Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

42 minutes ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

Tyme blocked me on Twitter. A lot of speculation that is a burner for an assistant coach even though he says he works in the housing department at IU.

I promise he doesn’t work there. Not enough room for two know it alls.

It's the age-old issue.  No coach has really had the players with the right skill set to employ in his scheme.

RMK, at the end, did not get his smart, team-oriented, ball players...until the Jeffries team which was too late.

Crean did not get the Dwayne pro or greyhound wing players.  But he did not realize that.

Archie didn't get his stellar guard that he needed.  That and long-limbed defensive oriented team players.

Woody has not gotten his outside-oriented ballers that can create and handle the ball. Where is that PG and SG and Sf?

It is tough to coach a team that doesn't fit.

So what’s the big deal with this Rice kid? He’s shooting 28% from 3, (okay that’s Mike Woodson style I’ll give you that), he averages 3 turnovers a game, but puts up 15PPG in the worst power conference. 

He’s listed at 6’3”, that’s ideal. Can he defend? I’m too lazy to pull up Synergy. Indiana needs bodies I guess. 

1 minute ago, Trish said:

So what’s the big deal with this Rice kid? He’s shooting 28% from 3, (okay that’s Mike Woodson style I’ll give you that), he averages 3 turnovers a game, but puts up 15PPG in the worst power conference. 

He’s listed at 6’3”, that’s ideal. Can he defend? I’m too lazy to pull up Synergy. Indiana needs bodies I guess. 

PAC 12 freshman of the year. 1st team all league. 

His advanced analytics have been shared multiple times. He’s good, probably very good

11 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Unfortunately, I think who he targets/prioritize and who he should target/prioritize are two very different things.

I agree with that but Conwell has to be next. We need a shooter bad. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the Stanford kid is next. I don’t care what big man we get. I only like the Evansville kid 

17 minutes ago, Trish said:

He did overcome cancer, so that might have something to do with those stats 

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Conwell, Evansville kid, whichever big comes first and Hickman along with Rice and we can wrap this thread up in a nice bow.  Leave last one open for a late add 

I would run naked through campus with excitement with that lineup. As I tell my wife don’t worry no one is going to see anything. 

No I’m all seriousness that’s a home run for the portal.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Also would add how will his numbers change when changing conferences. I don't follow the Pac-12 much but I tend to believe the defense is a little better in the BT

These are the posts I love because #1:  I don't know the answer and #2:  it allows me to try to geek the math and see if there is an answer.

Haven't put the numbers in (about to do so), but my gut says that the past season there was very little difference.  I also think if the difference was minor, you still can expect his numbers to improve next season because of the jump from being a freshman to a sophomore.

Now to run the numbers....

Ken Pom defensive ranks

Big Ten   Pac 12  
Rutgers 5 Arizona 10
Michigan St 9 Washington St 26
Purdue 12 Utah 47
Maryland 14 Colorado 49
Nebraska 43 UCLA 50
Wisconsin 46 Arizona State 64
Northwestern 54 Oregon 70
Ohio St 63 USC 78
Illinois 80 Washington 100
Penn St 81 Stanford 128
Indiana 105 California 139
Minnesota 115 Oregon St 170
Iowa 157 AVERAGE 78
Michigan 182    
AVERAGE 69    

So on average, the Big Ten did rank higher in defensive efficiency that the Pac 12 -- but the difference was not that large (average of 69th in the Big Ten, average of 78 in Pac 12).  

Conversely, what might actually be a concern for numbers have a considerable drop should they come to IU would be transfers from the Missouri Valley Conference:

MVC
Bradley 62
Drake 73
Missouri St 110
Indiana State 114
Northern Iowa 125
Belmont 130
UIC 135
Illinois St 142
S Illinois 145
Evansville 174
Murray St 188
Valparaiso 276
AVERAGE 140

Was interested to see that Indiana State ranked so low.....but having the 13th ranked offense made up for that.