this, I’d be more excited about the next coaching search than before. I know Coach Cignetti hasn’t actually won a game here yet, but he’s a complete 180 from what we’ve ever had before and he’s literally someone who is trying to change the way perceive IU football. Just makes me think if they’re willing to go out and get someone like him to change the brand of IU football, then why not basketball with our next hire..

8 hours ago, IU_FanClub said:

You know what — fk that.  This is big boy business. If you don’t get it done, you’re out.  Who cares if he’s a former player.  As a former player he should be more disappointed than everyone.  Now he can make it easy and decide to retire or he can be fired.  Family is family, but  Business is business.

24 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

You know what — fk that.  This is big boy business. If you don’t get it done, you’re out.  Who cares if he’s a former player.  As a former player he should be more disappointed than everyone.  Now he can make it easy and decide to retire or he can be fired.  Family is family, but  Business is business.

We can get rid of him without the fanbase treating him like **** is what I’m trying to say

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Chris Beard would turn the program around in one season, and he has the personality to be a great fit for a large fan base (former knight assist, plus if anyone has watched his fireside chats would go crazy for that at IU)… however he comes with baggage. It would require IU to swing big and be ready when the inevitable scandal arrives in B town. Michigan is no stranger to this with this season. Supposedly sabotage from a disgruntled professor leaking info to the press etc. now what Michigan did was get the support of the president and AD to fight back against the allegations, and they won a national championship.

if Beard isn’t your man, it would be for personal reasons and not for his coaching, but if he’s not your guy then Dusty May is another one that could fix 90+% of IUs problems. And if you listen to any of his interviews you’ll understand that his FF run was not a fluke, and very different circumstances than Creans at Marquette.

if we can’t get either, then in about 5 years another coach will come out of no where a la Brad Stevens or Beard or May that we should absolutely go for, IU’s problem in the past, at least with Crean was we weren’t willing to cut bait with Crean after the 2010-2011 season because he had zeller coming in, now imagine had we pulled the trigger then and hired Stevens away? Based on Dolsons ability to pull the trigger and let a coach go, i hope we make a move on Beard or May, but I’m not sure we do that to one of our former players 

Remember, Glass, McRobbie, Gonso and Shoulders are gone from the administration that plagued us for so many years, so it’s possible! 

Beard can coach but zero chance IU looks his way.

I don't think that Woody will step down. That would require a level of self-awareness that I don't think he is capable of. He is too damn stubborn to admit his failures. He can't even take criticism from the fans that are telling him that his NHL-style substitution patterns are insane. He is unwilling to change, will not listen, and almost always blames everyone but himself for the team's failures. This does not seem like the kind of person that is suddenly going to have an epiphany that he shouldn't be coaching at IU, because in his mind he is a great coach and we are all a bunch of fools that don't know the first thing about basketball.

4 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

I don't think that Woody will step down. That would require a level of self-awareness that I don't think he is capable of. He is too damn stubborn to admit his failures. He can't even take criticism from the fans that are telling him that his NHL-style substitution patterns are insane. He is unwilling to change, will not listen, and almost always blames everyone but himself for the team's failures. This does not seem like the kind of person that is suddenly going to have an epiphany that he shouldn't be coaching at IU, because in his mind he is a great coach and we are all a bunch of fools that don't know the first thing about basketball.

No offense (you're certainly not the only one expressing this), but for me this post is so not true and kinda terrible. Here's why:

Woody is beloved by damn near everyone he's ever met. Do you really that love is for a guy who has the personal attributes highlighted above? Think of the people we know in our lives who are truly, universally beloved. Are they "low self-awareness," "can't take criticism," "will not listen," "thinks others are "a bunch of fools" people? No way; just the opposite. 

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Some top program a few years from now will declare Beard rehabilitated, hire him, and win big with him. 0% chance that it’s IU. 

We’re nearly 25 years into the post-Knight era. It’s very clear now that he was the reason for IU’s success and it won’t be replicated short of hiring another Knight. We aren’t a great program, we just hired a great coach. Multiple iterations of IU administration have shown that they only want to win by doing things their way. Unfortunately, their way of doing things is not conducive to 21st century college basketball success. Woodson should be fired after this season, but even if he is, there’s little reason to expect the next coach will fare better.