Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Hate to keep bringing him up, but Tyme confidently says Rice to Indiana is done.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Saw this too. Weird relationship he’s got with Rabby, Tony and others. Interesting to follow on Twitter non the less 

39 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Saw this too. Weird relationship he’s got with Rabby, Tony and others. Interesting to follow on Twitter non the less 

Tyme blocked me on Twitter. A lot of speculation that is a burner for an assistant coach even though he says he works in the housing department at IU.

More like struck a massive eyebrow raise and inquires of what in the actual hell he was talking about. There's no crow in the vicinity that need be eaten at this point.
But it's fun to watch members of the Woodson Derangment Syndrome here squirm with any possibilities of his success.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Also would add how will his numbers change when changing conferences. I don't follow the Pac-12 much but I tend to believe the defense is a little better in the BT

If you mean more mugging, then you're right

1 hour ago, HoosierHuddle said:

The sniping back and forth and complaining about mods and what is or is not on topic looks a whole like the Peegs boards ha. Regardless, some mostly rambling thoughts on potential roster construction as we see IU's targets emerge and visits scheduled...

-At guard, IU is very close to securing a commitment from Myles Rice. Appears we just need to not screw up the visit this weekend. Rice is a very good first domino to fall. He has a great story (cancer survivor), is a sophomore by year but is old by age so you'd hope he can be a leader with maturity, very good at getting to the basket, athletic, his FT% suggests his three-point shooting could improve quite a bit next season, plus-defender with good size. 

-IU is favored for Kanaan Carlyle. He and Rice are apparently quite tight. High potential with multiple years of eligibility. Not a good perimeter shooter but I do think he helps IU quite a bit. 

-If we succeed and added Rice and Carlyle, that's a big upgrade in the background and then we can swing big to hopefully land Ryan Conwell. I would imagine that would remove Connor Hickman. Heck, landing Rice and Carlyle might remove Hickman anyway. Conwell is a better player but Hickman would be a nice addition as well. The one thing missing from that backcourt (if adding Rice and Carlyle) is a proven knockdown shooter but the ability to penetrate and get downhill with the ball and have some dynamism from our backcourt is a major upgrade from what we had in 2023-2024.

-That brings us to the frontcourt. Nothing is unanimous but nearly all of us want to see IU play more time with one big instead of two. As much as I want to see that for long stretches, it does seem grounded in reality. Mike Woodson told everyone, he believes what IU did systematically on offense worked, we just needed better shooters/guards to execute it. So, with that as a near pre-requisite...I think Oumar Ballo is the best option on the board at center. I know IU's ceiling with him isn't particularly sky-high but he sure does raise the floor (in my opinion). Advanced analytics are not everything but his Box Score Plus/Minus (BPM) is 8.1...the exact same as Ware's was last season. He's a monster physically, an elite rebounder and an above-average rebounder (including a really good offensive rebounder). He's also very good in the lob game on pick and rolls, something that could be really effective with Myles Rice and some with Trey Galloway (don't know about Carlyle with that as Stanford didn't really try that). Ballo is not as good of a passer out of post sets as Amari Williams is but he's better at basically everything else than Williams is (same thing for Payne). The big red flag is FT shooting for Ballo. Ideally, IU lands Ballo and somehow convinces Ben Humrichous to play 20-25 minutes. They could do lineups with Malik-Ballo, Malik-Humrichous, Humrichous-Ballo, Mgbako-Ballo, etc...Lord knows Malik gets in enough foul trouble that there would still be minutes available. Selling Humrichous on that will not be easy though. 

-If IU added Carlyle/Rice/Conwell, the perimeter defense would be SOOOO much better than it was last season. Whew, that's a lot of rambling and it's likely all for naught anyway as the end result will probably look much different than the expectations anyway. Go Hoosiers.

appreciate your analysis

6 minutes ago, hoosiersoxfan said:

Some kids just fly under the radar.  What was Vic rated before he came to IU?  

Memory ain’t what it used to be, but I seem to recall he was 130ish or so by Rivals and Sheehey was either outside the 150 or barely inside of it. The best example is probably OG, who wasn’t ranked anywhere.

1 hour ago, HoosierHuddle said:

The sniping back and forth and complaining about mods and what is or is not on topic looks a whole like the Peegs boards ha. Regardless, some mostly rambling thoughts on potential roster construction as we see IU's targets emerge and visits scheduled...

-At guard, IU is very close to securing a commitment from Myles Rice. Appears we just need to not screw up the visit this weekend. Rice is a very good first domino to fall. He has a great story (cancer survivor), is a sophomore by year but is old by age so you'd hope he can be a leader with maturity, very good at getting to the basket, athletic, his FT% suggests his three-point shooting could improve quite a bit next season, plus-defender with good size. 

-IU is favored for Kanaan Carlyle. He and Rice are apparently quite tight. High potential with multiple years of eligibility. Not a good perimeter shooter but I do think he helps IU quite a bit. 

-If we succeed and added Rice and Carlyle, that's a big upgrade in the background and then we can swing big to hopefully land Ryan Conwell. I would imagine that would remove Connor Hickman. Heck, landing Rice and Carlyle might remove Hickman anyway. Conwell is a better player but Hickman would be a nice addition as well. The one thing missing from that backcourt (if adding Rice and Carlyle) is a proven knockdown shooter but the ability to penetrate and get downhill with the ball and have some dynamism from our backcourt is a major upgrade from what we had in 2023-2024.

If IU signs Rice as expected, I sure hope they pair him with a good shooter in the back-court. We can hope/expect/project a big Soph leap in shooting all we want,  but a Rice/Carlyle backcourt with Trey off the bench, sure doesn't say 'huge improvement' to me, certainly in shooting anyway. We'd need a huge defensive improvement, since as I already said earlier in this thread, Rice/Carlyle/Mbako/Reneau/Any center on the list currently = a 4 in 1 out offense. Probably 52ppg for the team :(