Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

Just now, Chris007 said:

So we really have a bunch of dudes who really don't stand out. 

Yes, much like last year we have a lot of if, if, if, if, scenarios (if “old Rob” shows up, if Hunter improves, if Geronimo and Lander make big leaps etc etc).  Would like us to land another “no doubt about it” starter from the portal but there don’t seem to be many players of that type available to us, so far.

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

Yes, much like last year we have a lot of if, if, if, if, scenarios (if “old Rob” shows up, if Hunter improves, if Geronimo and Lander make big leaps etc etc).  Would like us to land another “no doubt about it” starter from the portal but there don’t seem to be many players of that type available to us, so far.

I for one put Parker Stewart in the category of definite starter like TJD. Just not sure if it will be the #1, #2 or #3

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

My April starting lineup

Rob           But also could be KL

Xavier        But also could be Parker

Parker       But also could be Trey

Jordan       But also could be Race or Hunter

TJD            But this will only be TJD

My depth chart

Point - Phin or Lander / Johnson

Wing1 - Johnson/Galloway

Wing2 - Stewart/Leal

4 - Thompson / Hunter / Geronimo

5 - TJD / Thompson

Pretty confident in 3 of the guys starting (TJD, Johnson, Stewart). 1 and 4 are wildcards. I could even see Johnson taking the point if neither Phin or Lander step up (assumes Galloway or Leal really makes a jump too).

57 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Really????

Maybe you aren't looking hard enough.

If you look hard enough you can find a few comments to support most narratives... that doesn't mean it's an accurate picture though. Verdel Jones used to get worse comments than that after playing a decent game that IU won. Same with several other players that I could name. If anything it is kind of interesting that a young player that made the jump that Franklin did this past season, didn't get more comments, positive or negative, than he did.

52 minutes ago, Southside said:

My depth chart

Point - Phin or Lander / Johnson

Wing1 - Johnson/Galloway

Wing2 - Stewart/Leal

4 - Thompson / Hunter / Geronimo

5 - TJD / Thompson

Pretty confident in 3 of the guys starting (TJD, Johnson, Stewart). 1 and 4 are wildcards. I could even see Johnson taking the point if neither Phin or Lander step up (assumes Galloway or Leal really makes a jump too).

Big thing with Phin is that his offense has a very symbiotic relationship with the other guards, and plays his best when coupled with an effective high volume scorer. He had that his freshman year with Romeo, and had that sporadically his sophomore year with Green when he'd go off. This past season neither Franklin/Durham really fit that bill (both could occasionally will their way to 15+ points, but it didn't come easy). Maybe in part because he needs someone else to draw attention away from him and/or he panics and his confidence plummets when he is looked to personally jumpstart the offense. I think that Phin might really thrive playing with Johnson/Stewart at the other guard spots.

1 hour ago, iu eyedoc said:

Really????

Maybe you aren't looking hard enough.

They levels of reaching you just did to try to prove your point is really pathetic and flat out dishonest. 

Some of us have always stood firm that if someone wants to be here then they’re welcome and if they don’t then there’s the door. Don’t try to warp posts to fit your BS narrative.   

8 hours ago, Cd71 said:

Was just thinking the same thing.  I am a wait and see on Stewart.  

Frankly, I think we need to be wait and see on everyone -- except maybe TJD.  Every player has to improve and improve those skills CMW values.  We have a long way to go before we are projecting starters and PT.  

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

So we really have a bunch of dudes who really don't stand out. 

Well, yeah, you'll have that when you return most of a team that went 12-15.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I for one put Parker Stewart in the category of definite starter like TJD. Just not sure if it will be the #1, #2 or #3

Agreed, at the 2 or 3. We have three options at the 1, and I'm pretty sure one of them will get the nod.

26 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

Big thing with Phin is that his offense has a very symbiotic relationship with the other guards, and plays his best when coupled with an effective high volume scorer. He had that his freshman year with Romeo, and had that sporadically his sophomore year with Green when he'd go off. This past season neither Franklin/Durham really fit that bill (both could occasionally will their way to 15+ points, but it didn't come easy). Maybe in part because he needs someone else to draw attention away from him and/or he panics and his confidence plummets when he is looked to personally jumpstart the offense. I think that Phin might really thrive playing with Johnson/Stewart at the other guard spots.

I think with both Johnson and Stewart, either Phin or Lander will be in a pretty good position. I really like the thought of both penetrating with good wing options. It'll open up TJD as well. Just need a good 4 option IMO. 

I tend to think we'll see a difference in 'starters' to start the season and starters as the season progresses (as we did last season, etc.). 

