Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Devonte Green Suspension

11 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Anyone hear why Moore did not play much yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Probably because he has been passed up by other guys. When he did get in he gave up an offensive rebound on a free throw which is something you just can't do if you're trying to earn playing time. 

Probably because he has been passed up by other guys. When he did get in he gave up an offensive rebound on a free throw which is something you just can't do if you're trying to earn playing time. 

That could be but he had been getting in much earlier than Forrester except yesterday

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Man, I whiffed that.    Not to speculate, but Rob was a complete non factor yesterday.  Had a good game against NW, but pretty pedestrian since his concussion.  It truly didn't look like a serious hit, but it was to the temple...   We need all hands on deck.... hope he snaps out of it.

Rob didn't score but he did completely lock up Winston defensively late in that game. So I wouldn't say that he was a non factor. 

Just now, 8bucks said:

That could be but he had been getting in much earlier than Forrester except yesterday

Which is why I would say he's been passed up in practice. Also CAM said that he has started coaching the team harder so maybe Moore hasn't responded well to that. 

3 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Not much of a change.

Four previous games:

Rutgers - 4 minutes

Michigan - 0 minutes

Northwestern 2 minutes

Purdue 3 minutes

Its not a mystery as to wether or not Archie thinks he is ready.

Improper length to width ratio. What I mean is, MSU presents a particular problem for a guy like Moore.
Ward and Tillmann both outweigh him by 40 and 50 pounds respectfully. The US Dept. of Weights and Measures claims this is enough to stand him up, and wheel his butt out of the paint like he was strapped to a refrigerator dolly. Or it could just be that Davis was playing well and Jake is more physical.

Improper length to width ratio. What I mean is, MSU presents a particular problem for a guy like Moore.
Ward and Tillmann both outweigh him by 40 and 50 pounds respectfully. The US Dept. of Weights and Measures claims this is enough to stand him up, and wheel his butt out of the paint like he was strapped to a refrigerator dolly. Or it could just be that Davis was playing well and Jake is more physical.

Our guys need to learn the art of the flop or showing the ability to act a bit. Haarms defended Ward decently by flying across the court when Ward turned into him. I saw the same thing against us but our defender didn’t flop.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Our guys need to learn the art of the flop or showing the ability to act a bit. Haarms defended Ward decently by flying across the court when Ward turned into him. I saw the same thing against us but our defender didn’t flop.

I've never seen someone his fall over so easily.  I don't blame him for doing it if he gets the call.  It's an officiating issue.

We are one of the few teams that doesn’t seem to attempt drawing charges, much less flops. I often wonder if it comes down to coaching philosophy. The flop I mean. It always seemed to me that teams like Wisky and Purdue are flop happy teams. I believe it’s taught. Like it’s part of the system. Been that way for years. Other teams don’t do it at all. Like us and Illinois. Always wondered why that is. I’d be a non flop coach I think, mostly because it always seemed 50/50 to me.

I've never seen someone his fall over so easily.  I don't blame him for doing it if he gets the call.  It's an officiating issue.

I’d really love it if they would can the hook&hold stuff and address the flop issue over the off season. Offensive fouls are meant to be about player control and the right to defensive position. It’s nothing close to that anymore. It’s about tricking the zebras into blowing a whistle by acting like you were fouled. The better the act, the more likelihood of a call. That’s not what I wish to see in a basketball game. I call it cheating personally. The B1G wants itself to be perceived as a tough, physical, league yet it allows half its teams to make that type of weak-titty plays to change the games. If half your teams are weak-titty fakes, then your league isn’t known as tough, it’s just known as weak-titty. I apologize for the language, most of that is Badger hatred pouring out in print.

I’d really love it if they would can the hook&hold stuff and address the flop issue over the off season. Offensive fouls are meant to be about player control and the right to defensive position. It’s nothing close to that anymore. It’s about tricking the zebras into blowing a whistle by acting like you were fouled. The better the act, the more likelihood of a call. That’s not what I wish to see in a basketball game. I call it cheating personally. The B1G wants itself to be perceived as a tough, physical, league yet it allows half its teams to make that type of weak-titty plays to change the games. If half your teams are weak-titty fakes, then your league isn’t known as tough, it’s just known as weak-titty. I apologize for the language, most of that is Badger hatred pouring out in print.

