Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

44 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That’s what younger fans remember as the high water mark of IU basketball.  

It’s quite a step down from the 60-ish years that preceded it. But it will become the standard eventually. 

I was spoiled because by the time I was 16 I saw 3 championships and many big ten championships 

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

People your age aren't the worry.  The worry is the people who are about 30 and younger.  We have been mostly mediocre to bad their entire life.  Your loyalty is based on watching 3 national championships in your formative years and then another good run in 1992.  You then saw a bit of a drop and then another good run in 2002.  All that before you hit 40 or so.  Then the wasteland after that.  People under 30 are mostly the wasteland.  They haven't had all of that history to support the loyalty.  They have only heard of what this was but to them it is ancient history.  I am 45 and I think it is People like me who are the tail end of the people who really remember what we were.  I was in 2nd grade for our last title. 

I think there are quite a few less die hard in my age group and younger and that isn't even accounting for the bandwagon people that have no attachment to the school that we aren't winning over right now.  If things are not improved soon, the people who remember the good times are going to be outnumbered by those who mostly remember bad.  When that happens this program is starting over from scratch.  We are Iowa at that point.

This is me. I’m in my late 20s. I didn’t become a fan until after the 2002 run, so I’ve never watched IU play a game past the Sweet 16. And heck, they’ve only played a Sweet 16 game four times during my lifetime. Crean, Archie, and Woodson have been the vast majority of my fan hood. I went to IU and loved my time there, but I moved away from Indiana and feel less connected to the school nowadays, in large part because sports have been in the gutter in recent years.  

I’m sure a wise guy will chime in with “you don’t care yet you’re still here posting.” Yes, I still post, but that’s about all I do. I like to ‘complain’ on here because I do still care, but I’m quickly losing hope. I rarely watch the games anymore. This team’s style of basketball is so ugly. The Empire Classic against UConn was a marquee matchup in MSG, but I didn’t bother making the quick trip into the city because I anticipated a blowout. That’s where the apathy sinks in. 30-40  years from now my generation will be the “donor class.” Will likely be harder to get donations from people who never experienced the ‘good ole days.’ 

It’s just very hard to see this program ever being anything more than what it’s been during my lifetime. A Coach Knight isn’t walking through the door to take over the program. 

I didn’t think Woodson would be fired.  Now, I do think he will be nudged out in one way or another.  The play on court is bad itself, but it’s the other extracurricular activities that the administration will take issue with.

All the technicals, flagrants, ejections, and not to mention the incident at Taco Bell and all the other incidents that have occurred.  I don’t know how he survives that.  If it was just poor play on the court, that’s one thing, but all these extra offenses will give the administration pause and I’m sure they are hearing about it from some very influential people.  Don Fischer calling this embarrassing is no small thing.

2 hours ago, GaryP said:

The one name for coach that I haven’t seen mentioned is Chris Collins.  He seems to have done a pretty good job at a high academic school with higher entrance scores,(I think),His kids play hard and he seems to have an eye for talent. I don’t think you would see the issues we are witnessing right now in Bloomington. 

He was on my short list before Crean got fired but he’s had some stinkers of years. He wouldn’t be on my list at the moment. 

Would Indiana offer enough money and resources to Dan Hurley? Hell, I would honestly bring back Sampson and I know that’s a stupid take but he’s been the best coach at Indiana since he was fired. 

I know there had to be some but I don't remember players getting techs under RMK. I don't remember one ever getting ejected from the game. I know  most of our ejections and techs come from flagrant fouls and with reviews it is easier to get rejected 

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is me. I’m in my late 20s. I didn’t become a fan until after the 2002 run, so I’ve never watched IU play a game past the Sweet 16. And heck, they’ve only played a Sweet 16 game four times during my lifetime. Crean, Archie, and Woodson have been the vast majority of my fan hood. I went to IU and loved my time there, but I moved away from Indiana and feel less connected to the school nowadays, in large part because sports have been in the gutter in recent years.  

I’m sure a wise guy will chime in with “you don’t care yet you’re still here posting.” Yes, I still post, but that’s about all I do. I like to ‘complain’ on here because I do still care, but I’m quickly losing hope. I rarely watch the games anymore. This team’s style of basketball is so ugly. The Empire Classic against UConn was a marquee matchup in MSG, but I didn’t bother making the quick trip into the city because I anticipated a blowout. That’s where the apathy sinks in. 30-40  years from now my generation will be the “donor class.” Will likely be harder to get donations from people who never experienced the ‘good ole days.’ 

It’s just very hard to see this program ever being anything more than what it’s been during my lifetime. A Coach Knight isn’t walking through the door to take over the program. 

Yep, for the long term you are exactly who I am talking about.  

12 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I know there had to be some but I don't remember players getting techs under RMK. I don't remember one ever getting ejected from the game. I know  most of our ejections and techs come from flagrant fouls and with reviews it is easier to get rejected 

Yeah but to be completely fair there wasn’t video replay back then, and it was much harder to get a technical than it is today. Thats like saying the 85 Bears never committed a roughing the passer penalty. 

3 hours ago, GaryP said:

The one name for coach that I haven’t seen mentioned is Chris Collins.  He seems to have done a pretty good job at a high academic school with higher entrance scores,(I think),His kids play hard and he seems to have an eye for talent. I don’t think you would see the issues we are witnessing right now in Bloomington. 

He is someone who I think could bring stability to the program. He has northwestern perched near the top of the B1G the last few years. I’d be happy with him. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

He is someone who I think could bring stability to the program. He has northwestern perched near the top of the B1G the last few years. I’d be happy with him. 

He is also an example of a program being patient. This is his 11th year there.  Woodys age works against him on the patience approach however. 

Why don't we get a coach who was a proven winner in the Big Ten. Won 2 conference titles, 3 sweet 16's, 4 tournament appearances in 5 years, sent multiple players to the NBA. I think that guy would do very well here. 

Don't know if anybody here remembers the Bruce Pearl-Deon Thomas incident. 
If not, here's a recap: As an Iowa assistant in the late 80s, Pearl recorded a phone conversation with Thomas, who played at Chicago Simeon and eventually was Illinois' Mr. Basketball. Just about everybody was recruiting him. Pearl got Thomas to admit he had received an offer of money and a vehicle from Illinois, then turned over the tape to the NCAA. 
Pearl has since had violations at just about every stop along the way since becoming a head coach, including having a main assistant at Auburn (former Pacer Chuck Person) arrested on bribery, fraud and conspiracy charges. 
IMO, if you're gonna rat someone out like he did with Illinois -- you need to, in turn, keep your a$$ squeaky clean. 
Pearl is a good coach and has a big personality, which is what IU needs. But I think he's a complete slimeball. My guess is Auburn is his final stop. Even though the Deon Thomas incident was over 30 years ago, I just can't see him coaching in the B1G. 
Hard no for me

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, hper50 said:

I’m a Reds and IU fan born in ‘94. Not ideal!

Wow, that’s hard to stay focused.  At least I’ve seen 3 World Series and 3 National Championships, you started following at the very worst for both teams.  How do you stay a fan?

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Except in the dance... losing to a 13, 14, 15 and 16 seeds recently... so there's that...

And I prefer to keep it that way; although, they are consistently dancing.  You can’t win the National Championship unless you dance!

14 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Ole Miss playing Auburn tonight.

Auburn has been killing it since losing to App State...

Beat us by 28 right after.

UNC Asheville by 25

USC by 16

Alabama State by 20

Chattanooga by 35

Penn by 20

Arkansas by 32

Texas A&M by 11

LSU by 15

Vandy by 15

Averaging 87.5 ppg and winning by an average of 21.7 ppg