Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Chris Beard (Texas Tech)

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Motion offense.

Off ball screens aplenty.

Attention to detail.

Tenacious man to man defense.

Never a doubt who is in charge.

A winner.

The man checks every box for us. Do we check the boxes for him?

Well I think he likes Assembly Hall based on his comments.

4 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I guess the question for me is can he recruit? I don’t know much about him.  Going to watch all his games this tournament to see how well they play. 

11th ranked class in 2020 and a 1 player class in 2021 which is obviously lower ranked. I don't think recruiting would be an issue. Hell, he beat Archie for Jahmius Ramsey a couple years ago.

7 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Out of curiosity my friend, who is your lead candidate at this point - assuming BS is off the table?

Honestly, I don't have one.  The primary names being thrown around (with a few exceptions) I think are solid candidates but each have something that concerns me.  I'll wait for Dolson's official announcement and I've already staked my rights to start the next Fire Coach _____________ thread.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Love ya BGleas, but for me Beard is every bit the complete home run that Stevens would have been.

Complete, unequivocal home run. ZERO chance that he would fail at IU. Zero.

He already makes so much money, but if he’s open to an offer , Dolson has already spoken with the Knights and no doubt gotten the biggest thumbs up possible.

I don't really disagree, especially long term. The main difference I would see is that I think from day 1 Stevens would have recruits calling him to come aboard. I think Beard would take longer (compared to Stevens, not compared to other college coaches) to burn in on that front. 

But yes, from a coaching and personality perspective he would be a home run hire. 

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Love ya BGleas, but for me Beard is every bit the complete home run that Stevens would have been.

Complete, unequivocal home run. ZERO chance that he would fail at IU. Zero.

He already makes so much money, but if he’s open to an offer , Dolson has already spoken with the Knights and no doubt gotten the biggest thumbs up possible.

I’m really hoping he’s ready to make a move. He’s an outstanding coach and it just seems like the perfect fit. I would think beyond the financials IU would offer him easier/better recruiting. 

Just now, kottke said:

I’m really hoping he’s ready to make a move. He’s an outstanding coach and it just seems like the perfect fit. I would think beyond the financials IU would offer him easier/better recruiting. 

I want beard as much as the next guy, but counterpoint to your argument is the gigantic fishbowl at IU compared to TT. I have no insight to if he would like that as a coach or if he likes less pressure at TT. Time will tell, but I feel like it’s fair to bring that up. 

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Y’all need to watch this video. Three Pat Knight references in 20 minutes and a big sign in his ‘war room’ that reads “The mental is to the physical as 4 is to 1”

That video was great. Unfortunately what I heard more than anything is that he’s already home. Yet the “I don’t talk about other jobs” combined with the connection to Pat (and maybe coaching in assembly sparked something in him?) makes this quite interesting.

6 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I want beard as much as the next guy, but counterpoint to your argument is the gigantic fishbowl at IU compared to TT. I have no insight to if he would like that as a coach or if he likes less pressure at TT. Time will tell, but I feel like it’s fair to bring that up. 

Yeah you’re absolutely right. I don’t know either. None of us know what drives these guys. Like you said, time will tell. I hope he’s up for it if we’re going after him because I think he’d be great.

21 minutes ago, kottke said:

The roster building piece would be so much fun to watch. He’s brought on guys in every conceivable way. High profile recruits, low profile recruits, grad transfers, true transfers, international. It’s been the  polar opposite of inside-out. Might make Old Fart tap out trying to keep up with it all, and that man is a machine.

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

The roster building piece would be so much fun to watch. He’s brought on guys in every conceivable way. High profile recruits, low profile recruits, grad transfers, true transfers, international. It’s been the  polar opposite of inside-out. Might make Old Fart tap out trying to keep up with it all, and that man is a machine.

Old Fart recruiting update for Coach Beard:

”I tried to get the Tuesday night stats for new IU target Vladislav Aungafadu, but the Moldovia-Botswana exchange student prep school league is only showing game logs in Swahili. Stand by while I take a LLONNNNG nap.”

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Shaka fired him this week if they lose this game...

Chris will be the new coach at Texas.

C’mon Texas get your crap together and don’t blow this game!