I loved how Davidson drew like 1,734 charges in one game and then couldn’t draw one for several games. It’s almost as if the Big Ten has complete control over what they want the officials to call in games...

I loved how Davidson drew like 1,734 charges in one game and then couldn’t draw one for several games. It’s almost as if the Big Ten has complete control over what they want the officials to call in games...

The one charge call I cannot abide over all others is this.
The ball handler drives and gets even with the defender. The defender gives ground and sprints along side the ball. At the last second, leaps in front of the ball handler, with absolutely no intention of keeping his feet. Then pushes off his feet at the inevitable point of contact and slides 10 feet back like he was steam rolled. That call is 100% bull crap and it is the new weapon of the University of Wisconsin. Please address this B1G.

Since I've been hard on the kid, I'll respond to this.   Green made some timely and much needed shots yesterday. No doubt about it.   Brass nuggets and those plays were needed.  He also made a couple of nice passes and had 5 assists.  (Albeit on 2-3 we finally made jumpers or he and the rest of the team would ALL have more than they do)   He also quit on defense several times, had 4 turnovers - including the one late in regulation that could easily have cost the opportunity to win, and took a couple of bad shots.  
While it's true we don't win without him, it's also true we don't win if MSU doesn't miss 14 FT's.  It's also true we don't win for several other reasons.  Since he is one of our limited options, yes....we "need" him; but I don't want to confuse that with "he played well."  He didn't.    In fact, when the team watches film, his defense will be embarrassing.  

If Green hit 3 3s, shot 50%, and led the team in assists, but did not play well, and we beat the #6 team on the road, who did? Morgan didn't play, and Romeo, while he hit some big shots, was a negative for about the first 35 minutes. Romeo was key down the stretch but not the reason it was close until then. A lot of guys played well yesterday, and Green was certainly one of them.

His "embarrassing" defense kept the best player in the Big 10 in check. Both he and Phinisee had a good defensive game. Winston had 26 points but needed 22 shots. And Green added a block and a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

If Green hit 3 3s, shot 50%, and led the team in assists, but did not play well, and we beat the #6 team on the road, who did? Morgan didn't play, and Romeo, while he hit some big shots, was a negative for about the first 35 minutes. Romeo was key down the stretch but not the reason it was close until then. A lot of guys played well yesterday, and Green was certainly one of them.

His "embarrassing" defense kept the best player in the Big 10 in check. Both he and Phinisee had a good defensive game. Winston had 26 points but needed 22 shots. And Green added a block and a steal.

There is a big difference between playing well and making a couple of plays.  Green got beat time and time again yesterday and he quit defensively on a couple of other occasions.   The win had at least as much to do with MSU's failures as it did our successes.  Believe me, I'll take it; but I don't feel like going overboard giving credit to Green or anyone else defensively.  Romeo was horrible again at times as well.   Watch the game again....objectively.  Green did not play well.

10 hours ago, Free Jurkin! said:

He also led the team in turnovers and was the one that got beat on the play when Smith barely got his finger on it.  Oh and gave up the late 3 in regulation to MSU.

13 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

We are one of the few teams that doesn’t seem to attempt drawing charges, much less flops. I often wonder if it comes down to coaching philosophy. The flop I mean. It always seemed to me that teams like Wisky and Purdue are flop happy teams. I believe it’s taught. Like it’s part of the system. Been that way for years. Other teams don’t do it at all. Like us and Illinois. Always wondered why that is. I’d be a non flop coach I think, mostly because it always seemed 50/50 to me.

The "King" of the "Flop".

Never heard that term before. May I use it in my daily vernacular going forward?

16 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

And we B1G fans all take special pride in our collective "strongtitties!"   lol