Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Some top program a few years from now will declare Beard rehabilitated, hire him, and win big with him. 0% chance that it’s IU. 

We’re nearly 25 years into the post-Knight era. It’s very clear now that he was the reason for IU’s success and it won’t be replicated short of hiring another Knight. Multiple iterations of IU administration have shown that they only want to win by doing things their way. Unfortunately, their way of doing things is not conducive to 21st century college basketball success. Woodson should be fired after this season, but even if he is, there’s little reason to expect the next coach will fare better. 

Few years? Hell why would Louisville wait any more than 2 months?

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

No offense (you're certainly not the only one expressing this), but for me this post is so not true and kinda terrible. Here's why:

Woody is beloved by damn near everyone he's ever met. Do you really that love is for a guy who has the personal attributes highlighted above? Think of the people we know in our lives who are truly, universally beloved. Are they "low self-awareness," "can't take criticism," "will not listen," "thinks others are "a bunch of fools" people? No way; just the opposite. 

You are right, I am wrong. He is the exact opposite of everything I said. Woody enjoys feedback and criticism from the fans, listens to everyone around him and implements their suggestions, and constantly blames his own bad coaching for losses. He hasn't demonstrated a single one of the attributes I listed, I just made the whole thing up. 

13 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

You are right, I am wrong. He is the exact opposite of everything I said. Woody enjoys feedback and criticism from the fans, listens to everyone around him and implements their suggestions, and constantly blames his own bad coaching for losses. He hasn't demonstrated a single one of the attributes I listed, I just made the whole thing up. 

Yeah - don't appreciate the passive-aggressive response. 

So give me examples. But before you do; take note that I completely agree that last night's game was truly awful and that we very well may be better served with a gentle early retirement by Woody.

But after a performance like last night what the hell is he supposed to say? He said his bigs weren't tough enough. RMK says that and we eat it up as telling the hard truth. If he says nice things about the players after last night? We complain that it's "Woody the wuss." 

He clearly stated last night that he has to get them better and that he f'd up because he didn't play Mgbako and Ware with fouls. He said that three times in a six minute presser. Last year he completely changed the offensive structure in January and started to feature TJD and JHS in a two man game. It worked. Staff loves him and doesn't leave. Players love him. Boosters and Board loves him on a personal level.

That DOES NOT make the results this year (and especially last night) acceptable, but to claim he's anything less than a great guy is just not credible to me.

Had a thought this morning after looking at the horrific box score. Outside of not feeling confident in what Woody does as a coach (separate topic), I think Clif Marshall might be a major issue as it relates to our shooting difficulties. They started and got really bad in the Archie era, both free throws and 3's. This "become as strong as a football player" technique is clearly impacting our shooting. Some, if not most, has to be attributed to the strength program. You don't just forget how to shoot when you come to IU. Something else happens. Or, I'm totally off.

9 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

Had a thought this morning after looking at the horrific box score. Outside of not feeling confident in what Woody does as a coach (separate topic), I think Clif Marshall might be a major issue as it relates to our shooting difficulties. They started and got really bad in the Archie era, both free throws and 3's. This "become as strong as a football player" technique is clearly impacting our shooting. Some, if not most, has to be attributed to the strength program. You don't just forget how to shoot when you come to IU. Something else happens. Or, I'm totally off.

Yeah you're totally off. We aren't a good shooting team because we don't consistently run any sets to free up shooters dating back to the Archie Miller tenure. We pound the post and stand around the 3 point line. 

It's too early for me to feel comfortable with hiring Chris Beard. He isn't far enough removed from his incident/arrest at Texas.

I don't care that the charges were dropped. He got drunk and beat up his girlfriend, there's really no denying that.

However, EVERYONE deserves a 2nd chance. If this all happened 10 years ago and Beard had no run-ins with the law since then, maintained his sobriety, and he was still coaching at the top of his game, then I'd be ok with considering him.

Not right now though. 

12 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

You would think with as much as these guys lift and as strong as they look in their well lit before and after photos, that they could get a God damn rebound

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yeah - don't appreciate the passive-aggressive response. 

So give me examples. But before you do; take note that I completely agree that last night's game was truly awful and that we very well may be better served with a gentle early retirement by Woody.

But after a performance like last night what the hell is he supposed to say? He said his bigs weren't tough enough. RMK says that and we eat it up as telling the hard truth. If he says nice things about the players after last night? We complain that it's "Woody the wuss." 

He clearly stated last night that he has to get them better and that he f'd up because he didn't play Mgbako and Ware with fouls. He said that three times in a six minute presser. Last year he completely changed the offensive structure in January and started to feature TJD and JHS in a two man game. It worked. Staff loves him and doesn't leave. Players love him. Boosters and Board loves him on a personal level.

