Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

A Reason For Optimism

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

While this year is looking like a work in progress at best and more likely a rebuild, I thought I'd try to spell out a real reason for optimism:

Players on current roster who are generally/likely positive contributors:

• Al Durham - Freshman
  • Justin Smith - Freshman
  • DeVonte Green - Sophomore
  • DeRon Davis - Sophomore
  • Juwan Morgan - Junior
  • Colin Hartman - Senior

Players on current roster who are generally/likely NOT positive contributors:

• Tim Priller - Senior
  • Freddie McSwain - Senior
  • Josh Newkirk - Senior
  • Robert Johnson - Senior
  • Curtis Jones - Sophomore

Too soon to tell - Clifton Moore, Race Thompson.

I believe this explains a lot of the patience and 'silver lining optimism' expressed by the board.

I was thinking the same last night. At first, I thought having as many new players coming in next year as we do wasn't the greatest scenario. Now, I think the more, the better.

We played a pretty decent half and actually showed some mental toughness. I guess we need to look at the positives. That was more than we could say the first two games. If we could just get some players to cut their stupid mistakes in half, we could be pretty competitive.

1 minute ago, biteoftheapple said:

I have a question, what is Hartmans injury currently? Is there an reason to have optimism he can play at all?

Thought it was a groin pull.

Tim Priller was a waste of a 4 year scholarship. IU gave him a degree for basically being a practice body.

I mean, he did have to go to class to earn that degree. There’s no degree for playing on a basketball team

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

35 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Tim Priller was a waste of a 4 year scholarship. IU gave him a degree for basically being a practice body.

Better to have a non-existent senior riding the bench than another senior guard who's not buying in taking minutes from the promising young guys.

I’m extremely encouraged and that’s coming from someone who is usually a pessimist. I love that the freshmen are playing well. It gives me hope that these guys are playing solid in Archie’s system, one that they weren’t even recruited for. It tells me that our freshmen next year, who are built for this system, can have a major impact. Add in these young guys improving all year and I think we are for sure a tournament team next year. 

This year we will continue to take lumps, but like many others said I expect us to be competing with anyone not named Duke/MSU by January/February. This isn’t a 3 game project guys, it’s one that will take at least 75% of the season and could take longer. Enjoy the games and improvement during the process.

The contrast I've been thinking about today is roster and style of play.  Tom Crean inherited an essentially empty roster and the team played like it.  He eventually got players that had talent and his style of play and the total system was still lacking.

Archie inherited a roster that has a modest amount of talent (much more than Crean's first year) that wasn't going to be successful whether he or CTC were the coach this year.  Even so, with this team you can see what they're trying to do - the defense is far from a finished product but noticeably more capable than last year.  As the freshmen mature and Arch stocks the roster with players he feels fit what he's trying to instill, I think we'll see something we'll be pleased with.

Personally, I never saw a structure to the offense or defensive under Tom Crean that I really felt was going to get the job done with any consistency.  I can already see elements of what I believe is a recipe for success with this team, but right now we're missing some ingredients and they haven't been blended and cooked yet. Now I shall seek some lunch.

5 hours ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

I'm definitely optimistic about the Archie era. I'm still optimistic about this season.

You know, when you have a team that is void of superstars, it is imperative that you get leadership and production from your seniors and upperclassmen. We haven't gotten that yet this year. Newkirk and particularly Johnson have played way under their potential thus far. I have a feeling that's gonna change here in the next month or so. Hartman and Morgan have already been hurt... once they get healthy, that will help a lot. If/when we can get those guys playing close to their potential (and I honestly believe it will happen this year) we'll have a completely different ball club. And we'll be more than competitive.

Remember last November? We beat Kansas and UNC. And what did that really tell us about the team? Not much. My opinion is that it is WAY too early to write off this team. I'm not saying we'll rebound and make the tournament, but we're gonna be a lot better. If we're still playing like this at the end of January, I'll admit that I was wrong.

