Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

18 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Ehhh. Calipari has the better college resume undeniably but he's been at it for decades. His only true success has come via a generational college player in Anthony Davis. Underachieved massively with Boogie Cousins and John Wall at UK. Didn't win a title with Derrick Rose... tons of NBA players over the years. Doing less with more talent than most coaches could dream of... they lost to Oakland this year and Cal was totally useless on the sidelines. He's no X's and O's mastermind... not to say Woody is either. But if we're just talking coaching ability and not resume, you can reasonably make the case it's at least "close" 

Don't disagree he has underperformed in the tournament the last few years at UK and should have more titles than he has produced with the players he has had, but year in and year out he gives you the opportunity every year to win a national championship. Not many coaches give you that chance. Being a HC is about promoting your brand, recruiting, developing talent, and winning games. He's been pretty successful at all of those his whole career. Not sure Woody is good at any of them honestly. UK would never put up with Mike Woodson, but the bar has been lowered so much at IU, our admin doesn't seem to care. 

46 minutes ago, KYHoosier said:

There’s no way you actually believe this. I’m no UK fan but Calipari is 10x the coach Woody ever thought about being. It’s not even close honestly 

100% believe this. I also prefer Woody to Will Wade and many others. Hell, at least Wade is a good on court coach. Calipari can’t even say that anymore.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

100% believe this. I also prefer Woody to Will Wade and many others. Hell, at least Wade is a good on court coach. Calipari can’t even say that anymore.

Curious why over Wade? He is someone I’d take at IU in a heart beat. None of the paying players is an issue anymore. And I get the jab at Cal for not winning games but everyone witnessed them. It’s just another toothless NCAA “penalty”. Just like the Fab 5 didn’t happen? Yes it did I witnessed it live and watched the documentary on it. lol. The revisionist stripping of titles for rules that have since been deemed illegal by the US Supreme Court is silly. The disdain should be placed on the NCAA not on the coaches who actually were in the right per the US Supreme Court ruling. 

43 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If he is such a bad coach, why do you think UK stuck with him for another year if there are so many better options out there? Don't tell me the 33 million dollar buyout as it was reported they could find the funds to do so if that's the direction they decided to go

6 minutes ago, KYHoosier said:

If he is such a bad coach, why do you think UK stuck with him for another year if there are so many better options out there? Don't tell me the 33 million dollar buyout as it was reported they could find the funds to do so if that's the direction they decided to go

$33 million is a good starting reason. Top 5 recruiting class. Emeritus slack for prior service when UK had decent assistant coaches, was able to pay more than relatively honest schools, and before the game passed him by.

Delivering those bags of cash to Rose, Wall, and Davis bought him a lifetime achievement award.

37 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Calipari has been to 7 elite eights in 14 opportunities at UK. He was 25-6 and 1st in the SEC the year the tournament got canceled. The hate on him is copium. IU would build him a statue if we had the past 15 years UK has had. 

Maybe not a statue, but at least name a street after him!

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

Curious why over Wade? He is someone I’d take at IU in a heart beat. None of the paying players is an issue anymore. And I get the jab at Cal for not winning games but everyone witnessed them. It’s just another toothless NCAA “penalty”. Just like the Fab 5 didn’t happen? Yes it did I witnessed it live and watched the documentary on it. lol. The revisionist stripping of titles for rules that have since been deemed illegal by the US Supreme Court is silly. The disdain should be placed on the NCAA not on the coaches who actually were in the right per the US Supreme Court ruling. 

It could be noted that Wade's regular season success hasn't translated to the postseason.  He's coaching in 5 NCAA tournaments and went 2-5 and never advanced beyond the round of 32.  The year he was at LSU and his team made the sweet sixteen when Wade was there, Wade did not coach the team in the tournament because he was suspended....so the only real tournament success his teams have had were when he wasn't on the sidleline.

Small sample space, but people didn't want Dusty May here despite him being to a final four and Wade has never made the sweet sixteen.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Calipari has been to 7 elite eights in 14 opportunities at UK. He was 25-6 and 1st in the SEC the year the tournament got canceled. The hate on him is copium. IU would build him a statue if we had the past 15 years UK has had. 

UK fans are mad because it's been 9 years since their last Final Four. Indiana fans are convincing themselves Woodson is good enough because of going to the 2nd round once.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

That street could be named “Bag O Cash Street.”

IU was not willing to do that when Cal was soooooo “successful.”

Calipari took over the UK job in 2009. Since then he’s gone to 7 elite eights, 4 final fours, and won a national title. Six SEC regular season titles + six SEC tournament titles. I know you’re a huge Calipari hater, but you’ll be hard pressed to find many coaches during that span with more success. Dude has gone to at least the elite eight in half of his seasons at UK. IU has gone to one elite eight in the past 30 years. 

29 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Calipari took over the UK job in 2009. Since then he’s gone to 7 elite eights, 4 final fours, and won a national title. Six SEC regular season titles + six SEC tournament titles. I know you’re a huge Calipari hater, but you’ll be hard pressed to find many coaches during that span with more success. Dude has gone to at least the elite eight in half of his seasons at UK. IU has gone to one elite eight in the past 30 years. 

1) I’m talking about now, not 10-15 years ago.

2) I’m a “front of the jersey” guy; Calipari is a “back of the jersey” coach.

3) If you’re asking who I would prefer starting now and going forward? My first choice would be a May, Shrewsbury, Bucky McMillan type.

Woody is not my favorite choice going forward, but he’s an alumni brother and a good guy. Prefer him to the Caliparis of the sport.

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Dead week gonna be a long week in IU recruiting circles no?  

Just the way Woodson drew it up.

Probably heading out on another well-deserved vacation this week.