That DOES NOT make the results this year (and especially last night) acceptable, but to claim he's anything less than a great guy is just not credible to me.

I will give Woody credit for admitting that he sat Ware and Mgbako for too long. That is a step in the right direction. I am not claiming that Woody isn't a great guy. I am sure he is very sociable and fun to be around, I just think that he is very stubborn about basketball and is stuck in his ways. I don't think that those two things are mutually exclusive. RMK was also beloved by his staff, his players, and by boosters (not so much by the board), and he was also very stubborn about basketball. I can't imagine RMK ever stepping down voluntarily either.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

If this year finishes badly?

I’d be quite surprised if he didn’t.

This just a hunch or any reasoning behind thinking he would get out of dodge earlier than expected?

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  1. Unsubstantiated whispers that he will consider packing it in.
  2. Family and people in the IU community that he respects asking him if this is still in his best interests at his age. 
  3. The grind that a 65 year old has to keep undertaking to do this job.
  4. The extraordinary financial incentive to take a negotiated immediate buyout -- not as much as full salary for three or four more years, but a truckload of immediate money nonetheless.

How much is his buyout after this season?

Just now, Stuhoo said:
  2. Family and people in the IU community that he respects asking him if this is still in his best interests at his age. 
  4. The extraordinary financial incentive to take a negotiated immediate buyout -- not as much as full salary for three or four more years, but a truckload of immediate money nonetheless.

Thanks, hadn't heard any of this. Fully anticipating some serious roster turnover, either through pro ball and/or portal, that I didn't see Woodson having the legs to try and fill the roster at his age. He's talking some big aspirations of what he'd like to achieve as well, that I just don't see it. Either he or the next coach is going to have some serious work to do to fill out a competent roster for next season.

Don't envy he or whoever the coach is next season - sadly we posters and fans may have to suffer through an even worse year. Long way to go, but I haven't seen Woodson's ability to land 9+ players on the recruiting and portal like a Beard did at Ole Miss, which from what I see on the court in 2023-24, is going to be required to achieve the conference and national championships that he is talking about.

Will continue to watch and hope for better days, but it sucks being a IU basketball fan at the moment

2 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

How much is his buyout after this season?

Until April 1, 2025, 100% of $4.2 million a year through 2027. So $12.6m.

50% of the money left on his deal after that, so on April 2, 2025 it drops to about $4.2m. 

All of it is paid in long term installments. All of this is something that could be reasonably easily negotiated.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

.....he also has a new grandchild too. I'm not sure if it is his first or not. I'm a grandfather of 3, two girls and a boy. Both girls are the oldest at 2. I will soon be 55 and those grandbabies are my wife and I's world! I stopped coaching HS softball because I didn't want to miss out on them growing up. JMO

53 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Yeah you're totally off. We aren't a good shooting team because we don't consistently run any sets to free up shooters dating back to the Archie Miller tenure. We pound the post and stand around the 3 point line. 

Explain free throws then.

I know we all point to the shooting but the inability to get rebounds, box out, unable to defend the three..... you would think someone could improve on these aspects if you're a little more detail orientated.  I just wonder about how these practices are conducted and how much time Woodson actually takes to teach proper form.  

47 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

It's too early for me to feel comfortable with hiring Chris Beard. He isn't far enough removed from his incident/arrest at Texas.

I don't care that the charges were dropped. He got drunk and beat up his girlfriend, there's really no denying that.

However, EVERYONE deserves a 2nd chance. If this all happened 10 years ago and Beard had no run-ins with the law since then, maintained his sobriety, and he was still coaching at the top of his game, then I'd be ok with considering him.

Not right now though. 

A couple of quick questions for you….

what is the opportunity cost of waiting? Missing out on beard and May? What is May goes to Louisville, or UNC?

Do you want to win a championship or not?

All of the greatest winners are overcompensating for some sort of trauma. If everything is a trade off, what are you willing to trade for a championship?

Just now, southernindianahoosier2 said:

A couple of quick questions for you….

what is the opportunity cost of waiting? Missing out on beard and May? What is May goes to Louisville, or UNC?

Do you want to win a championship or not?

All of the greatest winners are overcompensating for some sort of trauma. If everything is a trade off, what are you willing to trade for a championship?

Easy... Not willing to trade my head coach drunkenly beating up his wife. Got any other questions? Lol. 

Bruce Peal, Dusty May, Porter Moser, or Micah Shrewsburry? Much more appealing options right now.