Can we ban this guy?  He's always coming in here with reasoned and well thought out posts throwing water on our otherwise hail and brimstone raging infernos.  :farting_smiley:

Thanks Gnarly, keep it up.

I am enjoying the sunshine and optimism here.

I think it's a 3 year rebuild mode.

This year is going to be terrible record wise. Next could be respectable, especially with Romeo, it could also be bad though.

3rd year we should be competing where we'd like.

I was hoping magically it wouldn't have been this bad. I thought/hoped Archie could work some voodoo magic or pixie dust this team into some semblance of a winner.

I like what and how we are doing things. It should work if we can get the talent. To be seen on the recruiting front. It's a good start, Romeo makes it a great start but we need a talent upgrade at EVERY position including the spots where we have serviceable, nice players.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

IU will be fine. They’ll get it together this season and be a good basketball team. We’ve seen glimpses of the freshman being good contributors. We’ve seen how Archie is in regards to how he expects his team to play. We’ve seen the class that’s coming in next year. Archie has IU in a good position and it will only get better as the season goes along. Especially if a certain someone commits to IU

I am enjoying the sunshine and optimism here.

I think it's a 3 year rebuild mode.

This year is going to be terrible record wise. Next could be respectable, especially with Romeo, it could also be bad though.

3rd year we should be competing where we'd like.

I was hoping magically it wouldn't have been this bad. I thought/hoped Archie could work some voodoo magic or pixie dust this team into some semblance of a winner.

I like what and how we are doing things. It should work if we can get the talent. To be seen on the recruiting front. It's a good start, Romeo makes it a great start but we need a talent upgrade at EVERY position including the spots where we have serviceable, nice players.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I believe IU is a tournament team next season with or without Romeo. Durham and Green will be a year stronger and wiser. That's not a great backcourt in talent but they can lead with attitude and toughness. Phinisee and Anderson will be serviceable learning their roles.

Smith is going to be a great one. Another year getting stronger he will finish better around the basket. Hunter and Smith could almost be interchangeable to lockdown the wing spot.

Davis will have another full year in the system and getting in better shape. Hopefully Morgan has a good rest of this season and things click for him.

The reason I feel good about competing next season is the size upgrade. Thompson will replace McSwain in the rotation. Moore should have enough strength to compete. Forrester could get a little time here and there too.

Uggh, already sick of my Purdue co-workers giving me the 'ol "how about them Hoosiers?!"....if they only knew what's coming...all of them are just about the most ignorant, immature people you'll ever meet, too. (Not saying all purdue fans are, but these particular guys certainly fit the bill). They seem to care more about how bad IU does rather than how well their team does. My obsession with IUBB let's it really get under my skin, haha. 

Edited by IUrocker

I think we will improve this year still, especially when Hartman returns. Moving forward I think we are in a good/very good place. I do have some questions still but overall feeling good. 

Archie talked about how he thinks Jerome Hunter could be a big guard. If that’s the case, and he is good enough as a freshman, then you could see a lineup of 

PG - Green (JR)/Durham (SO)

SG - Hunter (FR)

SF - Smith (SO)

PF - Morgan (SR)

C - Davis (JR)

I really like this lineup from a size/length/athleticism standpoint. 

Uggh, already sick of my Purdue co-workers giving me the 'ol "how about them Hoosiers?!"....if they only knew what's coming...all of them are just about the most ignorant, immature people you'll ever meet, too. (Not saying all purdue fans are, but these particular guys certainly fit the bill). They seem to care more about how bad IU does rather than how well their team does. My obsession with IUBB let's it really get under my skin, haha. 

It's the dumb ones who do the most ribbing. All you have to do is remind them where two of their best backyard prospects have committed to play ball next season. Odds are they won't even know, which means you get to be the one to educate them!

And remind them who got right to the top of the pack with two top ten guys for 2018 in no time at all. And 2019? It's looking pretty darn good for the candy stripes so far.

Gah, I can't wait! I hope it's a long and insufferable Archie Era for those Purdue Pete-r Eaters.