Galloway is not ready to start on the wing imo. I like the kid a lot, but he has a lot of work to do to develop an outside shot. We need outside shooting along with slashing from the wing. I'd like Hunter on the wing but his D was not consistently at a level to guard wings. Leal can fit there assuming further development.  We're thin on wings.

We tend to get hung up on positions but also think we'll see Woodson working to establish more 'positionless' ball. That's going to come through more recruiting of length and quickness but would bank on seeing more player development to get that going. 

3 hours ago, OliviaPope40 said:

Interesting comments from Franklin on why he jumped.

He ain't Hoosier so I don't know who that is. By not being fair weather fans, we become true Hoosier fans through thick and thin. It's the same for players; it doesn't matter how many years he spent at IU. It matters to finish his college career in Cream and Crimson with his Hoosier brothers. 

14 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I tend to think we'll see a difference in 'starters' to start the season and starters as the season progresses (as we did last season, etc.). 

Galloway is not ready to start on the wing imo. I like the kid a lot, but he has a lot of work to do to develop an outside shot. We need outside shooting along with slashing from the wing. I'd like Hunter on the wing but his D was not consistently at a level to guard wings. Leal can fit there assuming further development.  We're thin on wings.

We tend to get hung up on positions but also think we'll see Woodson working to establish more 'positionless' ball. That's going to come through more recruiting of length and quickness but would bank on seeing more player development to get that going. 

I agree on position-less ball, but only to an extent. I think the 2 and 3 will be sorta interchangeable. I think the 5 will still be pretty separate/distinct in the 41. We have 3 guys IMO that can run the point, but only one of those are really wing candidates. I don't really know what to expect from the 4 though.

1 hour ago, Dalton26 said:

They levels of reaching you just did to try to prove your point is really pathetic and flat out dishonest. 

Some of us have always stood firm that if someone wants to be here then they’re welcome and if they don’t then there’s the door. Don’t try to warp posts to fit your BS narrative.   

You seem upset.

51 minutes ago, Southside said:

I agree on position-less ball, but only to an extent. I think the 2 and 3 will be sorta interchangeable. I think the 5 will still be pretty separate/distinct in the 41. We have 3 guys IMO that can run the point, but only one of those are really wing candidates. I don't really know what to expect from the 4 though.

Funny thing to me, the 2 and 3 really are the same position and should be interchangeable, just different sides of the floor (NBA). I agree with where you're coming from, it's just that we tend to look at guards and wings when it's sort of like having a point and two "wings" or 2 on-ball guards and a 'wing' (lol). I think (aggressive) Rob can play well off-ball and can man that 'wing' spot, hope to see him shoot more and with confidence, his outside shot can be strong when his head is in the game. (I'm kind of betting that the confidence - head issues were coming from CAM's style of coaching and we'll see a lot of improvement there under Woodson.) Would think Race and Hunter will run at the 4, but we haven't really had a baseline - running type 4 (e.g., Troy). I would like to see more of Galloway inside, he's around 6'4 or whatever but he's an excellent finisher, quick and strong 'downhill' and around the rim and would bet on him having a good soph jump. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Funny thing to me, the 2 and 3 really are the same position and should be interchangeable, just different sides of the floor (NBA). I agree with where you're coming from, it's just that we tend to look at guards and wings when it's sort of like having a point and two "wings" or 2 on-ball guards and a 'wing' (lol). I think (aggressive) Rob can play well off-ball and can man that 'wing' spot, hope to see him shoot more and with confidence, his outside shot can be strong when his head is in the game. (I'm kind of betting that the confidence - head issues were coming from CAM's style of coaching and we'll see a lot of improvement there under Woodson.) Would think Race and Hunter will run at the 4, but we haven't really had a baseline - running type 4 (e.g., Troy). I would like to see more of Galloway inside, he's around 6'4 or whatever but he's an excellent finisher, quick and strong 'downhill' and around the rim and would bet on him having a good soph jump. 

I thought going in to last season that while Phinisee's shooting percentage wasn't great, he did do well when he was able to setup and then catch the ball ready to shoot. This didn't happen very often his first 2 seasons but he was able to do that last season early on. That stopped happening, probably around the time conference season started. Part of it was just the offense falling apart as the season went on but it also seemed like he wasn't trying to find those kind of shots anymore. I hope in Woodson's offense he'll be able to do that because he's a much better spot up shooter than an off the dribble shooter.

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I'm just hoping Phin or Lander steps up at the point. I don't see either playing much wing though. I think Johnson will be a good wing that can also handle the ball if needed, and Stewart as a good wing with size (and also a decent handle). Yup, Race and Hunter at the 4. Also hoping Leal and Galloway develop too at the wing. Both have decent size but are different players. Love Galloway's effort, but he sorta looks out of control at times lol. Both should get good minutes. Really really hope Leal turns into a sniper.