Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Penn State - 1/26/22 @ 8:30 on BTN

Why does every freakin' game we play have to be a must win game?  Why can't we ever have a game that's just a who gives a rat's patootie?  

Penn State just (8-8) (3-5) but they've beaten us once.  If we don't play with some real green beans tomorrow night, they'll be (9-8) and (4-5) and I don't want to think about it.

Radio

Live Stats

30 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have this game on my must-win list. We need 6 more wins to get to 20 and be in the tourney IMO. So you don't want to get swept by PSU. Go Hoosiers

Agreed. I'm having a very hard time 6 more wins as is. Only 5 home games left and 2 of those are against ranked teams. Beating Nebraska on the road did very little to convince me we'll perform well on the road going forward. The Purdue win momentarily tricked me into thinking we've got a very manageable schedule coming up. Sunday reminded me that the schedule doesn't even matter b/c momentum is something this program is completely immune to. Lose tonight and we are toast. 

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Agreed. I'm having a very hard time 6 more wins as is. Only 5 home games left and 2 of those are against ranked teams. Beating Nebraska on the road did very little to convince me we'll perform well on the road going forward. The Purdue win momentarily tricked me into thinking we've got a very manageable schedule coming up. Sunday reminded me that the schedule doesn't even matter b/c momentum is something this program is completely immune to. Lose tonight and we are toast. 

PSU, Maryland, Rutgers all at home, NW, Minnesota on the road, and hopefully ILL or WIS at home too. Are all possibilities I have plus Maryland on the road this weekend. 

51 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

“Remember, IU fans, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that this letter finds you with victory, and finds you with victory often.  Your friend, Andy”

Shawshank. It may be appropriate that you've quoted a get out of jail hope letter vbg -- we've been locked up a long time

56 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have this game on my must-win list. We need 6 more wins to get to 20 and be in the tourney IMO. So you don't want to get swept by PSU. Go Hoosiers

Getting to 20 won’t guarantee getting in the tournament.    All depends on which 6 games IU won but definitely no guarantee

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

PSU, Maryland, Rutgers all at home, NW, Minnesota on the road, and hopefully ILL or WIS at home too. Are all possibilities I have plus Maryland on the road this weekend. 

Oh yeah, I’ve got all those as possible wins too. Yet we’ve proven we are capable of losing all of them as well. I just don’t have confidence (yet) that this team can win 6 of our 8 most winnable games. 

IU has been in every game except UM, and with the exception of maybe UM*, had only lost to clearly inferior teams twice, both on the road: PSU and Syracuse. So their work isn’t done but I anticipate being confident they’re in on selection Sunday. A couple wins this week won’t be big on the resume but will keep IU comfortably above the bubble (a road win, especially, would help).

*UM has been pretty bad at times but is obviously talented, and if their frontcourt guys hit 3s like they did Sunday the roster construction issues pretty much disappear.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Getting to 20 won’t guarantee getting in the tournament.    All depends on which 6 games IU won but definitely no guarantee

Has a Big Ten ever got to 20 wins and not got in the tourney? I'm sure it has probably happened but you know those numbers better than me. 

51 minutes ago, lillurk said:

IU has been in every game except UM, and with the exception of maybe UM*, had only lost to clearly inferior teams twice, both on the road: PSU and Syracuse. So their work isn’t done but I anticipate being confident they’re in on selection Sunday. A couple wins this week won’t be big on the resume but will keep IU comfortably above the bubble (a road win, especially, would help).

*UM has been pretty bad at times but is obviously talented, and if their frontcourt guys hit 3s like they did Sunday the roster construction issues pretty much disappear.

The problem is we've had a pretty easy schedule, 11 of our 14 wins have been against bad opponents with several of those being too close for comfort. The good wins? purdoodoo at home by 3, an O$U team that struggled post COVID pause at home, and ND in Indy (trending up because of their play). We were in some games against better competition but that's not trending the right direction.

Syracuse, Wiscy, and Iowa we completely forgot we had to play two halves.

We didn't show up against PSU or Michigan.

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Has a Big Ten ever got to 20 wins and not got in the tourney? I'm sure it has probably happened but you know those numbers better than me. 

Nebrasketball under Tim Miles one year. I'm sure USPS has the exact year and record. It was the year the Big 1.o was pretty down and I think Archie's first year.

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Nebraska went 13-5 in the B1G Archie’s first year and got left out.    They only beat 1 of the top 3 B1G teams and feasted on the lower half.  22-10 overall